Scientific Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Scientific Linux - Linux ; https://www.scientificlinux.org/ SL is a Linux release put together by Fermilab, CERN, and various other labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to have a common install base for the ...

  1. Scientific Linux

    https://www.scientificlinux.org/

    SL is a Linux release put together by Fermilab, CERN, and various
    other labs and universities around the world. Its primary purpose is
    to reduce duplicated effort of the labs, and to have a common install
    base for the various experimenters.

    The base SL distribution is basically Enterprise Linux, recompiled
    from source.

    Our main goal for the base distribution is to have everything
    compatible with Enterprise, with only a few minor additions or
    changes. An example of of items that were added are Pine, and
    OpenAFS.

    That's RedHat Enterprise Linux, I believe. The GPL allows Fermilab et
    al. to rebuild it from source and distributed.

    --
    An evil mind is a great comfort.

  2. Re: Scientific Linux

    Linonut wrote:

    How many different versions of that Linux junk is out there? How many
    versions of that chicken-**** crap will there be?

  3. Re: Scientific Linux

  4. Re: Scientific Linux

    * The Black Mumba peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >

    > How many different versions of that Linux junk is out there? How many
    > versions of that chicken-**** crap will there be?

    Why don't you ask the scientoids at Fermilab?

    I'm sure they'd be happy to have you tour the cyclotron.

    While it is in operation.

    Bet you'd come out a nice pessary-pink.

    --
    Q: How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: Two, one to hold the giraffe, and the other to fill the bathtub

  5. Re: Scientific Linux

    Linonut wrote:
    > * The Black Mumba peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>

    >> How many different versions of that Linux junk is out there? How many
    >> versions of that chicken-**** crap will there be?

    > Why don't you ask the scientoids at Fermilab?
    >
    > I'm sure they'd be happy to have you tour the cyclotron.
    >
    > While it is in operation.
    >
    > Bet you'd come out a nice pessary-pink.

+ Reply to Thread