[News] What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux... - Linux

  2. Re: [News] What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux...

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:13:41 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Checking In with An Ubuntu Switcher
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| She soon returned home, and I quickly forgot that I had switched her. Today,
    >| I had reason to drop her an email so I took the opportunity to ask if she was
    >| still on Ubuntu and how she was liking it. Her response:
    >|
    >| I am still using Ubuntu. I like it. I couldnt play encoded DVDs at
    >| first. I was going to call you or talk to our computer guy at school, but
    >| decided to research the issue myself on the community help site. I got it
    >| figured out and upgraded to the newest version at the same time. It was
    >| really very simple to work through. Im very happy with it and I
    >| absolutely hate going to windows machines now, they suck.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.workswithu.com/2008/07/08...untu-switcher/

    "Keep in mind that while she is a very intelligent and independent woman,
    she is by no means a computer person, and prior to her conversion had
    only very limited exposure to Linux."

    Very intelligent. How, precisely, does that represent the average computer
    user? Average users are, by definition, also average intelligence. What a
    "very intelligent" person can easily do and what an average intelligence
    person can easily do are two different things.

    "This just goes to show that with appropriate prep and help through the
    initial hurdles, non-techies can happily and successfully use Linux. In
    this case, the only active support she received is the same support that
    Windows and OSX users take for granted; having their OS installed and
    configured for them when they take the machine out of the box."

    Umm.. not quite. The windows machine you buy at a store has been installed
    and configured for use by the average person. This machine has been
    installed and customized for her needs. Not the same thing at all.

  3. Re: [News] What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux...

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:51:33 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:13:41 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Checking In with An Ubuntu Switcher
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| She soon returned home, and I quickly forgot that I had switched her. Today,
    >>| I had reason to drop her an email so I took the opportunity to ask if she was
    >>| still on Ubuntu and how she was liking it. Her response:
    >>|
    >>| I am still using Ubuntu. I like it. I couldnt play encoded DVDs at
    >>| first. I was going to call you or talk to our computer guy at school, but
    >>| decided to research the issue myself on the community help site. I got it
    >>| figured out and upgraded to the newest version at the same time. It was
    >>| really very simple to work through. Im very happy with it and I
    >>| absolutely hate going to windows machines now, they suck.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.workswithu.com/2008/07/08...untu-switcher/

    > "Keep in mind that while she is a very intelligent and independent woman,
    > she is by no means a computer person, and prior to her conversion had
    > only very limited exposure to Linux."
    >
    > Very intelligent. How, precisely, does that represent the average computer
    > user? Average users are, by definition, also average intelligence. What a
    > "very intelligent" person can easily do and what an average intelligence
    > person can easily do are two different things.
    >
    > "This just goes to show that with appropriate prep and help through the
    > initial hurdles, non-techies can happily and successfully use Linux. In
    > this case, the only active support she received is the same support that
    > Windows and OSX users take for granted; having their OS installed and
    > configured for them when they take the machine out of the box."
    >
    > Umm.. not quite. The windows machine you buy at a store has been installed
    > and configured for use by the average person. This machine has been
    > installed and customized for her needs. Not the same thing at all.

    Schestowitz's PERL SPAm script is in full gear today.
    Accuracy is always optional when it comes to his posts.
    By his own admission he doesn't have the time to read and check them for
    accuracy.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux...

    On Jul 9, 12:51*pm, Erik Funkenbusch
    wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:13:41 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > Checking In with An Ubuntu Switcher

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > >| She soon returned home, and I quickly forgot that I had switched her. Today,
    > >| I had reason to drop her an email so I took the opportunity to ask if she was
    > >| still on Ubuntu and how she was liking it. Her response: *
    > >|
    > >| * * I am still using Ubuntu. I like it. I couldnt play encoded DVDs at
    > >| * * first. I was going to call you or talk to our computer guy at school, but
    > >| * * decided to research the issue myself on the community help site. I got it
    > >| * * figured out and upgraded to the newest version at the same time. It was
    > >| * * really very simple to work through. Im very happy with it and I
    > >| * * absolutely hate going to windows machines now, they suck. * *
    > > `----

    > >http://www.workswithu.com/2008/07/08...n-ubuntu-switc...

    > "Keep in mind that while she is a very intelligent and independent woman,
    > she is by no means a computer person, and prior to her conversion had
    > only very limited exposure to Linux."
    >
    > Very intelligent. *How, precisely, does that represent the average computer
    > user? *Average users are, by definition, also average intelligence. *What a
    > "very intelligent" person can easily do and what an average intelligence
    > person can easily do are two different things.
    >
    > "This just goes to show that with appropriate prep and help through the
    > initial hurdles, non-techies can happily and successfully use Linux. In
    > this case, the only active support she received is the same support that
    > Windows and OSX users take for granted; having their OS installed and
    > configured for them when they take the machine out of the box."
    >
    > Umm.. not quite. *The windows machine you buy at a store has been installed
    > and configured for use by the average person. *This machine has been
    > installed and customized for her needs. *Not the same thing at all.

    It did not say how much she uses the computer. I think I have read
    this same story, like, 40 times. It this the only success?

  5. Re: [News] What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux...

    * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "This just goes to show that with appropriate prep and help through the
    > initial hurdles, non-techies can happily and successfully use Linux. In
    > this case, the only active support she received is the same support that
    > Windows and OSX users take for granted; having their OS installed and
    > configured for them when they take the machine out of the box."
    >
    > Umm.. not quite. The windows machine you buy at a store has been installed
    > and configured for use by the average person. This machine has been
    > installed and customized for her needs. Not the same thing at all.

    I'm glad you admit that.

    --
    A triangle which has an angle of 135 degrees is called an obscene triangle.

+ Reply to Thread