How do I know which Linux distribution I am using? - Linux

This is a discussion on How do I know which Linux distribution I am using? - Linux ; Hi all, I wonder what's the best way to determin which Linux distribution I am using through command line interface? I have no phisical access to the PC, i got ssh connection only. Thanks...

  1. How do I know which Linux distribution I am using?

    Hi all,

    I wonder what's the best way to determin which Linux distribution I am using
    through command line interface? I have no phisical access to the PC, i got ssh
    connection only.

    Thanks

  2. Re: How do I know which Linux distribution I am using?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 22:50:31 -0500, pirata wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I wonder what's the best way to determin which Linux distribution I am using
    > through command line interface? I have no phisical access to the PC, i got ssh
    > connection only.

    Depends on distribution and release. In no particular order:

    lsb_release -a
    cat /etc/*release
    cat /etc/*version
    cat /proc/*version