Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Linux

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Linux ; DanS wrote: > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in > news:wp2cwkcp30zs.hxdvrbe7yb9d$.dlg@40tude.net: > >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines. >> >> Why would that happen if Linux is ...

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    > already have.

    And the reports are probably wrong/lies.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:49:18 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Moshe Goldfarb. peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    >> Linux is free.
    >> Linux applications are free.

    > Moronic one-track trolling idiot bastard.
    >
    > Looks like I'm going to have to plonk your sorry keister /everywhere/.
    >
    > Idiot.

    The truth hurts Linonut....
    At least I don't have my head of Roy Schestowitz's ass like you do.

    Try thinking for yourself for a change instead of running around parroting
    a moron like Roy Schestowitz.

    BTW, I consider it a compliment that you plonk me.
    I certainly wouldn't want to waste any dialog on a brainless, starry eyed
    zealot like you, Linonut.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:58:08 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    > already have.

    But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >> already have.
    >>

    > But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.

    It is.

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:34:45 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >>> already have.
    >>>

    >> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>

    > It is.

    So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems and wipe Linux and
    install pirated Windows?
    Doesn't seem to be a smart thing to do if Linux is a better system than
    Windows.

    The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems and wipe Linux and
    > install pirated Windows?

    I don't give a **** about people in china, you, or anyone else.
    Linux is better than windows.

    I don't give a toss about your fictional "people" who "hate" it either.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  7. Re: Yet another nutcase

    CBFalconer, ye bird-brained futtock, base dunghill villain, I'll have
    thy head, ye mumbled:

    I changed the subject line for you, Chucky, you ****ing nutcase.

    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  8. DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!1!

    CBFalconer, ye backward fool in good clothes, you put sharp weapons in a
    madman's hands, ye derided:

    > Fred wrote:
    >>
    >> Get a life.

    > Thanks for changing the subject line, so that my traps can't detect
    > and absorb this foolish message.

    I changed the subject line for you, Chucky, you ****ing nutcase.

    > --
    > [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
    > [page]:
    > Try the download section.

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    >>> It is.

    >> So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems and wipe
    >> Linux and install pirated Windows?

    > I don't give a **** about people in china, you, or anyone else.

    You're so tough sailor.

    > Linux is better than windows.

    Linux is 3rd rate crapware, free because it has to be.

    Windows and commercial code provides a far better computing experience:
    better apps, better games, more software, more hardware, more speed, better
    looking, better fonts, etc.

    Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)

    Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    Dev\BioShock (~$475)

    It's no contest.

    > I don't give a toss about your fictional "people" who "hate" it
    > either.

    Not hate. HATE.

    But it's not all bad news: only 99.2% seem to HATE it.

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:34:45 +0100
    :
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >>> already have.
    >>>

    >> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>

    > It is.

    Debatable on a *very* pedantic level; there are 500+
    distros of varying quality. PCLinuxOS in particular
    has some highly visible bugs in some of its dialogs.
    Linux qua Linux is the kernel, and won't even *boot*
    without additional software (GRUB/LILO/LOADLIN, /sbin/init,
    /bin/bash, /lib/libc.so, etc.).

    Like I said, very pedantic. Properly packaged and managed[*],
    a Linux-based system is of excellent quality; certainly
    Gentoo for me is very easy to use, though for someone just
    getting his feet wet Ubuntu or Fedora might be a better
    choice, especially if the shell prompt

    '# '

    scares the hell out of him. ;-)

    In any event, the Chinese have always been inscrutable, and
    might very well prefer XP, which is a reliable enough solution
    (compared to its successor), and has the huge advantage of
    name recognition -- an issue that has hampered Linux all
    throughout its lifetime.
    [*] there are a few issues if the system is underpowered
    -- literally. Replacement of the power supply might
    aid therein. This used to be mentioned in a GCC FAQ,
    and a kernel compile is a good hardware stress test.

    These issues are of course not limited to Linux;
    it's good but not magic. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400
    <1ws49j1ry5oo2$.z9wmjf1nqrka$.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > So then why do people in China buy cheap Linux systems
    > and wipe Linux and install pirated Windows?
    > Doesn't seem to be a smart thing to do if Linux is a
    > better system than Windows.
    >
    > The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    Of course they do; that's why you have to keep reminding them here.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software
    >>> they already have.
    >>>

    >> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>

    > It is.

    Q: Why does the world reject Linux so completely?
    A: Because it's bogus

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:21:53 -0400
    :
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > Q: Why does the world reject Linux so completely?
    > A: Because it's bogus

    Of course it is. Perhaps you can enlighten us as to why?
    Or would that be divulging trade secrets?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Now in nine exciting editions. Try them all!

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    There is someone somewhere who hates anything you can name. No doubt
    there are more people who hate MS OS's than linux. Some people just don't
    like to type. Is linux better than windows? For my uses, yes. Maybe not
    for someone else's. Seems like a variation on the "mine is bigger than
    yours" argument.

    I hate, and I mean that in a strong manner, not just a slight dislike, my
    cell provider, but unfortunately I live in an area where they are the
    only game in town, so I am stuck with them. Lots of people are like that
    with their computers as well.

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-12, DFS wrote:
    > Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> But according to COLA, Linux is better than Windows.
    >>>

    >> It is.

    > Q: Why does the world reject Linux so completely?
    > A: Because it's bogus

    s/Linux/Macintosh/
    s/Linux/BeOS/
    s/Linux/OS-2/
    s/Linux/Amiga/

    Yawn...

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-12, Nico wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    The truth is, people in general don't know enough to HATE it.

    They are apathetic at best.

    The only people that actually "hate" Linux are trolls like
    you that for some strange reason need to attack what everyone
    else would largely ignore even if it were running on some bit
    of hardware they actually own (Tivo, EEE PC, Archos, TV, STB).

    [deletia]

    Why bother attacking the irrelevant? Is is some sort of
    demented bully fixation? Or is it something else equally sad?

    --
    Nothing quite gives you an understanding of Oracle's |||
    continued popularity as does an attempt to do some / | \
    simple date manipulations in postgres.

  17. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Fred wrote:
    > DanS wrote:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >>
    >>> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >>> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>>
    >>> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    >> Very simple explanation.
    >>
    >> They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    >> already have.

    > And the reports are probably wrong/lies.

    Same thing happened in the US. Most everyone believed MS hype. Then as
    the masses became more computer literate thet started moving away from MS.
    caver1

  18. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Nico

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:54:31 -0500
    <07GdnfgojNlaneXVnZ2dnUVZ_o7inZ2d@giganews.com>:
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:47:07 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >> The truth is, people HATE Linux.

    > There is someone somewhere who hates anything you can name.

    More formally, given something named, one can find a
    person who hates it (as opposed to there exists a person
    who hates everything). ;-)

    > No doubt
    > there are more people who hate MS OS's than linux. Some people just don't
    > like to type. Is linux better than windows? For my uses, yes. Maybe not
    > for someone else's. Seems like a variation on the "mine is bigger than
    > yours" argument.
    >
    > I hate, and I mean that in a strong manner, not just a slight dislike, my
    > cell provider, but unfortunately I live in an area where they are the
    > only game in town, so I am stuck with them. Lots of people are like that
    > with their computers as well.

    Not entirely sure of that; one could in theory go
    mail-order with the computer, or even with the phone (not
    that that would help the actual cell coverage, admittedly).

    eRacks.com and system76.com both look attractive for those so
    inclined (in the continental US, anyway). I've not had the
    courage to try them yet, myself.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:36:47 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >> What, do you really need a list? Even with such a list, all you would
    >> reply with would be to babble on about how your students can't figure
    >> out how to open a folder.

    [...]
    > You seem determined not to answer the question. I guess you are an
    > "advocate" rather than an advocate.

    It wasn't a genuine question. Consider that Snit claims to be a Linux
    advocate. If so, why ask me to advocate Linux? Nor is it a general
    discussion.

    Any response to Snit simply results in his babbling about how his
    "students" can't figure out the file/folder relationship and his claim
    that the Mac UI is superior.

    -Thufir

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:47:34 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > He babbled about Mac (Macs! What? Not even a part of the subject!) and
    > then lies about my students.

    Any thread which threatens to be substantive is quickly derailed by your
    mac advocacy idiocy.

    -Thufir