Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Linux

This is a discussion on Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent???? - Linux ; On 2008-07-10, thufir wrote: > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote: > >>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's >>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant. >> >> ...

  1. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, thufir wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:25:53 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >
    >>> In a utopia, sure, Linux would be the dominant OS *because* it's
    >>> better. Instead, ask *why* an inferior OS is dominant.

    >> ...better yet.
    >>
    >> Let's contemplate MS-DOS 5 vs. the original Macintosh.
    >>
    >> All the 68K machines blew away kludge clones in any technical criteria.

    > I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's ok
    >
    > You're comparing hardware to hardware, or OS?

    Both.

    Not having a flat memory space was such a drag once I finally
    got around to getting a kludge clone. I am still holding a
    grudge over the manual memory management shenanigans of WinDOS.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, CBFalconer wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> F Oh'Ff vist- A wrote:
    >>
    >>> linux has become very easy to use.

    >> We know. Don't feed the mentally-ill, lying troll.

    > Please try to make a habit of always setting 'Followup-To' to a

    No. Just don't crosspost.

    If you write a message for multiple groups than it makes sense
    for the entire thread to remain resident in all those groups.
    Otherwise you will fragment the conversation.

    If crossposters really "distress" you so much then simply use
    the facilities that have been available to Usenet readers since
    the state of the art newsreader was a collection of shell scripts.

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||
    technology grows by accretion, each new creator / | \
    building on the works of those that came before.

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Linonut wrote:
    > * chrisv peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You too are and idiot.

    >> That stands all by itself.

    > Poor fake chrisv, reduced to a lame spelling-lame.

    I don't see it as a spell-lame, it's more like a PKB.

  4. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JEDIDIAH

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:40:02 -0500
    :

    >>> ...better yet.
    >>>
    >>> Let's contemplate MS-DOS 5 vs. the original Macintosh.
    >>>
    >>> All the 68K machines blew away kludge clones in any technical criteria.

    >> I have no idea what you're talking about, but that's ok

    Motorola chip series -- 68000, 68010, 68020, 68030, etc.
    Popular in the Mac, Amiga, and Atari.

    >> You're comparing hardware to hardware, or OS?

    > Both.
    >
    > Not having a flat memory space was such a drag once I finally
    > got around to getting a kludge clone. I am still holding a
    > grudge over the manual memory management shenanigans of WinDOS.

    And they are still there. An old game of mine -- Delta-V
    -- needs over *600K* of conventional RAM to start.
    Win95 can't run it. Even FreeDOS has problems; it will
    load and play the first few "runs" [+] in QEMU, but
    universally crashes on one particular such, presumably
    because it runs out of conventional RAM.

    The registers are instructive; while the 68000 wasn't
    perfect (it had 8 D and 8 A registers[*], so wasn't
    perfectly orthogonal, at least at the beginning; I don't
    know if one can use MOV.L 8(D4),A7 now, for example),
    it was far better than the kludgy 8080-compatible crap
    (AX, BX, CX, DX, SI, DI, BP, PC) the 8086 had.

    To its credit later versions of the 80x86 series now
    allow addressing modes such as [EAX], and a 32-bit (4GB)
    generally flat address space (one still has to set up
    the segment registers).
    [*] two of the A registers (A6=SP, A7=PC) are dedicated.
    D0, like the 8086's AX or EAX, by convention was used
    for function returns.

    [+] the game is basically a primitive first-person
    shoot-em-up where one is expected to fly in a trench;
    the "framing story" of "netrunners" is mildly
    interesting if rather silly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.

  5. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    caver1 wrote:
    > John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> SNIP
    >>
    >> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >> with it."
    >>
    >> John Kopf

    > I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    > Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    > caver1

    The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    environment.

    I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).

    John Kopf

  6. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    John O. Kopf wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar
    >>> with Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become
    >>> familiar with it."
    >>>
    >>> John Kopf

    >> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar
    >> with Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >> caver1

    > The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    > environment.
    >
    > I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    > (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    > and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    > pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >
    > John Kopf

    When people started using windows very few had been exposed to it prior.
    There are many places that you can go to get help with any OS that you want.
    caver1

  7. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-10, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > caver1 wrote:
    >> John O. Kopf wrote:
    >>> SNIP
    >>>
    >>> "Unfortunately, Ubunto/Linux is an OS for people already familiar with
    >>> Ubunto/Linux; and there are few places where one can become familiar
    >>> with it."
    >>>
    >>> John Kopf

    >> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    >> Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >> caver1

    > The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    > environment.
    >
    > I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    > (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    > and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    > pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).

    Unix is not Linux.

  8. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Gordon wrote:

    >> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    >> (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    >> and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    >> pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >>

    > Unix is not Linux.

    QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.

    --
    Ein Optimist ist in der Regel der Zeitgenosse, der am ungenügensten
    informiert ist. - John Priestley

  9. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Laszlo Lebrun wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was
    >>> QNX (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed
    >>> to QNX, and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there
    >>> are no man pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix
    >>> license).
    >>>

    >> Unix is not Linux.

    > QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.

    No, but QNX started as a unix look-alike. However, about 1996 ATT
    started making waves, and wanted QNX to get a unix license; QNX was
    completely redone to still provide the same functionality, but all
    programs and library functions were renamed to avoid the need to license.

    Much the same was done with Linux.

    John Kopf

  10. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    For the same reason why any one cares what you think. I if any

    --

    Bob Eyster
    MS Windows Vista Home Premium

    "chrisv" wrote in message
    > Bob Eyster top posted:
    >
    >>One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.

    > Why should we care what some top poster, a Vista user yet, thinks?

  11. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    Bob Eyster top posted:

    >For the same reason

    What is "for the same reason", top poster?

    >why any one cares what you think. I if any

    You see, I am not a top-poster. Top-posting is like having an "I'm an
    idiot" sign hanging-around one's neck.

  12. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:33:04 +0000 (UTC), DanS wrote:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    >>> With such a tiny installed linux base, makes you wonder how long any
    >>> of them will remain on the market. You can't stay in business long
    >>> even if all 7 linux users buy it.

    >> They probably have Windows versions as well.
    >> I know SlickEdit has a Windows version.

    > Almost all listed have a windows version also. And that's a bad thing in
    > your eyes ?

    So they won't go out of business.......

    See Loki for example.

    The cheap Linux sots refused to pay for software and the company went down
    the drain.

    > It makes the transition easier to Linux if the same apps are available
    > for Linux also.

    Assuming people are interested in Linux which they are not.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  13. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-11, Gordon wrote:
    > On 2008-07-10, John O. Kopf wrote:
    >> caver1 wrote:

    >>> I'm sorry but that was a stupid statement. How do you get familiar with
    >>> Linux in the first place? Maybe some are born with the knowledge?
    >>> caver1

    >> The majority are either exposed to it in school, or working in a Unix
    >> environment.
    >>
    >> I have worked with a number of Unix/Linux systems; one of these was QNX
    >> (tailored for multi-tasking) - very FEW people have been exposed to QNX,
    >> and even the Unix experts have difficulty (for example, there are no man
    >> pages, because that would have infringed on the Unix license).
    >>

    > Unix is not Linux.

    Yes but it's close enough that you have to keep repeating that
    mantra over and over again so people don't get confused.

    Unix in general is kind of handy that way...

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  14. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    On 2008-07-11, John O. Kopf wrote:
    > Laszlo Lebrun wrote:

    >>> Unix is not Linux.

    >> QNX did not start as a unix derivate neither.
    >>

    > No, but QNX started as a unix look-alike. However, about 1996 ATT
    > started making waves, and wanted QNX to get a unix license; QNX was
    > completely redone to still provide the same functionality, but all
    > programs and library functions were renamed to avoid the need to license.
    >
    > Much the same was done with Linux.

    Got some examples?

    This sounds like total nonsense.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  15. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    > Linux has been around for 15+ years.
    > Linux is free.
    > Linux applications are free.

    Moronic one-track trolling idiot bastard.

    Looks like I'm going to have to plonk your sorry keister /everywhere/.

    Idiot.

    --
    My own life has been spent chronicling the rise and fall of human systems,
    and I am convinced that we are terribly vulnerable. ... We should be

  16. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    * Bob Eyster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > For the same reason why any one cares what you think. I if any
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bob Eyster
    > MS Windows Vista Home Premium
    >

    > "chrisv" wrote in message
    > > Bob Eyster top posted:
    > >
    > >>One reason why it's not at 1%. No one is writing major apps for it.

    > > Why should we care what some top poster, a Vista user yet, thinks?

    Congratulations, Bob. You've managed to give your answer /before/ the
    questions was even posed.

    --
    The world is coming to an end. Please log off.

  17. Just another MS troll

    Get a life.

    --
    Peace,
    Fred

  18. Re: Just another MS troll

    Fred wrote:

    > Get a life.

    Thanks for changing the subject line, so that my traps can't detect
    and absorb this foolish message.

    [page]:
    Try the download section.

  19. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in

    > Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    > machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >
    > Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    Very simple explanation.

    They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated Windows software they
    already have.

  20. Re: Will Linux EVER hit 1 percent????

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DanS

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:58:08 +0000 (UTC)
    :
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." wrote in
    >
    >> Well it's been reported already that inexpensive Linux preloaded
    >> machines in China are quickly converted to Windows XP machines.
    >>
    >> Why would that happen if Linux is so great?

    > Very simple explanation.
    >
    > They install a pirated XP to run all the pirated
    > Windows software they already have.

    Which tells us at least one of the following, if this
    report is accurate.

    [1] It's too hard to work with WinE.
    [2] It's too hard to port software to standards.
    [3] It's too hard to wean people from preloaded Windows software.

    Lovely, no?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Been there, done that, didn't get the T-shirt.