4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux

This is a discussion on 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux ; I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from any Linux user and abuser. The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

  1. 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    any Linux user and abuser.

    The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    card that fits on in the PCI slot.

    I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    Puppy (too big).

    What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?

    This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.

    Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.

    BTW this is not the system I'm using now--I have Vista on a modern duo
    core.

    Thanks in advance.

    RL

  2. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM,

    I'm mildly surprised it can go that low. Maybe in the original
    8088 days 256kB units were common (the original only had 64k!).

    I'm assuming you meant 256MB to 512MB.

    > a 2 - 3 GB HD,

    Small but workable.

    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.

    And the reason you want to upgrade the drive is ... ?

    Here's a thought for you; if you're going to get a 20 GB anyway,
    use it for Linux and don't touch the original drive except to
    put a GRUB boot block on it. (The actual /boot partition
    can live on the second drive.)

    Or you can split it 10-10, so that Windows gets a D: drive and
    Linux can use the other 10; one can even share if one formats
    it FAT32.

    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).
    >
    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?

    Damn Small Linux? It's all of 50 MB.

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.

    Depends on your application needs, as I keep telling you.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}

  3. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:25:07 -0700 (PDT), raylopez99 wrote:

    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).
    >
    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?
    >
    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.
    >
    > BTW this is not the system I'm using now--I have Vista on a modern duo
    > core.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > RL

    DSL
    Damm Small Linux.
    Vector Linux

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).

    You lie, Arch will fit as I have it on a 1GB HD on a server and on my
    desktop will a full install with all the trimming it is only 3.3 GB, and
    that is with KDE, openoffice, koffice, full development system (with all
    the source files to build the entire OS), six web browsers and all the
    multimedia one could use.

    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?
    >
    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.

    --
    Tayo'y mga Pinoy

  5. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On 2008-07-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time,

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.

    Tsk...
    Don't you think you've cried wolf enough now?
    EVERYONE in these newsgroups knows your game now.
    You've had dozens of valid replies and "straightforward answers"
    You ALWAYS do exactly the same thing, ignoring the people who give you
    advice and then complain that no-one did.

    Give it up, FFS!
    It was old 2 years ago, now it's just ****in tedium in condensed form.

  7. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 23:17:00 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc the troll raylopez99 wrote:
    >> I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, w...

    F#ck off, Dopez99. Stupid troll.

    > Tsk...
    > Don't you think you've cried wolf enough now? EVERYONE in these newsgroups
    > knows your game now. You've had dozens of valid replies and
    > "straightforward answers" You ALWAYS do exactly the same thing, ignoring
    > the people who give you advice and then complain that no-one did.
    >
    > Give it up, FFS!
    > It was old 2 years ago, now it's just ****in tedium in condensed form.

    The troll's like a broken record.

    --
    Lister: Drop dead, Rimmer.
    Rimmer: Already have done.

  8. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.

    Several were listed, but it seems that you are more interested in
    complaining than real answers.

    I've used

    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

    It will run in 16 MB of ram, on a 486, and fit on a business card-sized CD.
    You can even install it from floppies.

    But it's probably too small for you.

  9. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    Maxwell Lol writes:

    > I've used
    >
    > http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
    >
    > It will run in 16 MB of ram, on a 486, and fit on a business card-sized CD.
    > You can even install it from floppies.
    >
    > But it's probably too small for you.

    By the way, the distribution is about 50MB. It you have 128MB, the
    entire OS and utilities can fit in RAM (no swapping/paging necessary).

    There - no more excuses.

  10. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).
    >
    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?
    >
    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.

    Definitely. You are far too stupid to attempt even a basic Linux install.
    > BTW this is not the system I'm using now--I have Vista on a modern duo
    > core.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > RL

  11. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).
    >
    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?
    >
    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.
    >
    > BTW this is not the system I'm using now--I have Vista on a modern duo
    > core.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    It is possible to install stripped-down versions of several distros on
    the hardware you describe, and some that are less stripped down if you
    obtain a bigger hard drive. They've already been recommended to you, by
    several people. However, if the user of this system has never used
    anything but Windows for years, and if he'd balk at replacing the hard
    drive, he'd also balk at changing operating systems. He doesn't sound
    like the type to go through the learning curve necessary to converting
    to a stripped-down Linux from Windows would require.

    Also, if you're looking for a distro with an installer that will
    automatically tailer itself to such old hardware without intervention by
    the installing operator, you probably won't find it, any more than you
    would find a version of Vista that would do the same. There is little
    demand for such an installer, so it won't be written.

    You, and the user of this system, would be better off if you just do a
    fresh, clean install of Windows 2000.

    TJ

  12. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    TJ had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 09-07-08 19:20:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    >> computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    >> any Linux user and abuser.

    Nobody in this NG is obliged to answer you, however often you ask. We
    know by now that you do not want an answer, since several have been
    given to you and you just keep repeating your question implying that
    there is no solution to your problem.

    It becomes a bit boring, don't you think?

    Erik Jan

  13. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 8, 4:25 pm, raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.
    >
    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.
    >
    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit), Vector, Arch,
    > Puppy (too big).
    >
    > What other distros might I download now that will fit on a CD?
    >
    > This system uses a dial-up modem, and has only a CD reader.
    >
    > Or should I just, as Ghost implies, stick to the present Windows 2000
    > OS, and adjust the HD by getting a bigger one and increasing the swap
    > file for virtual memory? Probably the soundest approach.
    >
    > BTW this is not the system I'm using now--I have Vista on a modern duo
    > core.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > RL

    You should try EraseMyHardDriveLinux.

    Or FacePunchLinux - preferably the Charlie Murphy edition.

    It might be slow, but you could try HeroinLinx, but watch out- it's
    addictive.

    I tried ThaiFoodFartix, but it stank and had no ISO-8859 support.

    I heard BalloonLinux has really high uptimes, but tends to make your
    machine run hot.

    Beware FogLinux - it's vaporware.

    HTH and TTFN
    Tarkin
    --
    But don't worry, there are no stupid answers, just stupid people.

  14. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer?

    VectorLinux. Do I have to shout?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  15. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer? I have yet to receive a clear, straightforward answer from
    > any Linux user and abuser.

    > The system: a Pentium II, with about 256 or 512K RAM, a 2 - 3 GB HD,
    > that I will probably upgrade to 20 GB once I get a new SCSI controller
    > card that fits on in the PCI slot.

    > I have downloaded Ubuntu (which probably won't fit)

    Yes, it will. It needs about 64 MB of RAM and less than 1 GB of disk
    space for a minimal install. Use the alternate cd, install a
    command-line system and then add an xserver and a small window
    manager like IceWM or Blackbox. My "desktop" system now uses 1.6 GB,
    including e.g. Openoffice and Cups.

    > This system uses a dial-up modem,

    I sucessfully used gnome-ppp on a dial-up machine.

    > (snip)

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  16. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    here, methinks not.

    RL

    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    > Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    > here, methinks not.

    Name one operating system that WILL.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  18. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 8, 3:17*pm, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    > Give it up, FFS!
    > It was old 2 years ago, now it's just ****in tedium in condensed form.

    Then killfile me idiot. How sensible is that?

    RL

  19. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 8, 7:15*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote
    > By the way, the distribution is about 50MB. It you have 128MB, the
    > entire OS and utilities can fit in RAM (no swapping/paging necessary).
    >
    > There - no more excuses.

    Same question as I gave Moshe--realistically, how much time to
    install? And do you have a GUI (Kde?)? Remember, the target user of
    this machine is a total n00b using a dialup modem.

    RL

  20. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 08:31:17 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Jul 8, 7:15*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote
    >> By the way, the distribution is about 50MB. It you have 128MB, the
    >> entire OS and utilities can fit in RAM (no swapping/paging necessary).
    >>
    >> There - no more excuses.

    > Same question as I gave Moshe--realistically, how much time to install?
    > And do you have a GUI (Kde?)? Remember, the target user of this machine
    > is a total n00b using a dialup modem.
    >
    > RL

    Why don't you do some installs and see?

    --