4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux

This is a discussion on 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux ; On Jul 10, 1:31*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote: > > And do you have a GUI (Kde?)? *Remember, the target user of > > this machine is a total n00b using a dialup modem. > > The GUI isn't KDE. The ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

  1. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 10, 1:31*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote:

    > > And do you have a GUI (Kde?)? *Remember, the target user of
    > > this machine is a total n00b using a dialup modem.

    > The GUI isn't KDE. The applications installed are listed herehttp://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html
    >
    > It includes firefox, a file manager, image editor, VoIP application,
    > instant messages, email, etc.

    So I assume there's something for a dial up modem? Remember a dialup
    model is not DSL. So, does DSL support a dial up modem?

    This is promising actually. After months and months of asking you
    "friends" I'm getting a tiny bit of information out of you. With the
    amount of effort I'm putting into this, you'd think the information I
    was asking for was proprietary (so much for "open source"). Today I
    decoded a tough looking program in C# language that used delegates and
    events in a convoluted manner, and understood it, with less effort
    that it takes to understand which distro to use in Linux.

    RL

  2. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 8:55*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Installing Ubuntu in general takes much less time than installing
    >> W2K. With old hardware you probably won't have any driver issues
    >> compared to very new hardware.
    >>

    > Are you now claiming that Ubuntu will fit on the target machine? 512k
    > RAM, 2 or 3 GB HD? Man, getting a straight answer out of you LInux
    > nuts is like trying to hit a moving target!

    We've told you dozens of times that it'll fit.
    We don't give a **** about you, we're just countering your FUD.
    YES UBUNTU WILL FIT!
    You just need to select a minimal install.

    Gods, you're an idiot.
    I said xubuntu over 2 *weeks* ago. You've been ignoring everyone for that
    long and still spouting the same bull****.

    The only goalposts that're being moved are yours.
    > RL

  3. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Baho Utot

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:20:56 -0400
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    > [putolin]
    >
    >> As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    >> preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    >> think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    >> requires far fewer reboots.

    > Linux is indeed easier and it actually works to boot
    >
    > Vista is for lack of words is just junk. I had it briefly on a AMD x2
    > notebook (I got it as an upgrade for $500.00p when I bought the notebook).
    > After a pain filled installation I found that a couldn't actually do any
    > useful with the notebook as Vista consumed all available CPU. I only tried
    > to launch the text editor and I had to wait... way too long, only to find
    > I couldn't type a damn thing. All the while the cpu meter (yes it now is a
    > meter) was pegged at 100% cpu utilization.

    Amazing. One wonders what the heck was it doing?

    The only thing I can think of is that Aero was trying to
    render the display, and the CPU/graphics was not powerful
    enough for some reason to keep up with the framerate.
    2GB should be plenty RAMwise; certainly Gentoo on my nx9010
    w/1 GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive is very happy.

    My brain is starting to hurt...

    > So I promptly installed Linux and returned to sanity.

    Aye. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

  4. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:46:22 +0100
    :
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    >> preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    >> think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    >> requires far fewer reboots.
    >>

    > Not to mention no need to type in the license key.

    Aye. One can also legally share the ISO as many times as one wants,
    at least for the free distros (Fedora, Debian, Gentoo, etc.).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
    item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

  5. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > So I assume there's something for a dial up modem? Remember a dialup
    > model is not DSL.

    You take me for an idiot?

    >So, does DSL support a dial up modem?

    I don't know offhand. I hadn't had to deal with modems for many years.

    Check the packages that are available. Worse comes to worst. you may
    have to compile a C program.

  6. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    > preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    > think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    > requires far fewer reboots.

    And you can testdrive a distro first.

  7. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    > perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    I've used Lynx.

  8. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > http://finance.google.com/finance?q=MSFT+AAPL
    >
    > is instructive, especially the 10 year graph. Apple has gained over
    > 2000% percent according to this graph, whereas Microsoft has essentially
    > remained flat as the proverbial pancake.

    Of course selecting MAX shows a different story.

  9. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:21:03 -0400, Maxwell Lol wrote:
    >raylopez99 writes:

    >> Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    >> perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    >I've used Lynx.

    or links
    or w3m

  10. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    * Maxwell Lol peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > raylopez99 writes:
    >
    >> Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    >> perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    > I've used Lynx.

    Or links.

    When you just want to get to a file download, without being subjected
    to annoying Flashing advertisements ("/She/ married /him/?!! And they
    have 7 kids!!!?"), lame frames, etc., lynx is just fine.

    And it is faster than firing up "ssh -X", when you want to do a search
    that may come up with some "compromising" results. "Comprising" in a
    work situation, that is.

    --
    When Alexander Graham Bell died in 1922, the telephone people interrupted
    service for one minute in his honor. They've been honoring him intermittently

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:39:06 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Jul 10, 8:55*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Installing Ubuntu in general takes much less time than installing W2K.
    >>> With old hardware you probably won't have any driver issues compared to
    >>> very new hardware.
    >>>

    >> Are you now claiming that Ubuntu will fit on the target machine? 512k
    >> RAM, 2 or 3 GB HD? Man, getting a straight answer out of you LInux nuts
    >> is like trying to hit a moving target!

    F#ck off, Dopez99. You're proving you're too stupid to use a computer.

    > We've told you dozens of times that it'll fit. We don't give a **** about
    > you, we're just countering your FUD. YES UBUNTU WILL FIT!
    > You just need to select a minimal install.
    >
    > Gods, you're an idiot.
    > I said xubuntu over 2 *weeks* ago. You've been ignoring everyone for that
    > long and still spouting the same bull****.
    >
    > The only goalposts that're being moved are yours.

    Why people keep responding to the Dopez99 troll, I don't know. All the
    twat wants to do is to troll, it's not the least bit interested in linux.

    --
    Why don't you smegging-well smeg off,
    you annoying little smeggy smegging smegger!

  12. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    Maxwell Lol writes:

    > raylopez99 writes:
    >
    >>So, does DSL support a dial up modem?

    I checked, and pppd is part of the base package.

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.html - This document describes
    how to use Linux to connect to an Internet Service Provider via a
    dial-up modem TCP/IP connection. As well as the basic dial-up
    procedure and IP establishment, email and news handling is covered.

  13. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    William Poaster wrote:

    >Why people keep responding to the Dopez99 troll, I don't know.

    Indeed. "Troll me once, shame on you. Troll me countless fscking
    times? Shame on me."

  14. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On 2008-07-10, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 9:02*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> gnome-ppp runs under any X11 including Gnome and KDE. You can also
    >> use bare wvdial or other console methods.

    > Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    > perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    ....once did this on a VMS box to impress a coworker.

    That was back in 1995...

    The Web was MEANT to be render neutral. It was SUPPOSED to be something
    that anyone could use regardless of what sort of terminal they have or
    what sort of perceputal disabilities they might have.

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  15. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Maxwell Lol

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:25:08 -0400
    <87mykpf98b.fsf@com.invalid>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:
    >
    >> http://finance.google.com/finance?q=MSFT+AAPL
    >>
    >> is instructive, especially the 10 year graph. Apple has gained over
    >> 2000% percent according to this graph, whereas Microsoft has essentially
    >> remained flat as the proverbial pancake.

    > Of course selecting MAX shows a different story.

    True. Therefore we should all just go out and get Microsoft Windows
    Vista, right?

    Anyway, try RHT.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #11823822:
    signal(SIGKILL, catchkill);

  16. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On 2008-07-10, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Jul 10, 9:02*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> gnome-ppp runs under any X11 including Gnome and KDE. You can also
    >>> use bare wvdial or other console methods.

    >> Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    >> perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    > ...once did this on a VMS box to impress a coworker.
    >
    > That was back in 1995...
    >
    > The Web was MEANT to be render neutral. It was SUPPOSED to be something
    > that anyone could use regardless of what sort of terminal they have or
    > what sort of perceputal disabilities they might have.

    Then Netscape and Microsoft came along....

    --
    Package sold by weight, not volume.

  17. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:51:15 -0400
    :
    > * JEDIDIAH peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-10, raylopez99 wrote:

    >>> Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    >>> perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    >> ...once did this on a VMS box to impress a coworker.
    >>
    >> That was back in 1995...
    >>
    >> The Web was MEANT to be render neutral. It was SUPPOSED to be something
    >> that anyone could use regardless of what sort of terminal they have or
    >> what sort of perceputal disabilities they might have.

    > Then Netscape and Microsoft came along....

    It is all rather disturbing; the analogues to radio and
    TV may not be obvious to everyone (certainly they weren't
    to me until I happened to read an article suggesting such
    -- and of course I can't find the article now; grump),
    but at one point in their histories they were relatively
    democratic; anyone could broadcast, and even today one
    can still make reasonably good mock-ups of corporate
    websites that fool some of the people some of the time,
    for phising purposes.

    Of course nowadays one has to get a license and corporate
    sponsorship in radio and TV. Goodbye freedom, hello
    blandness.

    And now a word from our sponsors...does your nose itch?
    Try Your Nose Now No-Itch(tm), the nose cream that stops
    nose itch. Available at fine drugstores everywhere.
    (Warning, may cause drowsiness, eczema, insanity, and
    genital warts. Do not use near fire or flame.)

    And now, back to our program.

    The history of HTTP is apparently littered with silliness.
    Time was when HTTP was generally idempotent, then
    cookies came along. HTTP is no longer a data retrieval
    protocol, but rather an order-processing one, in many
    implementations; the difference is subtle, to be sure, but
    it's there.

    As for HTML/CSS -- something got botched somewhere, and
    I'm not talking about to (though that
    got botched, too). I might characterize this as HTML
    changing from a render-neutral format to a format trying
    to muscle in on PDF, and having many problems based on the
    inherent conflict of font size versus absolute positioning.
    The idea of plugins is interesting, but what happens when
    a server depends on a client having such? To its credit,
    a well-designed website is still possible, though CSS
    still has its problems.

    I frankly don't know how to fix it all apart from requiring
    that every user agent know the display's exact size per
    pixel, and requiring everything to be specified in points,
    inches, cm, mm, or derived units such as em-space (which
    is simply the width of an 'm' in a given font, and the
    font is specified in points). This is possible but rarely
    done correctly, and HTML wasn't designed for that anyway,
    at least initially. Truetype and Cairo/Pango give us a
    fighting chance, though.

    XSL isn't bad but it needs to be more efficient. I'd
    have to study PDF to see how open it actually is, though
    converters and filters are readily available. Regrettably,
    PDF plugins tend to be highly noticeable -- and in my
    system at least attempting to read two PDF pages at the
    same time leads to some awkward behavior.

    I'm not hopeful about ODF, either, though I've not studied
    its purpose, and it is better than OOXML, if only because
    its spec is shorter. Does either meet my needs, really? No.

    All in all.....blecch.

    Still, it could have been worse; under certain conditions
    we'd all have been using Windows Metafiles for information
    transmission (AFAIK, Metafiles are vaguely similar to
    PDF or perhaps SVG in general utility/capability) and of
    course ActiveX is a disaster.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  18. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Baho Utot
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:20:56 -0400
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >> [putolin]
    >>
    >>> As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    >>> preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    >>> think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    >>> requires far fewer reboots.

    >> Linux is indeed easier and it actually works to boot
    >>
    >> Vista is for lack of words is just junk. I had it briefly on a AMD x2
    >> notebook (I got it as an upgrade for $500.00p when I bought the
    >> notebook). After a pain filled installation I found that a couldn't
    >> actually do any
    >> useful with the notebook as Vista consumed all available CPU. I only
    >> tried to launch the text editor and I had to wait... way too long, only
    >> to find I couldn't type a damn thing. All the while the cpu meter (yes it
    >> now is a meter) was pegged at 100% cpu utilization.

    > Amazing. One wonders what the heck was it doing?

    Who knows, I am not about to find out as I will not go through that
    again.... Be gone cursed microsoft!

    > The only thing I can think of is that Aero was trying to
    > render the display, and the CPU/graphics was not powerful
    > enough for some reason to keep up with the framerate.
    > 2GB should be plenty RAMwise; certainly Gentoo on my nx9010
    > w/1 GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive is very happy.

    The notebook is windows vista ready for all that means.

    The CPU is 1.6G dual and the graphics ATI. Any way Linux runs like a raped
    ape on the box... Windows vista just doesn't.

    --
    Tayo'y mga Pinoy

  19. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Baho Utot

    wrote
    on Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:58:47 -0400
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Baho Utot
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:20:56 -0400
    >> :
    >>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [putolin]

    >>> Linux is indeed easier and it actually works to boot
    >>>
    >>> Vista is for lack of words is just junk. I had it briefly on a AMD x2
    >>> notebook (I got it as an upgrade for $500.00p when I bought the
    >>> notebook). After a pain filled installation I found that a couldn't
    >>> actually do any
    >>> useful with the notebook as Vista consumed all available CPU. I only
    >>> tried to launch the text editor and I had to wait... way too long, only
    >>> to find I couldn't type a damn thing. All the while the cpu meter (yes it
    >>> now is a meter) was pegged at 100% cpu utilization.

    >> Amazing. One wonders what the heck was it doing?

    > Who knows, I am not about to find out as I will not go through that
    > again.... Be gone cursed microsoft!

    Heh. Can't say I blame you.

    >> The only thing I can think of is that Aero was trying to
    >> render the display, and the CPU/graphics was not powerful
    >> enough for some reason to keep up with the framerate.
    >> 2GB should be plenty RAMwise; certainly Gentoo on my nx9010
    >> w/1 GB RAM and 160 GB hard drive is very happy.
    >>

    > The notebook is windows vista ready for all that means.

    There is an active lawsuit running around that suggests
    that somebody mislead the public on that term. I'd
    have to dig for it though.

    > The CPU is 1.6G dual and the graphics ATI. Any way Linux runs
    > like a raped ape on the box... Windows vista just doesn't.

    I've an nx9010 myself with 1 GB RAM; Linux runs very well
    on it, except perhaps for the 53kb/s Winmodem (which I don't
    use anyway) and the microphone input (which annoys me but
    isn't critical).

    I even got WiFi to work. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  20. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 11, 4:21*am, Maxwell Lol wrote:

    > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.html- This document describes
    > how to use Linux to connect to an Internet Service Provider via a
    > dial-up modem TCP/IP connection. As well as the basic dial-up
    > procedure and IP establishment, email and news handling is covered.

    Thanks for your effort, but I could not find an easy "point and click"
    way to connect to a ISP via a dial-up modem. The closest I found was
    here: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/ISP-Hookup-HOWTO-2.html which is a sort
    of macro language you have to write.

    Does KDE/Knome support, like MSFT Windows, a 'point and click' way to
    connect to an ISP service provider via a dial up modem? If not, I
    might have to rethink installing linux, regardless of the version of
    distro.

    RL