4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux

This is a discussion on 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter? - Linux ; On Jul 9, 10:20*am, TJ wrote: > It is possible to install stripped-down versions of several distros on > the hardware you describe, and some that are less stripped down if you > obtain a bigger hard drive. They've already ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

  1. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 9, 10:20*am, TJ wrote:

    > It is possible to install stripped-down versions of several distros on
    > the hardware you describe, and some that are less stripped down if you
    > obtain a bigger hard drive. They've already been recommended to you, by
    > several people.

    Fine, but they've not answered my questions. I have a feeling you are
    a little smarter. [UPDATE: see below, you indeed are]

    > However, if the user of this system has never used
    > anything but Windows for years, and if he'd balk at replacing the hard
    > drive, he'd also balk at changing operating systems. He doesn't sound
    > like the type to go through the learning curve necessary to converting
    > to a stripped-down Linux from Windows would require.

    I don't understand. You seem to confuse the user (a n00b) with me,
    the installer. I don't use c rap ware like Linux, but I am intimately
    familiar with PCs (both programming, as you can tell from my other
    posts, and having build a number of systems from scratch, including
    having NT and RedHat 5 dual booted about 10 years ago).

    > Also, if you're looking for a distro with an installer that will
    > automatically tailer itself to such old hardware without intervention by
    > the installing operator, you probably won't find it, any more than you
    > would find a version of Vista that would do the same. There is little
    > demand for such an installer, so it won't be written.

    GOT IT! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR!!! Thank you very
    much sir! This is gold and music to my ears. Now THAT's an honest
    answer. I really appreciate it. For the rest of you reading this,
    I'd like a confirmation (please) of this fact, as I expected it to be
    true. That is, that installing any of these distros on this old
    hardware will be a nightmare, since the installer is configured for a
    typical "modern" machine. Please confirm.

    > You, and the user of this system, would be better off if you just do a
    > fresh, clean install of Windows 2000.
    >
    > TJ

    Thank you TJ! I really appreciate it. This is indeed a realistic
    sounding answer. I'm not doubting that you can tinker with linux and
    get it to work on such old h/w (like I tinkered--for a week--to get
    LInux and NT dual booted), but that for a quick favor for a n00b, it
    will be impractical (I don't see myself staying at the n00b's place
    too long, since it becomes ackward to stay longer, and for me to sit
    there and be frustrated trying to get it to work is too much. As it
    is, updating the hard drive to a bigger drive should be an hour long
    affair, even after I get the right hardware--and btw the last SCSI
    controller card I bought did not fit because it had the wrong form
    factor-- and an hour is about the maximum time I want to install a new
    OS, so a 'week long' project is out of the question).

    Thanks again. Honest answer to my question.

    I want a confirmation of this from somebody else, and then I consider
    this thread closed. Finally. FIFTH time (lost count now) is the
    charm?!

    RL

  2. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 10, 4:13*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:
    > > This system uses a dial-up modem,

    > I sucessfully used gnome-ppp on a dial-up machine.

    Just for future reference, does gnome-ppp run inside a GUI like KDE,
    or is it a standalone product? I assume the former, unless you tell
    me otherwise, otherwise it's a waste.

    RL

  3. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:

    > I want a confirmation of this from somebody else, and then I consider
    > this thread closed. Finally. FIFTH time (lost count now) is the
    > charm?!

    Installing Ubuntu in general takes much less time than installing
    W2K. With old hardware you probably won't have any driver issues
    compared to very new hardware.

    But I don't think you want Linux, so why are you asking?

    F'up 2 cola.

    --
    Niklaus

  4. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 4:13*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    > wrote:
    > > > This system uses a dial-up modem,

    > > I sucessfully used gnome-ppp on a dial-up machine.

    > Just for future reference, does gnome-ppp run inside a GUI like KDE,
    > or is it a standalone product? I assume the former, unless you tell
    > me otherwise, otherwise it's a waste.

    gnome-ppp runs under any X11 including Gnome and KDE. You can also
    use bare wvdial or other console methods.

    gnome-ppp has the following dependencies in Ubuntu 8.04.1:
    0.3.23-1 - libatk1.0-0 (2 1.12.1) libc6 (2 2.4-1) libcairo2 (2 1.2.4)
    libfontcon fig1 (2 2.3.0) libglade2-0 (2 1:2.5.1) libglib2.0-0 (2
    2.12.0) libgtk2.0-0 (2 2. 10.3) libpango1.0-0 (2 1.14.4) libx11-6 (0
    (null)) libxcursor1 (4 1.1.2) libxext 6 (0 (null)) libxfixes3 (0
    (null)) libxi6 (0 (null)) libxinerama1 (0 (null)) lib xml2 (2 2.6.26)
    libxrandr2 (0 (null)) libxrender1 (0 (null)) wvdial (0 (null))
    resolvconf (0 (null))

    Thus, no KDE or Gnome needed.

    HTH,
    Niklaus

  5. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:55:41 +0000, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> I want a confirmation of this from somebody else, and then I consider
    >> this thread closed. Finally. FIFTH time (lost count now) is the
    >> charm?!

    > Installing Ubuntu in general takes much less time than installing W2K.
    > With old hardware you probably won't have any driver issues compared to
    > very new hardware.
    >
    > But I don't think you want Linux, so why are you asking?
    >
    > F'up 2 cola.

    He's looking for a reason to tell this n00b person Linux distros can't be
    installed on his computer.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    ["Followup-To:" header set.]

    On 2008-07-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    > I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    > computer?

    Is there a distribution which blocks all NNTP traffic? Because if so
    you should use that one.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:29:49 +0100
    :
    > In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    >> here, methinks not.

    > Name one operating system that WILL.

    Microsoft Windows Vista[*]...mostly because the IT guys
    at the vendor do all of the sweating, cursing, BSODing,
    rebooting, and such on the machine that will eventually end
    up on the floor, ready to buy, plug in, and infect...erm,
    I mean, use.

    (And they don't do it that often; AIUI they take 1 blank
    victim machine, power it up until they can hear it scream,
    schlop Windows and what not thereon, remove a critical file
    or two relating to licensing so that it re-prompts upon
    powerup (I don't know the details), shut it down, cut out
    its heart, erm, I mean, hard drive, image the drive in a
    duplicator unit or another machine, then duplicate Windows
    to thousands of its unsuspecting virgin brethren drives
    which are later installed into other innocent machines.
    If they start a new line of machines, they might have
    to re-image.)

    The good news: there are Linux preinstalls out there.
    I particularly like eRack's website, which offers over
    two dozen variants of OS/distro (including FreeBSD).
    System76 is another such vendor, though they only offer
    Ubuntu. Both offer machines from minis to power towers.
    eRacks also offers rackmountable servers.

    The bad news: I'm not sure I can afford a new 'puter right now. :-P
    [*] since XP is apparently no more, as of July 1. R.I.P.
    Support for the corpse will be withdrawn sometime
    around the 2011 timeframe. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  8. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:29:49 +0100
    > :
    >> In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    >>> Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    >>> here, methinks not.

    >> Name one operating system that WILL.
    >>

    > Microsoft Windows Vista[*]...mostly because the IT guys
    > at the vendor do all of the sweating, cursing, BSODing,
    > rebooting, and such on the machine that will eventually end
    > up on the floor, ready to buy, plug in, and infect...erm,
    > I mean, use.

    Sounds like user intervention to me.
    Different users to the ones buying the machines of course, but they're still
    users.

    > (And they don't do it that often; AIUI they take 1 blank
    > victim machine, power it up until they can hear it scream,
    > schlop Windows and what not thereon, remove a critical file
    > or two relating to licensing so that it re-prompts upon
    > powerup (I don't know the details), shut it down, cut out
    > its heart, erm, I mean, hard drive, image the drive in a
    > duplicator unit or another machine, then duplicate Windows
    > to thousands of its unsuspecting virgin brethren drives
    > which are later installed into other innocent machines.
    > If they start a new line of machines, they might have
    > to re-image.)

    Indeed. Mass installation by that method is quite common.
    Even linux vendors can use that mathod for machines with identical hardware
    specs. Still requires user intervention though. After all, the hard disk
    does still have to be installed back into the machine.

  9. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    * Keith Keller peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set.]
    >
    > On 2008-07-08, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> I say AGAIN, for the fifth time, what distro should I use for an old
    >> computer?

    > Is there a distribution which blocks all NNTP traffic? Because if so
    > you should use that one.

    Commands for raylopezzzzzzzz to run:

    # iptables -P INPUT DROP
    # iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
    # iptables -P FORWARD DROP

    --
    The bay-trees in our country are all wither'd
    And meteors fright the fixed stars of heaven;

  10. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    > here, methinks not.

    So... do you want someone here to pre-chew the food for you before you put
    it in your mouth also?

    I'll let you know when there's a Linux distribution out there that you can
    signal with thought waves (or the closest you can come to them) that will
    then beam itself into your house and install itself on your computer for
    you.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

    On 2008-07-10, Niklaus Kuehnis wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.misc raylopez99 wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I sucessfully used gnome-ppp on a dial-up machine.

    >> Just for future reference, does gnome-ppp run inside a GUI like KDE,
    >> or is it a standalone product? I assume the former, unless you tell
    >> me otherwise, otherwise it's a waste.

    You can run it under twm if you really want.

    [deletia]

    --

    Nothing today, likely nothing since we tamed fire,
    is genuinely new: culture, like science and |||

    Judge Alex Kozinski
    US Court of Appeals
    9th Circuit

    http://www.usenet.com

  12. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > On Jul 8, 7:15*pm, Maxwell Lol wrote
    >> By the way, the distribution is about 50MB. It you have 128MB, the
    >> entire OS and utilities can fit in RAM (no swapping/paging necessary).
    >>
    >> There - no more excuses.

    > Same question as I gave Moshe--realistically, how much time to
    > install?

    It's the total of
    Time to download iso file:
    Time to copy onto USB stick or CDROM
    Time to shutdown and reboot your computer from the USB/CDROM.

    So - about 5-10 minutes to test it out.

    > And do you have a GUI (Kde?)? Remember, the target user of
    > this machine is a total n00b using a dialup modem.

    The GUI isn't KDE. The applications installed are listed here
    http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/applications.html

    It includes firefox, a file manager, image editor, VoIP application,
    instant messages, email, etc.

  13. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    raylopez99 writes:

    > Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    > here, methinks not.

    what do you mean "install?"
    If he can boot from a CDROM, he can run it in a LiveCD mode.

  14. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    >>> Will DSL install without much user interaction? See the other replies
    >>> here, methinks not.

    >> Name one operating system that WILL.
    >>

    > Microsoft Windows Vista[*]...

    Are you saying that if you boot up from the DVD, it will install Vista
    on your computer with NO interaction?

    Not even a "click yes to install?"
    Scary.....

  15. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Maxwell Lol

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:38:02 -0400
    <87prpliifp.fsf@com.invalid>:

    >>> Name one operating system that WILL.
    >>>

    >> Microsoft Windows Vista[*]...

    > Are you saying that if you boot up from the DVD, it will install Vista
    > on your computer with NO interaction?
    >
    > Not even a "click yes to install?"
    > Scary.....

    I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek. :-) One of
    the weirder issues of Linux is the fact that the major
    computer vendors (Dell, Acer, etc.) preinstall Windows,
    which makes for a barrier of entry for Linux.

    I'm hoping that barrier is easing but it's not down yet.

    As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    requires far fewer reboots.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    fortune: not found

  16. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    > preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    > think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    > requires far fewer reboots.

    Not to mention no need to type in the license key.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  17. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    [putolin]

    > As for an actual Vista *install* (as opposed to a
    > preinstalled 'puter)...good question. I for one would
    > think a Linux installation is simpler; certainly it
    > requires far fewer reboots.

    Linux is indeed easier and it actually works to boot

    Vista is for lack of words is just junk. I had it briefly on a AMD x2
    notebook (I got it as an upgrade for $500.00p when I bought the notebook).
    After a pain filled installation I found that a couldn't actually do any
    useful with the notebook as Vista consumed all available CPU. I only tried
    to launch the text editor and I had to wait... way too long, only to find
    I couldn't type a damn thing. All the while the cpu meter (yes it now is a
    meter) was pegged at 100% cpu utilization.

    So I promptly installed Linux and returned to sanity.

    This notebook specs are: AMD TL-50 processor (64 bit, dual core) 2G ram
    160GB disk as well as some other amenities.

    --
    Tayo'y mga Pinoy

  18. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 10, 8:55*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:

    > Installing Ubuntu in general takes much less time than installing
    > W2K. With old hardware you probably won't have any driver issues
    > compared to very new hardware.

    Are you now claiming that Ubuntu will fit on the target machine? 512k
    RAM, 2 or 3 GB HD? Man, getting a straight answer out of you LInux
    nuts is like trying to hit a moving target!

    RL

  19. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 10, 9:02*am, Niklaus Kuehnis
    wrote:

    > gnome-ppp runs under any X11 including Gnome and KDE. You can also
    > use bare wvdial or other console methods.

    Yeah, I'd like to see how you can surf the web in console mode, though
    perhaps there is a program that looks decent.

    RL

  20. Re: 4 da 5th time--pleez--what distro for an old 'puter?

    On Jul 10, 10:36*am, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:

    > The bad news: I'm not sure I can afford a new 'puter right now. :-P

    Sorry to hear that Ghost--you must be a Fannie Mae or Lehman brothers
    (LEH, check out the damage done today in one day--20% drop)
    shareholder. Better to buy MSFT.

    That new 'green' eee computer that has linux loaded on it is only
    about $300.

    RL