[News] United Nations Promotes Free Software - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] United Nations Promotes Free Software - Linux ; On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > United Nations University urges legislators to support open source software Is that the same corrupt United Nations whose members were taking oil bribes for food? The same United Nations ...

  1. Re: [News] United Nations Promotes Free Software

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:02:52 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > United Nations University urges legislators to support open source software

    Is that the same corrupt United Nations whose members were taking oil
    bribes for food?
    The same United Nations where Koffi Annan's son got lucrative business
    dealings based upon his father's contacts but his father claimed he knew
    nothing about it?

    etc....

    Sounds like the United Nations and Linux are a perfect match for each
    other.

    http://doctorbulldog.wordpress.com/2...tions-corrupt/

    http://www.nysun.com/foreign/annans-...ugh-2004/5372/

    You should adjust your Perl SPAM script to ignore the term United Nations
    because it is hardly something for the Linux loons to brag about.

    Get it Roy Schestowitz?
    No you don't.
    You never will.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. [News] United Nations Promotes Free Software

    United Nations University urges legislators to support open source software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | United Nations University (UNU-MERIT) experts urge parliamentarians to
    | support open source software and information technologies as a way to let
    | citizens participate meaningfully in the information society. They also
    | emphasize that policy markers should consider information and communications
    | technologies from a social rather than technical viewpoint.
    `----

    http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/unumerit007

    Sweater man is already lobbying the UN to sell Windows (see below). They should
    send Gates on a space trip just like Shuttleworth. One-way trip would do
    because he's corrupting too many politicians on Earth. He could live in a
    satellite.

    Recent:

    UN agency and Microsoft plan increased collaboration

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The head of the United Nations International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
    | and the Chairman of Microsoft Bill Gates have discussed enhancing their
    | collaboration on using information technology to spur development around the
    | world.
    `----

    http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...27172&Cr=&Cr1=

    UN think tank urges legislators to support 'open source' information
    technologies, software

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Participation in, not just access to, the information society is important"
    | Ghosh told the UN event, attended by members of parliament from over 40
    | countries. "Open source software gives people fishing rods, not just fish."
    |
    | “The main issue here is a plea for open standards as they guarantee
    | competition,” says Prof. Luc Soete, Director of Maastricht-based UNU-MERIT,
    | underlining the importance of this topic to the Institute’s work. Recently
    | published UNU-MERIT studies demonstrate the strong role of open source
    | software in skills development.
    `----

    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-utt051608.php

    UN University Launches OpenCourseWare

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It seems a no-brainer that the United Nations University (yes, it exists)
    | should make available its courses for the world and her dog to use...
    `----

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...ourseware.html

    Related:

    Technical support for open source system now in GenSan

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dr. Francisco Sarmiento III, project officer of the United Nations
    | Development Programme-International Open Source Network (UNDO-IOSN) Asean+3
    | Sub-regional Node, said local small and medium enterprises (SMEs), government
    | and non-government organizations migrating towards the free and open source
    | software (FOSS) may now link up for support with the Mindanao State
    | University's (MSU) Computer Center here.
    `----

    http://www.mindanews.com/index.php?o...3455&Itemid=50

    UN partners with MSU-Gensan for dev't of 1st Foss center

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A United Nations (UN)-funded organization promoting the use of the free and
    | open source software (Foss) has forged a partnership with the Mindanao State
    | University (MSU) for the development of Southeast Asia's first OpenHUB or
    | accessible FOSS resource center.
    `----

    http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/gen...ss.center.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2r3d26

    Talking FOSS at the UN

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Weesner says that despite the fact that speakers like Stallman and Cooper
    | were well-received last year, "This year [the delegates] expressed a wish to
    | hear more from real-world users instead of the technologists and advocates.
    | This year's agenda does not include open source software developers, apart
    | from Chris DiBona, who will be representing the Google case." Other
    | unconfirmed guest speakers include Virgin America, SchoolNet Namibia, and
    | Banco do Brasil.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/119609

    UN body releases desktop Linux guide

    ,----[ Summary ]
    | A UN-funded organisation has produced a Linux desktop
    | user guide to encourage the take-up of Linux in
    | developing countries
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/lin...9164367,00.htm

    UN Technical Agency Honors Mozilla

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitch...onors_moz.html

    UN body releases desktop Linux guide

    ,----[ Summary ]
    | A UN-funded organisation has produced a Linux desktop
    | user guide to encourage the take-up of Linux in
    | developing countries
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/lin...9164367,00.htm

    Editor's Corner (on Open Source in Healthcare)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Suggesting that a private healthcare provider switch from
    | proprietary software to open source-based applications is one
    | thing. But when an official affiliated with as august a body as
    | the United Nations suggests that all member countries adopt open
    | source for their healthcare applications, that's a much bigger deal.
    `----

    http://www.fiercehealthit.com/story/...ner/2006-10-09

+ Reply to Thread