[News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out - Linux

  1. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:39:01 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way

    So they had 5 phones and sold them all.
    Big deal...
    Mookie will go the way of the Do do bird in good time.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:08:43 -0400
    <1l37gliac6xmr.1enbl6lmjvocc$.dlg@40tude.net>:

  4. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:46:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > I take it you prefer the Samsung Instinct?

    I haven't used one, but it looks as equally slick as the iPhone except
    that it got poor reviews. Maybe if they switched from whatever they now
    use (what do they use?) to Linux it would bring in more third party
    developers to fix the problems.

    -Thufir

  5. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, thufir

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:48:14 GMT
    :
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:46:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >

    >> I take it you prefer the Samsung Instinct?

    > I haven't used one, but it looks as equally slick as the iPhone except
    > that it got poor reviews. Maybe if they switched from whatever they now
    > use (what do they use?) to Linux it would bring in more third party
    > developers to fix the problems.

    I mentioned the Instinct as it is Windows based. ;-)
    Personally, I'm not sure I really care for either one, as
    the iPhone appears to be locked down tighter than Houdini,
    and Samsung pays a license stipend for every Instinct unit
    to Microsoft, presumably.

    The GreenPhone is sold out, but OpenMoko might be running
    around, and Android looks promising, if a bit sloppy from
    the non-Java engineering standpoint (their Java code is
    missing in action, but hopefully they'll release it soon).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
    void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }

  6. Re: OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    On Jul 9, 8:48*pm, thufir wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:46:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    > > I take it you prefer the Samsung Instinct?

    > I haven't used one, but it looks as equally slick as the iPhone except
    > that it got poor reviews. *Maybe if they switched from whatever they now
    > use (what do they use?) to Linux it would bring in more third party
    > developers to fix the problems.
    >
    > -Thufir

    the software is not complete.
    it says so on the web site.
    everybody is waiting for version 2.

    it is like most other open source software.
    i think linux needs to focus on better development
    tools, instead of relying on the old c stuff.

    who does c anymore but the old guys.

  7. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:46:32 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:08:43 -0400
    > <1l37gliac6xmr.1enbl6lmjvocc$.dlg@40tude.net>:
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:39:01 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way

    >> So they had 5 phones and sold them all.
    >> Big deal...
    >> Mookie will go the way of the Do do bird in good time.
    >>

    > I take it you prefer the Samsung Instinct?

    Horrible phone.
    Samsung generally makes good phones, very high quality, but the Instinct
    got horrid reviews on most of the sites.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Less that one week after going on sale via its own e-commerce site, the
    > | 900MHz version of OpenMoko's Neo FreeRunner Linux phone has sold out,
    > but
    > | don't despair yet as more are on the way.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...sells_more_way

    How convenient that they don't mention how many units they actually sold.
    From the article:

    OpenMoko founder Sean Moss-Pultz refused to release details of how many
    900MHz units were produced and sold, but was pleased with the popularity of
    the new phone, saying people from "all over" are purchasing them

    Sales must really be booming.... if they sold out all 10,000 units.

  9. Re: [News] OpenMoko Already Sold Out

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:06:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> FreeRunner Linux phone sells out, more on the way
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Less that one week after going on sale via its own e-commerce site, the
    >>| 900MHz version of OpenMoko's Neo FreeRunner Linux phone has sold out,
    >> but
    >>| don't despair yet as more are on the way.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...sells_more_way
    >>

    > How convenient that they don't mention how many units they actually sold.
    > From the article:

    Yea....
    They probably sold 5 units.

    It's like the old advertising gambit where a company sold 1 car in a month
    and a few months later they manage to sell 2 cars so the advertising moguls
    put out a spot claiming something like "sales have doubled in recent
    months"

    > OpenMoko founder Sean Moss-Pultz refused to release details of how many
    > 900MHz units were produced and sold, but was pleased with the popularity of
    > the new phone, saying people from "all over" are purchasing them

    Yea.

    One person in Nigeria.
    One person in Nome Alaska.
    One person in The Congo.

    etc.....

    > Sales must really be booming.... if they sold out all 10,000 units.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/