OSS at its best: Drupal CMS - Linux

This is a discussion on OSS at its best: Drupal CMS - Linux ; Wanna make nice content-managed websites? Go Open Source, check out http://drupal.org/ !!! "Nope, can't do it." "I have no hope that I am anywhere close." "I don't understand what this does at all..." "Huh. That''s crazy." Users ranging from 6 ...

  1. OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    Wanna make nice content-managed websites?
    Go Open Source, check out http://drupal.org/ !!!

    "Nope, can't do it."
    "I have no hope that I am anywhere close."
    "I don't understand what this does at all..."
    "Huh. That''s crazy."

    Users ranging from 6 months to 10 years web development experience, 1
    month to 10 years CMS experience.

    -- University of Baltimore Drupal Usability Study
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11698508&hl=en
    http://groups.drupal.org/files/Drupa...archReport.pdf

    Go, OSS go!!!

  2. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:55 +0200, OK wrote:

    > Wanna make nice content-managed websites?
    > Go Open Source, check out http://drupal.org/ !!!
    >
    > "Nope, can't do it."
    > "I have no hope that I am anywhere close."
    > "I don't understand what this does at all..."
    > "Huh. That''s crazy."
    >
    > Users ranging from 6 months to 10 years web development experience, 1
    > month to 10 years CMS experience.
    >
    > -- University of Baltimore Drupal Usability Study
    > http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11698508&hl=en
    > http://groups.drupal.org/files/Drupa...archReport.pdf
    >
    > Go, OSS go!!!

    A [perfect testimony to WHY OSS crapware is not used.....

    What a confusing mess of a program this Drupal is.

    Just watching the video made my head spin.

    See the users in total confusion....

    Of course the OSS Linux loons in COLA will blame the user.
    They do it every time....

    Bottom line: Drupal = more OSS Slopware...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:17:24 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 16:11:55 +0200, OK wrote:
    >
    >> Wanna make nice content-managed websites? Go Open Source, check out
    >> http://drupal.org/ !!!
    >>
    >> "Nope, can't do it."
    >> "I have no hope that I am anywhere close." "I don't understand what
    >> this does at all..." "Huh. That''s crazy."
    >>
    >> Users ranging from 6 months to 10 years web development experience, 1
    >> month to 10 years CMS experience.
    >>
    >> -- University of Baltimore Drupal Usability Study
    >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11698508&hl=en
    >> http://groups.drupal.org/files/Drupa...archReport.pdf
    >>
    >> Go, OSS go!!!

    > A [perfect testimony to WHY OSS crapware is not used.....

    A perfect example of your stupidity and bigotry.

    > What a confusing mess of a program this Drupal is.

    Were you born knowing how to use your VCR?

    > Just watching the video made my head spin.

    Did they use words with more than 3 letters?

    > See the users in total confusion....

    No, see you in total confusion.

    > Of course the OSS Linux loons in COLA will blame the user. They do it
    > every time....

    As opposed to you being a lying bitch.

    > Bottom line: Drupal = more OSS Slopware...

    Bottom line, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

    Drupal is a CMS. You don't use a CMS to throw up a one page site. Yes,
    time is needed to become familiar with the tool.

    Do some homework:

    Drupal is one of the most powerful Content Management Systems on the web
    today: in terms of scalability, features, security and templating I found
    it to be the best CMS of all. Its flexibility allows you to create almost
    any type of site you would want: from a simple blog to a forum or an e-
    commerce site - with a little bit of tweaking it's all possible.

    [quote]
    Drupal offers about as many features as the average webmaster would want
    to use. The end-user interface is simple and straight-forward. Some of
    the pre-packaged design templates are very nice as well. From a web
    developers point of view, the modular code structure makes for easy
    customizations.
    ]/quote]

    Drupal is incredible powerful all round system, it has been developed to
    be modular and easy to adapt to almost any situation, it is used by large
    organisations such as the onion for delivering articles, but can just as
    easily be used to create web2.0 based applications. Underneath the front
    end of the system is an expandable system allowing programmers and module
    developers to hook into the core system without having to recode any
    vital files. However Drupal has a sharp learning curve and would perhaps
    not be suitable to webmasters or bloggers who just want to get it up and
    running as quickly as possible.
    <http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...e1/index.html?
    ca=drs->
    [quote]
    Although customization is still necessary, this series shows you the
    tools and techniques to get relatively complicated Web sites up and
    running quickly using open source tools, including Drupal, MySQL, PHP,
    Apache, and Eclipse technologies.

    Ultimately, we chose Drupal. However, it is useful to describe the
    rationale for our decision. The next section describes some of the
    candidate systems, including: Drupal, Mambo, Typo3, Ruby on Rails,
    Movable Type, WordPress, and TextPattern.
    /quote]

    Drupal is the arguably most modular and flexible of Open Source Content
    Management Systems there is. Its standard install has many features. It
    can easily be used as a blog, discussion forum or just a plain old
    brochure site. It's lightweight and uncluttered. It won't work your web
    or database server too hard and will allow you to throttle data driven
    parts of Drupal if your server loads up too much.

    A couple of things to note, however. Drupal is not for the feint of
    heart. If you aren't willing to invest the time to learn and to customize
    Drupal to suit your needs (which can be a bit of a learning curve) then
    it's not the right CMS for you.

    This is great and keeps the webmaster in control of their content and
    their site to the Nth degree. A feature I quite like.

    If you consider this great CMS for your project.. here are a few good
    links that you'll want to have: (read article for links)

    Overall, Drupal is a great framework and it's no surprise why it keeps
    getting so much attention. Some very large sites run Drupal with heavy
    customizations.

    A few I can think of off the top of my head are: PopSugar, SpreadFirefox,
    Ubuntu and Sony's MyPlay to name a few. Check them out, I'm sure you'll
    be surprised at the capabilities of Drupal.
    Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this is
    OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:52:07 -0500, Rick wrote:

> [...]

    >Drupal to suit your needs (which can be a bit of a learning curve) then
    >it's not the right CMS for you.

    >This is great and keeps the webmaster in control of their content and
    >their site to the Nth degree. A feature I quite like.

    >If you consider this great CMS for your project.. here are a few good
    >links that you'll want to have: (read article for links)
    >

    >Overall, Drupal is a great framework and it's no surprise why it keeps
    >getting so much attention. Some very large sites run Drupal with heavy
    >customizations.
    >
    >A few I can think of off the top of my head are: PopSugar, SpreadFirefox,
    >Ubuntu and Sony's MyPlay to name a few. Check them out, I'm sure you'll
    >be surprised at the capabilities of Drupal.
    >

    >Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this is
    >OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    Wow, so much paise, yet unuseable as found by the study. Thankfully
    most new web apps are written on Windows, nowadays.

  5. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:02:55 +0200, OK wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:52:07 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >

    >>Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this is
    >>OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    > Wow, so much paise, yet unuseable as found by the study. Thankfully
    > most new web apps are written on Windows, nowadays.

    It's amazing how the Linux fools will totally ignore *minor facts* like the
    program is unusable.
    What good is a pile of features that people can't use?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:02:55 +0200, OK wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:52:07 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >>> A [perfect testimony to WHY OSS crapware is not used.....

    >>A perfect example of your stupidity and bigotry.
    >>

    >>> What a confusing mess of a program this Drupal is.

    >>Were you born knowing how to use your VCR?
    >>

    >>> Just watching the video made my head spin.

    >>Did they use words with more than 3 letters?
    >>

    >>> See the users in total confusion....

    >>No, see you in total confusion.
    >>

    >>> Of course the OSS Linux loons in COLA will blame the user. They do it
    >>> every time....

    >>As opposed to you being a lying bitch.
    >>

    >>> Bottom line: Drupal = more OSS Slopware...

    >>Bottom line, you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
    >>
    >>Drupal is a CMS. You don't use a CMS to throw up a one page site. Yes,
    >>time is needed to become familiar with the tool.
    >>
    >>Do some homework:
    >>

    >>Drupal is one of the most powerful Content Management Systems on the web
    >>today: in terms of scalability, features, security and templating I
    >>found it to be the best CMS of all. Its flexibility allows you to create
    >>almost any type of site you would want: from a simple blog to a forum or
    >>an e- commerce site - with a little bit of tweaking it's all possible.
    >>

    >> [quote]
    >>Drupal offers about as many features as the average webmaster would want
    >>to use. The end-user interface is simple and straight-forward. Some of
    >>the pre-packaged design templates are very nice as well. From a web
    >>developers point of view, the modular code structure makes for easy
    >>customizations.
    >>]/quote]
    >>

    >>Drupal is incredible powerful all round system, it has been developed to
    >>be modular and easy to adapt to almost any situation, it is used by
    >>large organisations such as the onion for delivering articles, but can
    >>just as easily be used to create web2.0 based applications. Underneath
    >>the front end of the system is an expandable system allowing programmers
    >>and module developers to hook into the core system without having to
    >>recode any vital files. However Drupal has a sharp learning curve and
    >>would perhaps not be suitable to webmasters or bloggers who just want to
    >>get it up and running as quickly as possible.
    >>

    >><http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/i-osource1/

    index.html?
    >>ca=drs->
    >>[quote]
    >>Although customization is still necessary, this series shows you the
    >>tools and techniques to get relatively complicated Web sites up and
    >>running quickly using open source tools, including Drupal, MySQL, PHP,
    >>Apache, and Eclipse technologies.

    >>Ultimately, we chose Drupal. However, it is useful to describe the
    >>rationale for our decision. The next section describes some of the
    >>candidate systems, including: Drupal, Mambo, Typo3, Ruby on Rails,
    >>Movable Type, WordPress, and TextPattern. /quote]
    >>

    >>Drupal is the arguably most modular and flexible of Open Source Content
    >>Management Systems there is. Its standard install has many features. It
    >>can easily be used as a blog, discussion forum or just a plain old
    >>brochure site. It's lightweight and uncluttered. It won't work your web
    >>or database server too hard and will allow you to throttle data driven
    >>parts of Drupal if your server loads up too much.
    >>

    >>A couple of things to note, however. Drupal is not for the feint of
    >>heart. If you aren't willing to invest the time to learn and to
    >>customize Drupal to suit your needs (which can be a bit of a learning
    >>curve) then it's not the right CMS for you.

    >>This is great and keeps the webmaster in control of their content and
    >>their site to the Nth degree. A feature I quite like.

    >>If you consider this great CMS for your project.. here are a few good
    >>links that you'll want to have: (read article for links)
    >>

    >>Overall, Drupal is a great framework and it's no surprise why it keeps
    >>getting so much attention. Some very large sites run Drupal with heavy
    >>customizations.
    >>
    >>A few I can think of off the top of my head are: PopSugar,
    >>SpreadFirefox, Ubuntu and Sony's MyPlay to name a few. Check them out,
    >>I'm sure you'll be surprised at the capabilities of Drupal.
    >>
    >>Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this is
    >>OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    > Wow, so much paise, yet unuseable as found by the study. Thankfully most
    > new web apps are written on Windows, nowadays.

    Learn to read.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

> [...]

    >>This is great and keeps the webmaster in control of their content and
    >>their site to the Nth degree. A feature I quite like.

    >>If you consider this great CMS for your project.. here are a few good
    >>links that you'll want to have: (read article for links)
    >>

    >>Overall, Drupal is a great framework and it's no surprise why it keeps
    >>getting so much attention. Some very large sites run Drupal with heavy
    >>customizations.
    >>
    >>A few I can think of off the top of my head are: PopSugar,
    >>SpreadFirefox, Ubuntu and Sony's MyPlay to name a few. Check them out,
    >>I'm sure you'll be surprised at the capabilities of Drupal.
    >>
    >>Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this is
    >>OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    > Wow, so much paise, yet unuseable as found by the study. Thankfully most
    > new web apps are written on Windows, nowadays.

    If Drupal is so unusable why do these sites use it:

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: OSS at its best: Drupal CMS

    On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:01:17 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 15:02:55 +0200, OK wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:52:07 -0500, Rick wrote:
    >>

    >>>Now, let's watch as you dismiss the above reviews simply because this
    >>>is OSS, and a system with which you are unfamiliar.

    >> Wow, so much paise, yet unuseable as found by the study. Thankfully
    >> most new web apps are written on Windows, nowadays.

    > It's amazing how the Linux fools will totally ignore *minor facts* like
    > the program is unusable.
    > What good is a pile of features that people can't use?

    It is amazing how stupid and dishonest you are. You just can't stand to
    see OSS succeed. Well go ahead, put your head in the sand.

    If Drupal is so unusable why do these sites use it:

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread