Current Maya version among multiple maya installations.. - Linux

This is a discussion on Current Maya version among multiple maya installations.. - Linux ; Hi all, I am a very recent convert to the Linux world, and am trying to port a windows maya plugin app onto Linux.. If i compile one of my cpp files, I get the error: error: `MTypeId' does not ...

  1. Current Maya version among multiple maya installations..

    Hi all,
    I am a very recent convert to the Linux world, and am trying to port a
    windows maya plugin app onto Linux..

    If i compile one of my cpp files, I get the error:
    error: `MTypeId' does not name a type

    and plenty of other such Maya API related errors... In order to solve
    these, I would need to include the necessary library paths while
    giving the 'gcc' compile command using the -I option, right?

    Now I would like to know which is the maya version which is running on
    my system. The machine which has been given to me has lots of maya
    installations on it, and hence I don't know exactly which maya
    installation (libraries, includes, etc. ) should I point my code to?

    Many thanks,
    Akshay

  2. Re: Current Maya version among multiple maya installations..

    Hiya,

    Akshay Loke wrote:

    > If i compile one of my cpp files, I get the error:
    > error: `MTypeId' does not name a type
    >
    > and plenty of other such Maya API related errors... In order to solve
    > these, I would need to include the necessary library paths while
    > giving the 'gcc' compile command using the -I option, right?

    Well it's not the library paths you want for that error, it's the header
    files, but yes you would add the search path to the header files through
    the -I option.

    At the link step you will require the library paths, which you can specify
    with the -L option (and specific library files with the lowercase
    equivalent: -l).

    > Now I would like to know which is the maya version which is running on
    > my system. The machine which has been given to me has lots of maya
    > installations on it, and hence I don't know exactly which maya
    > installation (libraries, includes, etc. ) should I point my code to?

    Presumably these are all working installations. So, you should be able to
    run all the versions on the machine. If so, you should be able to build
    against any of them and find your plugin runs with that installation.

    While I'm not familiar with Maya plugin development, most systems for C/C++
    will provide a define from the header files which indicates the version,
    possibly called something akin to MAYA_VERSION. With this you should be
    able to get your plugin running with all of the versions installed.

    Cheers,
    John McCallum

  3. Re: Current Maya version among multiple maya installations..

    On Jul 9, 9:12*am, John McCallum
    wrote:
    > Hiya,
    >
    > Akshay Loke wrote:
    > > If i compile one of my cpp files, I get the error:
    > > error: `MTypeId' does not name a type

    > > and plenty of other suchMayaAPI related errors... In order to solve
    > > these, I would need to include the necessary library paths while
    > > giving the 'gcc' compile command using the -I option, right?

    > Well it's not the library paths you want for that error, it's the header
    > files, but yes you would add the search path to the header files through
    > the -I option.
    >
    > At the link step you will require the library paths, which you can specify
    > with the -L option (and specific library files with the lowercase
    > equivalent: -l).

    Thanks John... I tried the thing about the header files using the -I
    option and that worked.. i have got myself a nice little makefile now
    to compile the source code.. and its going smoothly..

    > > Now I would like to know which is themayaversion which is running on
    > > my system. The machine which has been given to me has lots ofmaya
    > > installations on it, and hence I don't know exactly whichmaya
    > > installation (libraries, includes, etc. ) should I point my code to?

    > Presumably these are all working installations. So, you should be able to
    > run all the versions on the machine. If so, you should be able to build
    > against any of them and find yourpluginruns with that installation.
    >
    > While I'm not familiar withMayaplugindevelopment, most systems for C/C++
    > will provide a define from the header files which indicates the version,
    > possibly called something akin to MAYA_VERSION. With this you should be
    > able to get yourpluginrunning with all of the versions installed.

    Yup... Most of them are working installations, and I just selected the
    version which was most similar to the one on windows.. i just needed
    to declare an env variable containing the path to the maya
    installation, in order to give the paths to the maya header files...

    Many thanks again,
    Akshay

+ Reply to Thread