[News] Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer - Linux ; http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9984277-33.html A few recent stories highlighted a bedrock of Defensive Computing - if you surf the web on a Windows computer, you are safer using Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer. ...... Firefox does an excellent job of updating itself, ...

  1. [News] Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9984277-33.html

    A few recent stories highlighted a bedrock of Defensive Computing -
    if you surf the web on a Windows computer, you are safer using
    Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer.

    Firefox does an excellent job of updating itself, Internet Explorer
    does not. The survey found many IE users running old versions of the
    browser, moreso than other browsers. For example, Firefox defaults
    to opening up a window telling the user that there is a new version,
    what the new version is, and asking for permission to install it.
    Internet Explorer doesn't come close to being that user-friendly.

    On June 26th at ZDNet Ryan Naraine wrote about a new bug in Internet
    Explorer (Zero-day flaw haunts Internet Explorer) for which
    Microsoft has no fix/patch. A few days later, he documented how the
    bad guys were exploiting this bug (Exploit code released for
    unpatched IE 7 vulnerability). That story starts with "Another day,
    another gaping hole affecting fully patched versions of Microsoft's
    Internet Explorer browser." We've been down this road before.

    The original source for stories about this particular bug is US-CERT
    Vulnerability Note VU#516627 which says the bug affects IE6, IE7 and
    even the beta edition of the upcoming IE8. A trifecta.

    Update. July 6, 2008: Tuesday July 8th is Patch Tuesday and
    according to Ryan Naraine at ZDNet there will be no fixes to
    Internet Explorer, which currently suffers from several known bugs.
    Quoting:

    "These include the Safari-to-IE bug reported by Aviv Raff, the
    cross-domain zero-day affecting IE 6, the cross-site scripting
    bug reported by Roel Schouwenberg, the print table of links
    issue, and the serious iFrame hijacking flaw discussed by
    Sirdarckat. There really is no excuse for the delay in patching
    the Safari-to-IE code execution flaw. It was reported to
    Microsoft since 2006!"

    Sure there's an excuse: how many boxes will that fix sell?

    --
    A computer without Windows is like ice cream without ketchup.

  2. Re: [News] Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9984277-33.html
    >
    > A few recent stories highlighted a bedrock of Defensive Computing -
    > if you surf the web on a Windows computer, you are safer using
    > Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer.

    Tell this to the Vienna officials: they're forcing Internet Explorer down
    the throats of even the youngest in the course of teaching them computer
    skills, killing their Linux migration in the process of sustaining their
    Windows addiction.
    And perhaps worst of all: the name of the IE-only program -- SchlaumaĆ¼se,
    i.e. Smart Mice -- suggests that this is a smart way to use a cmoputer ...

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  3. Re: [News] Still more reasons to avoid Internet Explorer

    On 2008-07-07, Richard Rasker claimed:
    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13554_3-9984277-33.html
    >>
    >> A few recent stories highlighted a bedrock of Defensive Computing -
    >> if you surf the web on a Windows computer, you are safer using
    >> Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer.

    > Tell this to the Vienna officials: they're forcing Internet Explorer down
    > the throats of even the youngest in the course of teaching them computer
    > skills, killing their Linux migration in the process of sustaining their
    > Windows addiction.
    > And perhaps worst of all: the name of the IE-only program -- SchlaumaĆ¼se,
    > i.e. Smart Mice -- suggests that this is a smart way to use a cmoputer ...

    Anybody who designs anything that /requires/ Windwoes or IE should be
    put in a maximum security prison. Give 'em a few turns in the sack with
    Bubba, say 25 to life.

    --
    They say if you play the Windows Vista DVD backward you'll hear
    Satanic messages. But even scarier, if you play it forward it