inittab -slow restart - Linux

This is a discussion on inittab -slow restart - Linux ; Hello I have added a line in the inittab config file, the command works, but the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command is executed Am I using the wrong command , is this ...

  1. inittab -slow restart

    Hello

    I have added a line in the inittab config file, the command works, but
    the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command
    is executed
    Am I using the wrong command , is this delay normal?

    /etc> view /etc/inittab
    sl:3:respawn:/etc/rc3.d/snmpd start

    Thanks

    Ken

  2. Re: inittab -slow restart

    On 07/07/2008 11:48 AM, lerameur wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I have added a line in the inittab config file, the command works, but
    > the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command
    > is executed
    > Am I using the wrong command , is this delay normal?
    >
    > /etc> view /etc/inittab
    > sl:3:respawn:/etc/rc3.d/snmpd start

    Most likely what is happening is that the command is respawning too
    rapidly and init is shutting it down for a grace period. Look under
    DIAGNOSTICS on the init man page.

    'snmpd start' either starts up the snmpd daemon or prints a warning
    that snmpd is alread started. It then exits. Init then runs the
    script again and again and again...

    You probably want to put the snmpd command line in your inittab if
    you don't trust the system startup to get it running.

    Doug

  3. Re: inittab -slow restart

    On Jul 7, 12:18 pm, Douglas O'Neal wrote:
    > On 07/07/2008 11:48 AM, lerameur wrote:
    >
    > > Hello

    > > I have added a line in theinittabconfig file, the command works, but
    > > the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command
    > > is executed
    > > Am I using the wrong command , is this delay normal?

    > > /etc> view /etc/inittab
    > > sl:3:respawn:/etc/rc3.d/snmpd start

    > Most likely what is happening is that the command is respawning too
    > rapidly and init is shutting it down for a grace period. Look under
    > DIAGNOSTICS on the init man page.
    >
    > 'snmpd start' either starts up the snmpd daemon or prints a warning
    > that snmpd is alread started. It then exits. Init then runs the
    > script again and again and again...
    >
    > You probably want to put the snmpd command line in yourinittabif
    > you don't trust the system startup to get it running.
    >
    > Doug

    Hello

    I added the snmp command in my inittab and I am still getting a 5
    minute delay before it starts up. What is odd about this is that
    during this 5 minutes, I cannot do a manual restart (the command I
    copied in the inittab)..

    ken

  4. Re: inittab -slow restart

    On Jul 7, 12:18 pm, Douglas O'Neal wrote:
    > On 07/07/2008 11:48 AM, lerameur wrote:
    >
    > > Hello

    > > I have added a line in theinittabconfig file, the command works, but
    > > the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command
    > > is executed
    > > Am I using the wrong command , is this delay normal?

    > > /etc> view /etc/inittab
    > > sl:3:respawn:/etc/rc3.d/snmpd start

    > Most likely what is happening is that the command is respawning too
    > rapidly and init is shutting it down for a grace period. Look under
    > DIAGNOSTICS on the init man page.
    >
    > 'snmpd start' either starts up the snmpd daemon or prints a warning
    > that snmpd is alread started. It then exits. Init then runs the
    > script again and again and again...
    >
    > You probably want to put the snmpd command line in yourinittabif
    > you don't trust the system startup to get it running.
    >
    > Doug

    Hi Doug,

    I did try to put the snmp command directly in the inittab. The snmp
    does not start up before 5 minutes. Also during this 5 minutes, I
    tried to get the snmp running but with no success, It do not start
    even though type the start command at the prompt..
    any ideas,

    thanks

    ken

  5. Re: inittab -slow restart

    Keep Linux free
    Spam and smoke free as well

    lerameur wrote:
    > On Jul 7, 12:18 pm, Douglas O'Neal wrote:
    > > On 07/07/2008 11:48 AM, lerameur wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello

    > > > I have added a line in theinittabconfig file, the command works, but
    > > > the problem is that it takes about 3 to 5 minutes before the command
    > > > is executed
    > > > Am I using the wrong command , is this delay normal?

    > > > /etc> view /etc/inittab
    > > > sl:3:respawn:/etc/rc3.d/snmpd start

    > > Most likely what is happening is that the command is respawning too
    > > rapidly and init is shutting it down for a grace period. Look under
    > > DIAGNOSTICS on the init man page.
    > >
    > > 'snmpd start' either starts up the snmpd daemon or prints a warning
    > > that snmpd is alread started. It then exits. Init then runs the
    > > script again and again and again...
    > >
    > > You probably want to put the snmpd command line in yourinittabif
    > > you don't trust the system startup to get it running.
    > >
    > > Doug

    > Hi Doug,
    >
    > I did try to put the snmp command directly in the inittab. The snmp
    > does not start up before 5 minutes. Also during this 5 minutes, I
    > tried to get the snmp running but with no success, It do not start
    > even though type the start command at the prompt..
    > any ideas,
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ken

+ Reply to Thread