The Vienna migration mayhem -- why? - Linux

This is a discussion on The Vienna migration mayhem -- why? - Linux ; Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration ran into trouble: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_to_linux_why Richard Rasker -- http://www.linetec.nl...

  1. The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration ran into
    > trouble:
    >
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_to_linux_why
    >

    > Richard Rasker

    Google will show you the following is something I warned about for this
    and the Munich migration.

    ,----
    | Their first, huge mistake was their attempt to roll out their own
    | GNU/Linux distribution called Wienux. In my opinion, this move showed a
    | mixture of madness, boldness and sadistic intentions; or, maybe, just
    | lack of experience.
    `----

    People with no idea, like High Plains Hypocrite and Peter Koehlmann,
    laughed my warnings down.

    And, of course, not surprisingly:

    ,----
    `----

    --
    "His asshole is so reamed out he has room for an oxygen
    tank, too."

  3. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 01:39:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration ran into
    >> trouble:
    >>
    >> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_to_linux_why
    >>

    >> Richard Rasker

    > Google will show you the following is something I warned about for this
    > and the Munich migration.
    >
    > ,----
    >| Their first, huge mistake was their attempt to roll out their own
    >| GNU/Linux distribution called Wienux. In my opinion, this move showed a
    >| mixture of madness, boldness and sadistic intentions; or, maybe, just
    >| lack of experience.
    > `----
    >
    > People with no idea, like High Plains Hypocrite and Peter Koehlmann,
    > laughed my warnings down.
    >
    > And, of course, not surprisingly:
    >
    > ,----
    >| Another issue they raised was about hardware compatibility. This is at
    >| least partially a result of them creating their own GNU/Linux
    >| distribution (which, as I said earlier, was a bad move to start with)
    > `----

    You were right on target with this one Hadron...

    Watch the Linux drones run and hide, yet again...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Homer writes:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:
    >
    >> Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration
    >> ran into trouble:

    > So it boils down to them insisting on keeping their proprietary
    > Microsoft “Schlaumäuse” software, when there are Free Software
    > alternatives.

    Nope. It boiled down to idiots running the project. And HW issues. And
    update issues. And the workload required in creating Weenerlux.

    > Idiots.
    >
    > Certainly Brazil has no difficulties servicing the needs of 52 Million
    > children with Linux:
    >
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9016897370.html

    Yes, clever one, 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    need to work with their existing data.

    --
    The "XP could sink Microsoft" thread his an absolute gem. You'd think
    these advocates were related to Nostradamus!

  5. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Hadron wrote:
    > Homer writes:

    >> Certainly Brazil has no difficulties servicing the needs of 52 Million
    >> children with Linux:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9016897370.html

    > Yes, clever one, 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    > need to work with their existing data.

    Good point, but it applies in Vienna too. The worst part of last
    month's setback was a decision not to use Linux in Vienna's kindergartens.

  6. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:
    >
    >> Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration
    >> ran into trouble:

    > So it boils down to them insisting on keeping their proprietary
    > Microsoft “Schlaumäuse” software, when there are Free Software alternatives.
    >
    > Idiots.
    >
    > Certainly Brazil has no difficulties servicing the needs of 52 Million
    > children with Linux:
    >
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9016897370.html

    I would be surprised if the Schlaumäuse issue were much other than a red
    herring or an insulting token of the city council's stubbornness.

  7. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    > Hadron quacked:
    >>
    >> 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    >> need to work with their existing data.

    So you admit that Linux is the superior OS and is the best choice for
    those who are not somehow locked-into Micro$oft proprietary crapware, or
    who can migrate with insignificant inconvenience?

  8. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration ran into
    > trouble:
    >
    > http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...e_to_linux_why
    >

    > Richard Rasker

    Maybe you need to be the size of a nation or a very large corporation to
    get away with building your own distro, unless maybe you use newer tools
    that make it much easier. But I don't think Munich or Vienna are using
    those.

  9. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    chrisv writes:

    >> Hadron quacked:
    >>>
    >>> 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    >>> need to work with their existing data.

    > So you admit that Linux is the superior OS and is the best choice for
    > those who are not somehow locked-into Micro$oft proprietary crapware, or
    > who can migrate with insignificant inconvenience?

    In many cases yes. Why wouldn't I? It's certainly the best solution for
    me at the moment.

    --
    "Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
    chrisv, COLA.

  10. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:30:07 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Homer writes:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:
    >>
    >>> Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration
    >>> ran into trouble:

    >> So it boils down to them insisting on keeping their proprietary
    >> Microsoft Schlaumuse software, when there are Free Software
    >> alternatives.

    > Nope. It boiled down to idiots running the project. And HW issues. And
    > update issues. And the workload required in creating Weenerlux.

    Sounds like the typical Linux migration.
    In fact it sounds like just about everything the Linux loons get involved
    with.

    See the OLPC fiasco for details.

    >> Idiots.
    >>
    >> Certainly Brazil has no difficulties servicing the needs of 52 Million
    >> children with Linux:
    >>
    >> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9016897370.html

    > Yes, clever one, 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    > need to work with their existing data.

    Notice how the loons try to move off the topic to take the focus away from
    the inept project.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:14:31 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    >> Hadron quacked:
    >>>
    >>> 52000000 children rarely have legacy desktop SW they
    >>> need to work with their existing data.

    > So you admit that Linux is the superior OS and is the best choice for
    > those who are not somehow locked-into Micro$oft proprietary crapware, or
    > who can migrate with insignificant inconvenience?

    I reccomend what works for each particular situation.

    If all the criteria you mentioned above is the case, then I would surely
    suggest Linux.
    It depends.

    Use the software that allows the job to be done with the most efficiency.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: The Vienna migration mayhem -- why?

    Homer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Richard Rasker spake thusly:
    >
    >> Here's a quite palatable article on why the Vienna Linux migration
    >> ran into trouble:

    > So it boils down to them insisting on keeping their proprietary
    > Microsoft ?Schlaumuse? software, when there are Free Software alternatives.
    >
    > Idiots.
    >
    > Certainly Brazil has no difficulties servicing the needs of 52 Million
    > children with Linux:
    >
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9016897370.html

    Absolutely, the whole thing was about lock-in to Windows. It's quite
    possible that the situation should be looked at by the anti-trust
    people.