Fake Microsoft patch spam makes rounds

,----[ Quote ]
| A new spam attack falsely alerts users to download a Microsoft patch, but
| when responded to, the user is directed to a page that installs malware on
| the user's computer.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Fake-Mic...rticle/112059/

Update: Windows Update gets update

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced that it will be rolling out an infrastructure update
| to the Windows Update agent over the next few months. So how does Windows
| keep itself up-to-date and what does the Update update mean to you?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19247/53/

Microsoft scrutinizes WSUS patch snafu

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Monday confirmed it is investigating two-week-old reports from
| users unable to update client PCs using Windows Server Update Services
| (WSUS), but said that it is "premature" to assume the snafu had the same
| source as another patch glitch the company has grappled with since mid-June.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...sus-patch.html

Recent:

Microsoft Patches its XP Patch

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Microsoft posted a hotfix for a problem users first reported in
| mid-May. Users of Symantec's consumer security software said that after
| updating their PCs to XP SP3, a bug emptied Windows' Device Driver and
| deleted network connections.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._xp_patch.html
http://tinyurl.com/6b2p4c

Symantec Blames Microsoft for XP SP3 Registry Corruption

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec Thursday said it was Microsoft's code that crippled some PCs after
| upgrades to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) emptied Device Manager, deleted
| network connections, and packed the Registry with thousands of bogus entries.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

Windows XP SP3 still officially AWOL, but can be found on BitTorrent,
Microsoft servers

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, in a low-key announcement on a support newsgroup, Microsoft said
| * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| it would delay the release of XP SP3 because of data corruption issues
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| between the updated operating system and its retail point-of-sale software.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

XP change corrupts data, hamstrings SP3 rollout

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft spokeswoman on Wednesday acknowledged that the same problems
| affected Dynamics RMS users running XP SP3.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

Microsoft admits big delay on Home Server bug fix

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that it will not deliver a fix to a Windows Home
| Server data corruption bug it first discovered late last year until June at
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the earliest.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...me_server_bug/

Router crashes blamed on Windows XP SP3

,----[ Quote ]
| Been having problems with your broadband router rebooting unexpectedly?
| Windows XP SP3 has been named as the culprit.
`----

http://apcmag.com/router_crashes_bla...ows_xp_sp3.htm

XP SP3 update corrupts Windows registry, users claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec Corp. today denied that its consumer security software, including
| Norton Internet Security and Norton 360, is to blame for wreaking havoc on
| some users' PCs after they upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 3.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/arti...&intsrc=kc_top

Windows XP SP3: Beware the service pack!

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing that happened after installing Vista SP1 is that it broke my
| HP printer driver. That wasn't too bad, I fixed that quite easily by
| uninstalling the driver and doing a clean reinstallation. However, the fact
| that a service pack upgrade caused an instability in a previously working
| standard software installation is a concern.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18109/1023/

XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

,----[ Quote ]