Microsoft Needs to Empty Windows Trash, Reboot

,----[ Quote ]
| I've wondered aloud about this for years when hanging out with Microsoft
| developers and engineers and employees in other divisions. Why not simply
| make a break with the past, and ship virtualization software complete with a
| full working version of, say, Windows XP and Vista that is locked to run only
| as a brain-in-the-box in the emulator? It's hard to see how this cannibalizes
| their market or makes anything worse than it is already.

How Can Microsoft Get Right by Me and Blow OSX Out of the Water?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am upset with Microsoft. Windows Vista is a terrible operating system. It
| is bloated and unwieldy and the taskbar looks ugly. Don’t get me wrong, I
| like the functionality of Vista it has some cool features; the trouble is
| that it comes with too many ghosts of Windows past. The legacy code from all
| of those past versions is the problem.
| Windows needs a ground up redesign; by all accounts, Windows 7 is simply more
| of the same. Which means it will contain reams and reams of old code and it
| will probably require even more hard disk space than Vista. I doubt that the
| RAM requirements will be any higher. If the RAM requirements go too much
| higher, then Microsoft will have to build a proper 64-bit operating system.

Good luck trying Vista with 4GB of RAM. The O/S was 'fixed' to /FAKE/ the
amount memory you can address. Pretty white lies?

Blog: Should Microsoft Throw Away Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Throw Vista away. That's what many have now argued that Microsoft should do.
| Give it a dignified resting place, as a stepping-stone OS, and come up with a
| replacement that's more sensible for enterprise IT. There is historical
| precedent in the consumer OS space for such a move; look at Windows ME and
| how it became a footnote in Microsoft history. * *
| "Microsoft should toss Vista in the trash, as the company did with Windows
| Millennium eight years ago, then issue a Windows XP Second Edition (as it did
| with Windows 98 eight years ago) that capitalizes on some of Vista's key
| benefits. *

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell. *
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP." *
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers. * *

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

Has Vista lost all credibility?

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
| Vista. * *
| ^^^^^

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
| important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
| the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo. *

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *
| Lenovo.

Interesting comment from CompUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
| (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
| credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
| figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
| exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
| many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
| know" type statement. * * *

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
| the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
| Vista licences are yet to deploy the software. *

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)