Microsoft Needs to Empty Windows Trash, Reboot

,----[ Quote ]
| I've wondered aloud about this for years when hanging out with Microsoft
| developers and engineers and employees in other divisions. Why not simply
| make a break with the past, and ship virtualization software complete with a
| full working version of, say, Windows XP and Vista that is locked to run only
| as a brain-in-the-box in the emulator? It's hard to see how this cannibalizes
| their market or makes anything worse than it is already.
`----

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9674

How Can Microsoft Get Right by Me and Blow OSX Out of the Water?

,----[ Quote ]
| I am upset with Microsoft. Windows Vista is a terrible operating system. It
| is bloated and unwieldy and the taskbar looks ugly. Don’t get me wrong, I
| like the functionality of Vista it has some cool features; the trouble is
| that it comes with too many ghosts of Windows past. The legacy code from all
| of those past versions is the problem.
|
| Windows needs a ground up redesign; by all accounts, Windows 7 is simply more
| of the same. Which means it will contain reams and reams of old code and it
| will probably require even more hard disk space than Vista. I doubt that the
| RAM requirements will be any higher. If the RAM requirements go too much
| higher, then Microsoft will have to build a proper 64-bit operating system.
`----

http://www.uberreview.com/2008/07/ho...f-the-wate.htm

Good luck trying Vista with 4GB of RAM. The O/S was 'fixed' to /FAKE/ the
amount memory you can address. Pretty white lies?

Related:

Blog: Should Microsoft Throw Away Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| Throw Vista away. That's what many have now argued that Microsoft should do.
| Give it a dignified resting place, as a stepping-stone OS, and come up with a
| replacement that's more sensible for enterprise IT. There is historical
| precedent in the consumer OS space for such a move; look at Windows ME and
| how it became a footnote in Microsoft history. * *
|
| "Microsoft should toss Vista in the trash, as the company did with Windows
| Millennium eight years ago, then issue a Windows XP Second Edition (as it did
| with Windows 98 eight years ago) that capitalizes on some of Vista's key
| benefits. *
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;1952707477

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell. *
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP." *
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers. * *
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/busine...nclick_check=1

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...apable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/mic...rtner=yahootix

Has Vista lost all credibility?

http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
| Vista. * *
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...indows_vi.html

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles...n.olympic.pcs/

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday. *

| Lenovo.

`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/...SS&NewsID=9579

Interesting comment from CompUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
| (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
| credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
| figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
| exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
| many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
| know" type statement. * * *
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/i...m-compusa.html

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed