[News] FSF India Praises Kerala - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] FSF India Praises Kerala - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: >> Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally With a resume full of proprietary technologies, why are you even pretending to be an open source "advocate"?...

  1. Re: [News] FSF India Praises Kerala

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally

    With a resume full of proprietary technologies, why are you even pretending
    to be an open source "advocate"?

  2. Re: [News] FSF India Praises Kerala

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 19:12:51 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >>> Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally

    > With a resume full of proprietary technologies, why are you even pretending
    > to be an open source "advocate"?

    Roy Schestowitz isn't an open source advocate.

    Roy Schestowitz is a $elf $erving paid SPAMMER anti-Microsoft propagandist.

    Notice all the off topic SPAM he spewed today.

    For some odd reason Schestowitz thinks that putting[Rival] in front of his
    SPAM makes it ok.

    So where is Mark Kent and HPT crying about charter violations?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. [News] FSF India Praises Kerala

    FSF India sends letter to Education Minister of Kerela

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally
    |
    | During the last few decades, Kerala has been following a unique development
    | path that has been considered a model for the rest of the country and even
    | other underdeveloped countries. Kerala, again showed a model to the world
    | with its vision to build an inclusive Knowledge society. Its IT Policy
    | clearly states that the "Government realizes that Free Software presents a
    | truly unique opportunity in building a truly egalitarian knowledge society.
    | The Government will take all efforts to develop Free Software and Free
    | Knowledge and shall encourage and mandate the appropriate use of Free
    | Software in all ICT initiatives." (section 2.10, IT Policy document, Kerala
    | Govt.)
    |
    | We congratulate the government for its efforts to support Free Software and
    | free knowledge initiatives. Schools, KSEB, Kerala State Khadi Board etc.
    | successfully completed their migration to Free Software. Public sector
    | initiatives like Keltron are doing mega projects completely in Free Software.
    | With these examples, the state showed that "Free Software" is a feasible
    | technological alternative to any proprietary technology.
    `----

    http://www.gnu.org.in/fsf-india-send...on-minister-of

    Related:

    All set for Linux users’ meet

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new and most exciting development in Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
    | scene, no doubt, is the launch of Mozilla Firefox 3, a FOSS Application for
    | Internet browsing that provides better speed, security and flexibility.
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/20/stor...2050950200.htm

    Kerala Blazing the Trail for FOSS in Schools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to completely
    | banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software to be used in the
    | mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations that half a million students
    | took in March. Till last year, they could take the exam using either free
    | software or the Microsoft platform. Not anymore'. * *
    `----

    http://educatorslog.in/kerala_blazin...oss_in_schools

    Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    | software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
    | text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
    | and the Free Software Foundation of India. *
    `----

    http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

    Adventures with Neko

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently, a few of us had a discussion about translating the book to
    | Malayalam. GNU/Linux is now available in a lot of schools - and a local
    | language version would be a boon to many smart kids who are capable of
    | learning things by themselves. *
    `----

    http://pramode.net/2008/01/06/adventures-with-neko/

    The Story of Free Software in Kerala, India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We saw how Free Software has come to stay in Kerala. The natural question
    | this raises is, “Why Kerala?” There is no other state in the country where
    | Free Software has made an impact that is anywhere near that in Kerala. *
    `----

    http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007...ala-india.html

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

    “Linux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
    interoperability is as high as Microsoft”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
    | working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
    | opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
    | on the market
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
    | to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
    | Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
    | used in government depart*ments and education sector. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | We have developed a partner*ship with eSys India who already has its own base
    | of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
    | to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
    | dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
    | reach to the customers is increased. * *
    `----

    http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/c.../107070601.asp

    Students develop supercomputer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Team leader C. Mahesh said that Dakshina, with Linux operating system, is a
    | platform to deliver excellent performance for users who seek high computer
    | power and resource in a multitasking environment. Dakshina utilises message
    | passing interface for a fault tolerant communication between the
    | computational nodes. It also utilises parallelism technologies like
    | multicore, multithreading and cluster of workstations. * *
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/06/stor...0650920200.htm

    FOSS India Awards: Name It To Claim It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to openITis.com, "By creating a platform for Indian developers to
    | showcase their contributions, we hope to wipe away the rampant misconception
    | that Indians do not contribute to the FOSS ecosystem..." *
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/22513/news.htm

    Students develop new GNU installer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “The developed installer LX series of advanced Debian GNU Hurd is available
    | in the CD format. It makes the installation task much simple and easy to
    | boot,” said Raju. The students were assisted by two lecturers P Badarudeen
    | and A.Ragesh of the IT department, besides the guidance by Philip Charles. *
    `----

    http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...Kerala&rLink=0

    Dishaa '08 a big success

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    IT@SCHOOL project in NEWS-

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IT@SCHOOL project offers exclusively free software based support for primary
    | education in kerala.This time,Director of Public instruction has decided to
    | conduct SSLC(secondary school leaving certificate-the basic requirement for
    | higher studies in INDIA) IT practical examination for this year from 27th
    | February to 7th March 2008. It is first time , conducting IT practical
    | examination for complete students in the free software – IT@School GNU/Linux.
    | IT@School project and Pareekshabhavan has entrusted to conduct the
    | examination for more than 4.7 lakh students throughout the schools of Kerala,
    | Lakshadeep and Gulf countries. IT@school admins are preparing to apply for
    | guiness as they have the largest number of student attending an exam based on
    | exclusive free software based softwares * * * * *
    `----

    http://en.theorasea.org/story.php?ti...oject-in-NEWS-

+ Reply to Thread