[News] The Option of Minix, Father of Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] The Option of Minix, Father of Linux - Linux ; On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:20:54 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > MINIX 3 and Sound Card Buzz! Who cares? -- Moshe Goldfarb Collector of soaps from around the globe. Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/...

  1. Re: [News] The Option of Minix, Father of Linux

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:20:54 -0400, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > MINIX 3 and Sound Card Buzz!

    Who cares?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  2. [News] The Option of Minix, Father of Linux

    MINIX 3 and Sound Card Buzz!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MINIX has been around for a while now, and to all of those who think that
    | Linux is better, just remember this: MINIX is older than Linux! In fact,
    | Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux) used MINIX as inspiration and a guide
    | when writing Linux.
    |
    | If you are interested in MINIX, and don't feel like dual-booting or
    | getting rid of your current operating system, MINIX can be run on a
    | virtual machine. See http://www.minix3.org/doc/faq.html#simulators for
    | more details!
    `----

    http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvo...3_and_sou.html

    Related:

    DIY CPU demo'd running Minix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bill Buzbee offered the first public demonstration of the Minix OS -- a
    | cousin of Linux -- running on his homebrew minicomputer, today at the Vintage
    | Computer Festival in Mountain View, Calif. Magic-1, built with 74-series TTL
    | ICs using wire-wrap construction, implements a homebrew, 8086-like ISA. * *
    `----

    Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Andrew S Tanenbaum: A couple of years ago this guy called Ken Brown
    | wrote a book saying that Linus stole Linux from me, from Minix,
    | and therefore the intellectual property rights are unclear and
    | therefore companies shouldn't use Linux because I might sue them.
    |
    | It later came out that Microsoft had paid him to do this --
    | and I defended Linus. I wrote on my Web site saying that this
    | guy Brown came through, visited me and I gave him the
    | [correct] story.
    `----

    http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy...9273224,00.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/3c78xz

    Debian GNU/Minix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Finally someone has seen the light and started a project that I called for in
    | a previous article. This melding of the Minix kernel with the GNU userland is
    | called Preventa, and seems to poke fun at the name Nexenta, a similar project
    | using the Solaris kernel, all in good fun I’m sure, considering that the
    | project leader’s blog is called “La Salle Debain” (a play on “Debian” and the
    | French for “bathroom”). * *
    `----

    http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/200...bian-gnuminix/

    Minix 3.1.3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This isn't Ubuntu Linux, or even Linux at all, and it shows. That's
    | not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to know what you're
    | getting into.
    `----

    http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/minix313.htm

    Release Notes of MINIX 3.1.3 - Developer's Interim Release

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MINIX 3.1.3 was released friday, april 13th 2007. It is not a full-quality,
    | stable release but a work-in-progress interim release.
    `----

    http://www.minix3.org/download/releasenotes-3.1.3.html

    Review of Minix 3.1.2a IDE build2

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There has been some controversy regarding the intertwined histories
    | of Linux and Minix. It's true that Linus Torvalds used Minix and the
    | first versions of Linux required a Minix system to boot from.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The overall feel of Minix is super lightweight and fast. It reminds
    | me of older Unix systems with the behaviour of some of the
    | system tools.
    `----

    http://www.openaddict.com/review_of_...de_build2.html

    MINIX: what is it, and why is it still relevant?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MINIX, as originated by Andy Tanenbaum, is an operating system that
    | has its roots and heart in academia as a tool that teaches you how
    | kernels really should work. Recently, however, with the advent of
    | version three of this rock solid OS, the focus is on making a
    | production ripe embedded distribution.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/minix

    Comparing Linux and Minix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The UnixBench results (raw results: Minix, Linux) paint a rather
    | different picture. These results are summarized in the plot to the
    | left; the upper bar for each test represents Linux. The measured
    | system call overhead for Minix is a full ten times higher than
    | the value for Linux. The file copy tests ran between two and ten
    | times faster on Linux. Pipe throughput differed by a factor of
    | seven; Minix was 140 times slower at process creation. The
    | difference in shell script execution performance, however, was
    | 1.4 - in Minix's favor. One assumes that the rather simple shell
    | provided by Minix is, at least, faster than bash.
    `----

    http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/220255/2031d5ff96d848d5/

    Tanenbaum outlines his vision for a grandma-proof OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software today is blighted by being too bloated, says Andrew Tanenbaum
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "Maybe the direction Linux could go would be [as] the system that is
    | ultra reliable, that works all the time and has not got all the
    | problems that you get in Windows," he suggested.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...pid;1968336438

    Andrew Tanenbaum: Operating systems' Mr Reliable

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Almost 20 years on, what would you say has been MINIX's
    | contribution to society?
    |
    | Well, it has educated hundreds of thousands of students worldwide
    | in operating system design. It also led to Linux. I doubt that
    | Linus would have written Linux if he hadn't had the MINIX source
    | code to study carefully. I think that it will yet show that the
    | only way to make a system truly reliable is to make it small
    | and modular.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...b16%3bfpid%3b1

+ Reply to Thread