It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF - Linux

This is a discussion on It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF - Linux ; There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off. Linux is still about geeks. Geeks say things like: -Read the manual. -Works on my machine. -You are too stupid. It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off.
    Linux is still about geeks. Geeks say things like:

    -Read the manual.
    -Works on my machine.
    -You are too stupid.

    It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's,
    are back.

    Apple is all about the USER EXPERIENCE.
    Linux is all about .... who knows.

    If you come from a WINDOWS world,
    the TERMINAL is considered a step
    back in time.

    The user community wants to USE LINUX,
    not command line.

  2. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:04:13 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off. Linux is still
    > about geeks. Geeks say things like:
    >
    > -Read the manual.

    You should always learn how to use your tools.

    > -Works on my machine.

    Many times it does work on their machines.

    > -You are too stupid.

    Well, ... in some cases...

    > It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's, are back.
    >
    > Apple is all about the USER EXPERIENCE.

    Then why don't you just use Apple?

    > Linux is all about .... who knows.

    OSS/FSS is about freedom of software.

    > If you come from a WINDOWS world,
    > the TERMINAL is considered a step
    > back in time.

    Really? Then why is the Run command in the "Start" menu? Why does the
    registry have an editor? WHy are so many Windows problems solved by
    editing the registry?

    > The user community wants to USE LINUX, not command line.

    The user community can use Linux based distros with very little, if any
    command line.

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    Rick writes:

    > On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:04:13 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >> There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off. Linux is still
    >> about geeks. Geeks say things like:
    >>
    >> -Read the manual.

    > You should always learn how to use your tools.
    >
    >> -Works on my machine.

    > Many times it does work on their machines.

    Immaterial. Yet again, you miss the point.

    Consider someone sat at the side of a highway because their car has
    broken down. It would not be particularly helpful to hear "Mine works"
    when you ring up for help.

  4. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:56:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Rick writes:
    >
    >> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:04:13 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off. Linux is still
    >>> about geeks. Geeks say things like:
    >>>
    >>> -Read the manual.

    >> You should always learn how to use your tools.
    >>
    >>> -Works on my machine.

    >> Many times it does work on their machines.

    > Immaterial. Yet again, you miss the point.

    Many times it does work on their machines.

    > Consider someone sat at the side of a highway because their car has
    > broken down. It would not be particularly helpful to hear "Mine works"
    > when you ring up for help.

    Then maybe the person should choose a different source of help.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    Hadron wrote:

    > Immaterial. Yet again, you miss the point.
    >
    > Consider someone sat at the side of a highway because their car has
    > broken down. It would not be particularly helpful to hear "Mine works"
    > when you ring up for help.

    Quit defending the troll, Quack. You fool no one.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....True Multitasking = 3 PCs and a chair with wheels!

    Good to the last supper

  6. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    >Quack snotted:
    >>
    >> Yet again, you miss the point.

    Yet again, you're a trolling fsckwit.

    Problems googled-for and posted by trolls are not valid complaints. One
    could do the same to "prove" that Windows has problems. Computers and
    their users have problems. It's not news. Real people with real
    problems can easily find help and support. Linux is not right for
    everyone. You're a piece of ****.

  7. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Immaterial. Yet again, you miss the point.
    >>
    >> Consider someone sat at the side of a highway because their car has
    >> broken down. It would not be particularly helpful to hear "Mine works"
    >> when you ring up for help.

    > Quit defending the troll, Quack. You fool no one.

    Hey, if you're anti-Linux, Quack's your buddy. You're one of the "honest
    ones" who realizes that "Linux isn't perfect".

  8. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    chrisv wrote:

    > Hey, if you're anti-Linux, Quack's your buddy. You're one of the "honest
    > ones" who realizes that "Linux isn't perfect".

    No, it isn't perfect by any means. What OS is? But it does what I need it to
    do, and does it well.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Florida: when we say, "DUCK!", we don't mean Donald.

    Good to the last supper

  9. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 07:04:13 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off.
    > Linux is still about geeks. Geeks say things like:
    >
    > -Read the manual.
    > -Works on my machine.
    > -You are too stupid.
    >
    > It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's,
    > are back.
    >
    > Apple is all about the USER EXPERIENCE.
    > Linux is all about .... who knows.
    >
    > If you come from a WINDOWS world,
    > the TERMINAL is considered a step
    > back in time.
    >
    > The user community wants to USE LINUX,
    > not command line.

    Linux has come a long way and assuming your hardware is supported most of
    the basic things work pretty much like they do with Windows.

    The problem is, Linux is NOT Windows and it will never be Windows unless
    some brainiac figures out how to fully and completely run every single
    Windows application seamlessly under Linux just as easily as can be done
    with Windows.

    The problem with Linux is that while it is advancing and improving, the
    computing experience for the average person is changing rapidly from a "how
    does it work" experience to a "I just want it to work because I don't have
    the time to tinker" experience.

    We have become a society that is overloaded with gadgetry, extra work at
    home due to cell phones, high speed cable connections etc.

    IOW back in the 60's you went to work and came home and relaxed unless you
    had a deadline to meet etc. For the most part work was separated from home.

    Today, because of this gadgetry the majority of professionals are literally
    working 24x7.

    Getting back to Linux, what turns people off the most is that Linux is not
    Windows.

    It sounds foolish but that's really what it is.

    People have shelves full of software that they know how to use, that their
    friends, co-workers etc are using and that they need to perform their job.

    They just don't have the time, nor the inclination to learn Linux and when
    they first experience Linux they find out that it's not as polished as
    Windows is.
    Help systems suck for example.

    Then there is the application factor and Linux applications are for the
    most part crude compared to Windows applications.

    People want to plug their cell phone/PDA/GPS/etc in and be able to interact
    with it from their computers.
    They don't want worry about mounting devices, looking in directories for
    files etc.
    They want to use the software that came with the device and be done with
    it.
    IOW the object is to sync your calendar, not play around with a file
    system.

    Linux is just not a good alternative for the desktop unless it's for a
    system that needs to do the very basics and not have to interact with
    gadgetry and a persons workplace/job.

    IOW grandma's email/browsing/Internet system.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 07:04:13 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off. Linux is still
    > about geeks. Geeks say things like:

    And back into the stupid box you go!

    *plonk*

  11. Re: It is simple why PISTA does not TAKE OFF

    Micoshaft fraudster and asstroturfer Psyc Geek (aka TAB the idiot sock)
    wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micosahft Corporation:

    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off.

    You are out of date. Linux has taken off. PISTA is faltering.
    There are many $100 million+ companies on the scene using Linux.
    Linux now installs 1 million+ Linux Desktops per week.
    Embedded Linux sells 3 million+ embedded Linux gadgets PER DAY.

  12. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On 2008-07-06, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off.

    Huh? Have you used Google?

    > Linux is still about geeks. Geeks say things like:

    > -Read the manual.

    Yep...

    > -Works on my machine.

    Yep...

    > -You are too stupid.

    Yep...

    > It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's,
    > are back.

    Probably...

    > Apple is all about the USER EXPERIENCE.

    Rather than getting the work done...

    > Linux is all about .... who knows.

    Well, you'll never get to find out.
    Because:

    a) You won't read a manual.

    b) You are too stupid.

    > If you come from a WINDOWS world,
    > the TERMINAL is considered a step
    > back in time.

    I'm sure the "WINDOWS world" knows all about steps "back in time".

    > The user community wants to USE LINUX,

    The "user community" couldn't give a flying **** about Linux. Mostly,
    they don't even know what an operating system kernel is... let alone
    that they could install a different OS on the machine they bought from
    the local "Best Buy" Computer store....

    > not command line.

    Don't like the command line? Here's a tip:

    Don't use it...

    There ya go... good advice.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  13. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    chrisv wrote:
    >> Quack snotted:
    >>>
    >>> Yet again, you miss the point.

    > Yet again, you're a trolling fsckwit.
    >
    > Problems googled-for and posted by trolls are not valid complaints.

    So skip Google and go to the forums and bug sites.

    > One could do the same to "prove" that Windows has problems.
    > Computers and their users have problems. It's not news.

    Linux just works

    > Real people with real problems can easily find help and support.

    Over in Ubuntu la-la land they have at least a year of random, unexplained
    freezing [across 3 versions] they still can't deal with. Those real people
    with that real problem aren't finding help and support. They're spinning
    their wheels, shuffling distros, moving back to XP, disabling basic features
    like ACPI, etc

    > Linux is not right for everyone.

    "Linux is not right for anyone" is much closer to the truth.

    > You're a piece of ****.

    That would be you, frothing child.

  14. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message

    > It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's,
    > are back.

    Well, the secret is that they never left. They converted to Unix and that
    is the limit for their tolerance.

  15. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, if you're anti-Linux, Quack's your buddy. You're one of the "honest
    >> ones" who realizes that "Linux isn't perfect".

    > No, it isn't perfect by any means. What OS is?

    None are, of course, and there's no one who would claim otherwise.

    Yet the trolling assholes seem to think that we "miss the point" on this
    issue. Fsckwits like Quack defend the continued posting of googled-for
    problems, lest we go unaware of the "imperfections".

    > But it does what I need it to do, and does it well.

  16. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    chrisv writes:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >
    >> chrisv wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey, if you're anti-Linux, Quack's your buddy. You're one of the "honest
    >>> ones" who realizes that "Linux isn't perfect".

    >> No, it isn't perfect by any means. What OS is?

    None. I don't believe I, or anyone else you consider a "troll, has
    claimed that. There have been plenty of Liars, like you, who claims
    "Linux just works".

    But after the failures in Vienna and Munich, maybe you are now softening
    your stance and hoping to weasel out?

    > None are, of course, and there's no one who would claim otherwise.
    >
    > Yet the trolling assholes seem to think that we "miss the point" on this
    > issue. Fsckwits like Quack defend the continued posting of googled-for
    > problems, lest we go unaware of the "imperfections".

    Please find me defending any Google searches to diss Linux.

    >> But it does what I need it to do, and does it well.

    --
    "Let the body stay buried wherever he put it, maybe it'll get
    found some day, maybe not. "

  17. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 16:30:26 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > chrisv writes:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >>> No, it isn't perfect by any means. What OS is?

    > None. I don't believe I, or anyone else you consider a "troll, has
    > claimed that. There have been plenty of Liars, like you, who claims
    > "Linux just works".
    >
    > But after the failures in Vienna and Munich, maybe you are now softening
    > your stance and hoping to weasel out?

    When did Munich abandon the Linux/OSS implementation?

    --
    Rick

  18. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:31:05 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

    > "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote in message
    >>
    >> It is almost like the mainframe geeks of the 70's,
    >> are back.
    >>

    > Well, the secret is that they never left. They converted to Unix and that
    > is the limit for their tolerance.

    They've also moved to Bangalore....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  19. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    "Gregory Shearman" stated in post
    slrng754sr.8lq.ZekeGregory@netscape.net on 7/7/08 3:07 PM:

    >> This seems true. None of my Windows using friends (who are ordinary
    >> folks who use MS Windows) gives a hoot about the kinds of "freedoms"
    >> that are touted by RMS, much to my dismay. They're concerned about
    >> things like horse-back riding, their next cigarette, American Idol,
    >> going to work, getting ready to go to work, four-wheeling, wrestling,
    >> Brooks & Dunn, Reba, gossip, their next meal, their next sexual
    >> encounter, MySpace, Yahoo IM, etc., etc.

    > Of course they are, as are all of my friends.... I'm a geek, therefore
    > I'm interested in geek operating systems like Linux. That doesn't mean
    > that my friends couldn't benefit from Linux, it's just that they aren't
    > interested and probably never would be.... and that's fine by me.

    Sounds like you are a reasonable Linux user. No argument with you using it
    as you see fit... you are not demeaning others for their choices nor trying
    to pretend you are better for using Linux.

    "Uh... ask me after we ship the next version of Windows [laughs] then I'll
    be more open to give you a blunt answer." - Bill Gates

  20. Re: It is simple why linux does not TAKE OFF

    On 2008-07-06, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    > There is a very simple reason Linux does not take off.
    > Linux is still about geeks. Geeks say things like:
    >
    > -Read the manual.
    > -Works on my machine.
    > -You are too stupid.

    You forgot this one:

    -Do it like you would with any other GUI app since the dawn of time.

    [deletia]

    --
    NO! There are no CODICILES of Fight Club! |||
    / | \

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast