[News] Deserving Linux and Free Software - Linux

  1. [News] Deserving Linux and Free Software

  2. Re: [News] Deserving Linux and Free Software

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:00:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > What You Deserve

    Nobody *deserves* Linux anymore than a person deserves getting a root
    canal.
    Some people like pain just like some people like wasting their time trying
    to make Linux slopware work.

    To each his own.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Deserving Linux and Free Software

    Same can be said about Windows or Mac OS X. Linux works though, just not for
    the less intelligible (it's a pain though, I agree). All these old fashion
    architectures are a pain, we need something new, starting with a truly
    hardware abstract kernel (which means running on a virtual cpu), something
    like elate from the tao group. This would also mean that software would
    start to define hardware, which is the way things should be anyway. I had
    good hopes for MS when they started talking minwin, regrettably they seem to
    have abandoned this particular idea and are going for a Vista Part Deux.

    "Moshe Goldfarb." schreef in bericht
    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:00:24 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> What You Deserve

    > Nobody *deserves* Linux anymore than a person deserves getting a root
    > canal.
    > Some people like pain just like some people like wasting their time trying
    > to make Linux slopware work.
    >
    > To each his own.
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: [News] Deserving Linux and Free Software

    On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:21:47 +0200, narcan wrote:

    > Same can be said about Windows or Mac OS X. Linux works though, just not for
    > the less intelligible (it's a pain though, I agree). All these old fashion
    > architectures are a pain, we need something new, starting with a truly
    > hardware abstract kernel (which means running on a virtual cpu), something
    > like elate from the tao group. This would also mean that software would
    > start to define hardware, which is the way things should be anyway. I had
    > good hopes for MS when they started talking minwin, regrettably they seem to
    > have abandoned this particular idea and are going for a Vista Part Deux.

    Interesting POV.

    I think to some degree the software is defining the hardware these days.
    Look at Windows or Linux and you can see each new major version requires
    more hardware horsepower to run.
    Albeit this is less so with Linux IMHO.

    I feel OSX coupled with the Mac is really a true end user based system
    because it just works. Windows XP is close but requires a little more care
    and feeding, mostly in terms of security, and Linux is at the bottom
    because the typical desktop user will be frustrated trying to make it work
    with common gadgets like GPS, PDA, cell phones etc.

    Vista is just a train wreck IMHO.
    Microsoft will eventually iron out the bugs but currently my advice is to
    stick with XP.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: