[News] Gentoo Linux the Best Option to Some - Linux

  1. [News] Gentoo Linux the Best Option to Some

    Move over Mandriva, I think I’m in love!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well, up until now I have been really liking 2 flavors of Linux Mandriva and
    | Ubuntu. Mandriva because I have found it to be the most stable version I have
    | found yet, and Ubuntu because of bleeding edge aps, and the balls to take on
    | some very impressive work (bringing Linux together, and making it user
    | friendly)
    |
    | But… I think I have stumbled upon something amazing. I will be installing
    | this next week, and experimenting to let you know how it goes. I have
    | discovered Gentoo.
    `----

    http://blog.taggedzi.com/?p=28

    Recent:

    Gentoo (or Finding Linux Nirvana)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Believe me, the end result when you get something right is worth it!
    `----

    http://pc-eye.blogspot.com/2008/07/g...x-nirvana.html

    Does Gentoo make sense?

    | Contrast it with installing binary packages. You can never be sure that you
    | are not missing a library or if they have a conflicting version.
    | Conceptually, Gentoo vs. Ubuntu is analogous to compiled and statically typed
    | languages, e.g. C++ or Java, versus interpreted and dynamically typed
    | languages, e.g. Python or Ruby.
    |
    | Interpreted and dynamically typed languages enjoy a shorter development cycle
    | but are somewhat more brittle whereas compiled and statically typed languages
    | have a slower development cycle but are often deemed more reliable.
    `----

    http://ceki.blogspot.com/2008/06/doe...ake-sense.html

    Why I Use Gentoo?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So, I have been asked this question many times. And of course the assumption
    | is that I am some sort of a masochist who enjoys wasting time on compiling
    | packages. However, that is not entirely true. There are some other reasons
    | why, after trying Ubuntu (started linux with it), Gentoo and then Arch I
    | settled on Gentoo.
    `----

    http://rahulthewall.wordpress.com/20...-i-use-gentoo/

  2. Re: [News] Gentoo Linux the Best Option to Some

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:53:56 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Move over Mandriva, I think Im in love!

    Better tell Mark Kent so he can file for divorce....

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....1abd2d6d85fdb6

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: