[News] Ubuntu for UMPCs Runs on OLPC - Linux

  1. [News] Ubuntu for UMPCs Runs on OLPC

    Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the OLPC XO

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu Netbook Remix is a slick new user interface for Ubuntu on
    | sub-notebooks like the Asus eeePC and the OLPC XO. Installing Netbook Remix
    | on the XO is not for the faint of heart, but if you're looking to get some
    | extra geek points then strap in: it's going to be a long ride.
    `----

    http://icrontic.com/articles/ubuntu_net_remix_olpcxo

    Recent:

    Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
    | open source rival
    |
    | Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
    | around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
    | sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
    | Press.
    `----

    http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/2993...ed-round-Linux

    A look at Ubuntu Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From an educational perspective, an Ubuntu-powered netbook might be a great
    | choice for students. These machines are typically quite low priced, making it
    | much easier for people to be able to own one themselves. Ubuntu is a well
    | supported platform, with thousands of items of software, including Moodle,
    | which could be used to construct an offline learning environment if someone
    | did not have constant access to the Internet. It is regularly updated with
    | new features (but you can also still with a long term stable version if you
    | want) keeping it in tune with today's world, unlike the ageing Windows XP
    | which was brought out years before most people even had broadband, never mind
    | a netbook.
    `----

    http://www.greenhughes.com/content/a...-netbook-remix

    Ubuntu gets the Remix right

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shuttleworth's company Canonical is behind the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
    | recently announced what it called a Ubuntu Notebook Remix which could be used
    | on certain portable internet-centric devices. In the case of Ubuntu, this is
    | aimed at devices which are built around Intel's Atom procesor. This, of
    | course, is trying to follow in the footsteps of the eeePC which has enjoyed
    | success beyond anybody's wildest dreams.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18737/1090/

    Ubuntu Netbook Remix - Linux's great white hope?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu Netbook Remix is a version on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Herron) that's
    | optimised for devices with small screens - Netbook is one of several terms
    | kicking around to describe small, low-powered PCs.
    `----

    http://blogs.smh.com.au/gadgetsonthe...linuxs_gr.html

    Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Canonical is positioning itself to take the lead on software in the
    | subnotebook market, but a big piece of the puzzle is still absent: customers.
    | Although Canonical is working closely with Intel on reference designs, there
    | is no word yet about potential commercial adopters for the Netbook Remix. No
    | major OEMs have revealed plans to use it yet and Canonical is still actively
    | looking for new partners in the hardware space. Regardless of whether it gets
    | picked up by hardware makers like Asus, it is sure to be a big hit with
    | Ubuntu's fans. The fact that so many users are installing the regular desktop
    | version of Ubuntu on their Eee laptops is strong indication that there is
    | demand for Ubuntu on subnotebooks.
    `----

    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ook-remix.html
    http://tinyurl.com/3laf8b

    The Ultimate Ultraportable?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As I've noted a number of times, I think the appearance of the ultraportable
    | platform will provide a huge boost for GNU/Linux among ordinary users, and
    | prove to be a watershed in the history of open source. The combination of
    | ultraportable form factor with Ubuntu's ease-of-use will only magnify that
    | effect. And if the rumours about Dell's new mini Inspiron running Ubuntu
    | (presumably the Netbook Remix) prove correct, we could be witnessing the
    | birth of the ultimate ultraportable.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=870&blogid=14

  2. Re: [News] Ubuntu for UMPCs Runs on OLPC

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 20:52:25 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the OLPC XO

    Does this version freeze up like the other versions of Ubuntu?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu for UMPCs Runs on OLPC

    In article <1l2ogqctsg3yw.t59r0h46kxdt$.dlg@40tude.net>,
    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >Does this version freeze up like the other versions of Ubuntu?

    No, but it blue screens like Microsoft Windows. The developers
    decided that that's what accounts for their competition's popularity.

+ Reply to Thread