Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games - Linux ; On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 02:28:15 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote: > Now, let's see how things are over at the commercial side. First up, the > 1600lb IT gorilla, the Bully of the Block, the "We'll set our own > ...

  1. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 02:28:15 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Now, let's see how things are over at the commercial side. First up, the
    > 1600lb IT gorilla, the Bully of the Block, the "We'll set our own
    > standards, thank you very much!" ever open-standard-avoiding moloch,
    > MICROSOFT:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx - Result: Failed validation, 178
    > Errors
    >
    > Oh yes, people, oh yes! They stay in character! "No Forced Standards For
    > Us!", is what this says! And with a result like this, it's an absolute
    > miracle that their Web page is rendered in an intelligible manner at all!
    > Yup, you've read it right: One hundred and seventy-eight errors. Not just
    > four, or eight, or perhaps a few dozen. Nope, close to two hundred errors
    > in just one lousy page! Well done, that ape!

    178 is not that many considering many of them are the same error, just
    repeated. For example, unencoded &'s, and some unclosed tags. Not an
    excuse, of course, but it's not as bad as you make out. It's very easy to
    get thousands, and many open source sites throw that many.

    Odd that you forgot to mention this one:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...%2Fwww.msn.com

    "This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!"

    Or this one:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....microsoft.com

    "Failed validation, 7 Errors"

    Failed, but better than several that you listed.

    > http://www.yahoo.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 34 Errors
    >
    > Interesting result: only 34 errors, on a much more "filled" page than
    > Google's bare stretch with 65 errors ... Still, it's far worse than the Web
    > sites of most OSS outfits.

    MSN has a similar large amount of layout, but validates just fine.

    > It seems that the clear winners are the OSS people from Debian and Fedora,
    > together with the more commercially oriented big-wigs from IBM -- although
    > IBM does a lot for and with the OSS community.

    What about MSN?

    Oh, wait, that would mean giving Microsoft credit for something, we can't
    have that, now can we?

  2. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    On 2008-07-05, Erik Funkenbusch claimed:

    > Oh, wait, that would mean giving Microsoft credit for something, we can't
    > have that, now can we?

    If you insist.

    --
    Dogs crawl under fences. Software crawls under Windows.