Training Required With Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Training Required With Linux - Linux ; I am here still GIMPing. And wanted to crop the left side of a jpg. Usually, there is a crop option someplace, instead of a scale. Well, this is not intuitive. The tool has a lot. There problem is that ...

  1. Training Required With Linux

    I am here still GIMPing. And wanted to crop the left side
    of a jpg. Usually, there is a crop option someplace, instead
    of a scale. Well, this is not intuitive.

    The tool has a lot. There problem is that I don't think
    users are going to be EASILY converted from Microsoft
    to Linux. The learning curve is high. Lots of training
    will be required. That is the problem.

    For a Windows to Linux coversion to work,
    I am thinking the linux programs
    will have to work like WINDOWS programs, or if not, at
    least be VERY EASY to use and extremely intuitive.

    Except for the programs that are on Windows, like
    FireFox, there is going to be a HUGE TRIANING CURVE.

    And just look at how many people say; read the manual.
    Like, users are going to do that?

  2. Re: Training Required With Linux

    "Psyc Geek (TAB)" wrote:
    > I am here still GIMPing. And wanted to crop the left side
    > of a jpg. Usually, there is a crop option someplace, instead
    > of a scale. Well, this is not intuitive.

    Rectangle select. image. crop to selection.

    > The tool has a lot. There problem is that I don't think
    > users are going to be EASILY converted from Microsoft
    > to Linux. The learning curve is high. Lots of training
    > will be required. That is the problem.

    GIMP works on windows too.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  3. Re: Training Required With Linux

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > The tool has a lot. There problem is that I don't think users
    > are going to be EASILY converted from Microsoft to Linux. The
    > learning curve is high. Lots of training will be required.
    > That is the problem.

    Bull. Desktop application performance is not dependent upon the
    OS but upon the application developer's software writing ability.

    --
    HPT

  4. Re: Training Required With Linux

    Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > There problem is that I don't think
    > users are going to be EASILY converted from Microsoft
    > to Linux.

    Why not? Millions of them were originally converted from IBM to Windows.

    Remember 'No-one got fired for choosing IBM'?

    Sounds like 'People Prefer Windows'.

    Just another corporate dinosaur whose days are coming to an end ...

  5. Re: Training Required With Linux

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:43:01 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:

    > I am here still GIMPing. And wanted to crop the left side of a jpg.
    > Usually, there is a crop option someplace, instead of a scale. Well,
    > this is not intuitive.

    Very little software is truly intuitive.

    > The tool has a lot.

    The tool has a lot of what?

    > There problem is that I don't think users are going
    > to be EASILY converted from Microsoft to Linux. The learning curve is
    > high. Lots of training will be required. That is the problem.

    The learning curve is not high. The problem is the unlearning of one
    system and then learning another.

    > For a Windows to Linux coversion to work,
    > I am thinking the linux programs
    > will have to work like WINDOWS programs, or if not, at least be VERY
    > EASY to use and extremely intuitive.

    Again, very little software is truly intuitive.

    > Except for the programs that are on Windows, like FireFox, there is
    > going to be a HUGE TRIANING CURVE.

    No. Ya think. There is a lot of unlearning and re-learning that has to be
    done with OS X. Complain about that.

    > And just look at how many people say; read the manual. Like, users are
    > going to do that?

    They will if they want to learn how to use the tools. Users weren't born
    knowing how to use Windows and CSS. They had to learn.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Training Required With Linux

    "Rick" stated in post
    HtOdnX2-hsFyU_LVnZ2dnUVZ_jqdnZ2d@supernews.com on 7/5/08 12:43 PM:

    > On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:43:01 -0700, Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >> I am here still GIMPing. And wanted to crop the left side of a jpg.
    >> Usually, there is a crop option someplace, instead of a scale. Well,
    >> this is not intuitive.

    > Very little software is truly intuitive.

    But some is more than others... and when you have a consistent UI from one
    app to another you help make "new" software be intuitive.

    >> The tool has a lot.

    > The tool has a lot of what?
    >
    >> There problem is that I don't think users are going
    >> to be EASILY converted from Microsoft to Linux. The learning curve is
    >> high. Lots of training will be required. That is the problem.

    > The learning curve is not high. The problem is the unlearning of one
    > system and then learning another.

    Which, sadly, you have to do to some extent just moving from one application
    to another in any desktop Linux distro.

    >> For a Windows to Linux coversion to work,
    >> I am thinking the linux programs
    >> will have to work like WINDOWS programs, or if not, at least be VERY
    >> EASY to use and extremely intuitive.

    > Again, very little software is truly intuitive.

    Can you give an example of one you think is?

    >> Except for the programs that are on Windows, like FireFox, there is
    >> going to be a HUGE TRIANING CURVE.

    > No. Ya think. There is a lot of unlearning and re-learning that has to be
    > done with OS X. Complain about that.

    Why even bring up OS X? Now that you did, though, I will note that it has
    perhaps the most consistent UI ever presented to a user of any such complex
    system... and that pays of handsomely for the user.

    >> And just look at how many people say; read the manual. Like, users are
    >> going to do that?

    > They will if they want to learn how to use the tools. Users weren't born
    > knowing how to use Windows and CSS. They had to learn.

    Not a very deep analysis... but true!

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  7. Re: Training Required With Linux

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:17:03 GMT, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Psyc Geek (TAB) wrote:
    >
    >> There problem is that I don't think
    >> users are going to be EASILY converted from Microsoft
    >> to Linux.

    > Why not? Millions of them were originally converted from IBM to Windows.

    See the Munich Migration for details.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: