[News] New Stable Linux Released - Linux

  1. [News] New Stable Linux Released

    Linux 2.6.25.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We (the -stable team) are announcing the release of the 2.6.25.10
    | kernel.
    `----

    http://lwn.net/Articles/288474/

    Related:

    Those Dang DPCs Clogging the MMCSS [or "Why Vista Scheduling is Broken"]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Critical optimizations such as zero-copy aside, there is no excusable reason
    | why processing IP packets should so damagingly affect the system.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Putting aside the larger problem for the moment, there are several issues
    | with this solution. It prioritizes multimedia playback over networking
    | performance, which, as the resulting clamor has shown, is not everyone's
    | personal policy preference. It is almost assuredly a layering violation. It
    | picks a fixed and hard-coded packet limit (ten per millisecond), which won't
    | scale across different hardware—think significantly faster processors or
    | substantially slower networking drivers. It ignores the commonality of GigE.
    | And, finally, the solution is complicated, as the convoluted description and
    | resulting bugs in the implementation demonstrate.
    `----

    http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/0...ry-simple.html

    Can Microsoft ever stop kernel tampering in Vista?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I was just going through the slides from Joanna Rutkowska’s Black Hat talk
    | (127-page .ppt file) and discovered that there’s another unpatched driver
    | flaw that exposes Windows Vista to kernel tampering. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=447

    Dutch Consumer Association declares war on Vista

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200..._declares_war/

    Microsoft replaces Vista kernel in SP1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Well the answer is yes it has, and presumably the main reason for Microsoft’s
    | silence on the subject is that as they’re keen to promote the improvements
    | and enhancements to Vista, rather than placing emphasis on a kernel upgrade,
    | which some people might see as a risk of newly-introduced instability. *
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/7960/microsoft_rep..._kernel_in_SP1

    Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
    | application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
    | advertising as 'part of the OS.' *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] New Stable Linux Released

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 09:46:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Those Dang DPCs Clogging the MMCSS [or "Why Vista Scheduling is Broken"]

    Why I am feeding the SPAMMER Roy Schestowitz is beyond me, but, should any
    of you "Windows programmers by day" like to check DPCLatency etc for
    yourself, here is a nice utility that the professional audio/video people
    use to track down problems like this.

    Check it out:

    http://www.thesycon.de/eng/free_download.shtml

    --