Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games - Linux ; Richard Rasker writes: > Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the The Summer Olympic > W3C Validator Games! In our never-ending search for standards-compliant Web > sites, tonight we have a line-up of a number of The Good, ...

  1. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the The Summer Olympic
    > W3C Validator Games! In our never-ending search for standards-compliant Web
    > sites, tonight we have a line-up of a number of The Good, The Bad, and the
    > Horrible. This time, we will target those who should know about
    > standards-compliant sites: several well-known IT businesses.
    >

    > The rules of the game are simple: a particular IT-outfit's home or most
    > prominent site (e.g. www.google.com) is visited, and the actual resulting
    > Web URL is fed into W3C's validation service, without tweaking or tuning.
    > Then it's a simple matter of count-the-errors.
    >

    > First, let's look how things are in the OSS corner, and start out with some
    > of the world's leading Linux makers:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >
    > Ooh, what a shame! So close, but just not perfect! In all honesty, I thought
    > these guys would have got a 100% score -- but that wasn't to be. But over
    > to our desktop friends from Ubuntu are doing:
    >
    > http://www.ubuntu.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >
    > Well, it seems this game isn't all that easy to win -- again, a
    > not-quite-perfet score! Well, perhaps Debian gets away clean -- I have high
    > expectations:
    >
    > http://www.debian.org/ - Result: Passed validation
    >
    > And yes, it does! It looks like we already have a winner! And to be honest,
    > I didn't expect anything else from our teacher's favourite Debian. But
    > perhaps there are others who can equal this perfect score ...

    Already a winner? And yet the ones that passed later are not?

    *snip more Rasker dream world nonsense*

  2. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    Hadron wrote:

    > Richard Rasker writes:
    >
    >> Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the The Summer Olympic
    >> W3C Validator Games! In our never-ending search for standards-compliant
    >> Web sites, tonight we have a line-up of a number of The Good, The Bad,
    >> and the Horrible. This time, we will target those who should know about
    >> standards-compliant sites: several well-known IT businesses.
    >>

    >> The rules of the game are simple: a particular IT-outfit's home or most
    >> prominent site (e.g. www.google.com) is visited, and the actual resulting
    >> Web URL is fed into W3C's validation service, without tweaking or tuning.
    >> Then it's a simple matter of count-the-errors.
    >>

    >> First, let's look how things are in the OSS corner, and start out with
    >> some of the world's leading Linux makers:
    >>
    >> http://www.redhat.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >>
    >> Ooh, what a shame! So close, but just not perfect! In all honesty, I
    >> thought these guys would have got a 100% score -- but that wasn't to be.
    >> But over to our desktop friends from Ubuntu are doing:
    >>
    >> http://www.ubuntu.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >>
    >> Well, it seems this game isn't all that easy to win -- again, a
    >> not-quite-perfet score! Well, perhaps Debian gets away clean -- I have
    >> high expectations:
    >>
    >> http://www.debian.org/ - Result: Passed validation
    >>
    >> And yes, it does! It looks like we already have a winner! And to be
    >> honest, I didn't expect anything else from our teacher's favourite
    >> Debian. But perhaps there are others who can equal this perfect score ...

    > Already a winner? And yet the ones that passed later are not?

    Sure, all those with zero errors are winners:

    "It seems that the clear winners are the OSS people from Debian and Fedora,
    together with the more commercially oriented big-wigs from IBM"

    Weird though, I seem to have left out Novell. Now why would that be?

    > *snip more Rasker dream world nonsense*

    Now that you say it, I realize you must be right. Microsoft creates the
    Greatest Web Sites in the world, and praise be upon Microsoft Internet
    Explorer for rendering these masterpieces of Web Creation Art in the best
    possible manner on our very screens. Hallelujah!

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  3. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    On 2008-07-05, Richard Rasker wrote:

    >> Already a winner? And yet the ones that passed later are not?

    > Sure, all those with zero errors are winners:

    You forgot Gentoo!

    http://www.gentoo.org/

    Passed validation! No errors...

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  4. Re: The Summer Olympic W3C Validator Games

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 03:13:46 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Richard Rasker writes:
    >>
    >>> Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the The Summer
    >>> Olympic W3C Validator Games! In our never-ending search for
    >>> standards-compliant Web sites, tonight we have a line-up of a number of
    >>> The Good, The Bad, and the Horrible. This time, we will target those
    >>> who should know about standards-compliant sites: several well-known IT
    >>> businesses.
    >>>

    >>> The rules of the game are simple: a particular IT-outfit's home or most
    >>> prominent site (e.g. www.google.com) is visited, and the actual
    >>> resulting Web URL is fed into W3C's validation service, without
    >>> tweaking or tuning. Then it's a simple matter of count-the-errors.
    >>>

    >>> First, let's look how things are in the OSS corner, and start out with
    >>> some of the world's leading Linux makers:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.redhat.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >>>
    >>> Ooh, what a shame! So close, but just not perfect! In all honesty, I
    >>> thought these guys would have got a 100% score -- but that wasn't to
    >>> be. But over to our desktop friends from Ubuntu are doing:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.ubuntu.com/ - Result: Failed validation, 4 Errors
    >>>
    >>> Well, it seems this game isn't all that easy to win -- again, a
    >>> not-quite-perfet score! Well, perhaps Debian gets away clean -- I have
    >>> high expectations:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.debian.org/ - Result: Passed validation
    >>>
    >>> And yes, it does! It looks like we already have a winner! And to be
    >>> honest, I didn't expect anything else from our teacher's favourite
    >>> Debian. But perhaps there are others who can equal this perfect score

    >> Already a winner? And yet the ones that passed later are not?

    > Sure, all those with zero errors are winners:
    >
    > "It seems that the clear winners are the OSS people from Debian and
    > Fedora,
    > together with the more commercially oriented big-wigs from IBM"
    >
    > Weird though, I seem to have left out Novell. Now why would that be?
    >
    >> *snip more Rasker dream world nonsense*

    > Now that you say it, I realize you must be right. Microsoft creates the
    > Greatest Web Sites in the world, and praise be upon Microsoft Internet
    > Explorer for rendering these masterpieces of Web Creation Art in the best
    > possible manner on our very screens. Hallelujah!

    Oh, yes! With 178 failed validation errors, M$ *must* have the best
    standards-compliant websites as they score one of the
    highest....erm.....hang on...who's standards are M$ working to again?

    --
    The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
    turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.

+ Reply to Thread