[News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for Free Software - Linux

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for Free Software

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Good-bye Windows XP, Hello Open Source?

    If people choose Windows, then why don't MS prove it by releasing XP as Open
    Source - for free - now that its life has expired?

    Lots of people might prefer it ...

    Or would they? Perhaps MS are too scared to find out.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for FreeSoftware

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 17:42:37 +0000, Robin T Cox wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Good-bye Windows XP, Hello Open Source?

    > If people choose Windows, then why don't MS prove it by releasing XP as
    > Open Source - for free - now that its life has expired?
    >
    > Lots of people might prefer it ...
    >
    > Or would they? Perhaps MS are too scared to find out.

    I know... Microsoft could start with an OSS system, like.. oh, I don't
    know... maybe one of the BSDs and put a proprietary layer on top. Then
    they would have thousands/millions of people helping to write their OS,
    and they could concentrate on a much smaller part of the system...

    That would be so innovat.... Oh. Hmmm .. .nevermind.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for Free Software

    Rick wrote:

    > I know... Microsoft could start with an OSS system, like.. oh, I
    > don't know... maybe one of the BSDs and put a proprietary layer on
    > top.

    You're too late - Rex "Kingmaker" Ballard already spewed that stupid
    speculation:

    "Microsoft has hinted that they are doing a major rework of the kernel,
    which will probably be based on the BSD kernel, and will probably be
    released with Vista."

    > Then they would have thousands/millions of people helping to
    > write their OS, and they could concentrate on a much smaller part of
    > the system...

    Why would MS commit corporate ruin? Look at the slopware thousands/millions
    of Linux/OSS developers turn out.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for FreeSoftware

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:36:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> I know... Microsoft could start with an OSS system, like.. oh, I don't
    >> know... maybe one of the BSDs and put a proprietary layer on top.

    > You're too late - Rex "Kingmaker" Ballard already spewed that stupid
    > speculation:
    >
    > "Microsoft has hinted that they are doing a major rework of the kernel,
    > which will probably be based on the BSD kernel, and will probably be
    > released with Vista."
    >

    >> Then they would have thousands/millions of people helping to write
    >> their OS, and they could concentrate on a much smaller part of the
    >> system...

    > Why would MS commit corporate ruin? Look at the slopware
    > thousands/millions of Linux/OSS developers turn out.

    Look at the lying POS that is DFS....

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for FreeSoftware

    "Rick" stated in post
    2-idnSbY8LU8OvPVnZ2dnUVZ_jCdnZ2d@supernews.com on 7/4/08 3:43 PM:

    > On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 18:36:45 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know... Microsoft could start with an OSS system, like.. oh, I don't
    >>> know... maybe one of the BSDs and put a proprietary layer on top.

    >> You're too late - Rex "Kingmaker" Ballard already spewed that stupid
    >> speculation:
    >>
    >> "Microsoft has hinted that they are doing a major rework of the kernel,
    >> which will probably be based on the BSD kernel, and will probably be
    >> released with Vista."
    >>

    >>> Then they would have thousands/millions of people helping to write
    >>> their OS, and they could concentrate on a much smaller part of the
    >>> system...

    >> Why would MS commit corporate ruin? Look at the slopware
    >> thousands/millions of Linux/OSS developers turn out.

    > Look at the lying POS that is DFS....

    That is not nice!

    --
    Teachers open the door but you must walk through it yourself.

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for Free Software

    "DFS" writes:

    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> I know... Microsoft could start with an OSS system, like.. oh, I
    >> don't know... maybe one of the BSDs and put a proprietary layer on
    >> top.

    > You're too late - Rex "Kingmaker" Ballard already spewed that stupid
    > speculation:

    Hats off to DFS!

    I never tire of the "Kingmaker". Brilliant satire!

  8. Re: [News] [Rival] XP's Retirement Has Windows Abandoned for Free Software

+ Reply to Thread