going ubuntu linux .... success and problems - Linux

This is a discussion on going ubuntu linux .... success and problems - Linux ; i been running just ubuntu for a week now solid. no windows. :: PROBLEMS i can't make my car payment at www.toyotafinancial.com several html sites i have designed have images moved incorrectly when viewed in linux making it hard to ...

  1. going ubuntu linux .... success and problems

    i been running just ubuntu for a week now solid.
    no windows.

    :: PROBLEMS

    i can't make my car payment at
    www.toyotafinancial.com

    several html sites i have designed have
    images moved incorrectly when viewed in linux
    making it hard to make sites for ie people
    (not sure if css issue yet, but this not fixed is a
    linux killer. i like to eat.

    one openoffice writer table did not come over correctly
    when saved as word 97, for a presentation. 3 came correctly.

    OCR is not that great.

    It does that a while to get used to Sudo,
    and exact commands.

    :: GOOD

    MS Viewer worked.

    Can use net beans.
    Can use eclipse
    Can program in Ruby on Rails

    There is a CSS2 editor: CSSed

    FireFTP works way faster on linux then windows
    Multiple HTML programs that work nice.

    Easy to set up apache and mysql with xammp.
    does not have that little icon like on Windows, but it is acceptable.

    Was able to print, and scan pics with my hp printer.

    Was able to add a HOME folder to the Gnome desktop.
    While not a pretty solution, it works.

    open office writer was annoying the heck out of me with
    corrections i did not want, and switched to abi word.

    cakephp worked fine.

  2. Re: going ubuntu linux .... success and problems

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Psyc Geek wrote:

    > i been running just ubuntu for a week now solid.
    > no windows.
    >
    >:: PROBLEMS
    >
    > i can't make my car payment at
    > www.toyotafinancial.com

    SARCASM ON::

    You shouldn't buy a car mad by a company that does not support Linux.....

    > several html sites i have designed have
    > images moved incorrectly when viewed in linux
    > making it hard to make sites for ie people
    > (not sure if css issue yet, but this not fixed is a
    > linux killer. i like to eat.

    You screwed up the install.

    > one openoffice writer table did not come over correctly
    > when saved as word 97, for a presentation. 3 came correctly.

    Microsoft isn't even compatible amongst versions.

    > OCR is not that great.

    Nobody uses OCR.
    Write some code yourself and fix the problems.
    You have the source code after all.

    > It does that a while to get used to Sudo,
    > and exact commands.

    It's a PITA.

    SARCASM OFF:

    Those are the typical Linux Loon answers to your problems.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: going ubuntu linux .... success and problems

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek

    wrote
    on Thu, 3 Jul 2008 17:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > i been running just ubuntu for a week now solid.
    > no windows.
    >
    >:: PROBLEMS
    >
    > i can't make my car payment at
    > www.toyotafinancial.com

    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

    may interest you. (Requires http://www.winehq.org/ .)

    Another crutch, admittedly -- but then IE has become
    a festering pile of crutch, apparently. It used to
    be better than Netscape, but that was before.

    > several html sites i have designed have
    > images moved incorrectly when viewed in linux
    > making it hard to make sites for ie people
    > (not sure if css issue yet, but this not fixed is a
    > linux killer. i like to eat.

    Care to be more specific?

    I can point to some oddities; the Dell main page in
    particular has problems with its menus. I suspect
    sloppiness in the Z ordering, which the two browsers
    resolve differently. fifa.com used to have a similar
    issue with its "pull-down menu" (there may have been a bug
    with Java applets as well) but they've since reorganized
    their website.

    > one openoffice writer table did not come over correctly
    > when saved as word 97, for a presentation. 3 came correctly.

    Hardly specific enough to even try making a stab at.

    > OCR is not that great.

    Ditto.

    > It does that a while to get used to Sudo,
    > and exact commands.

    I use 'su', but a lot of people use sudo without trouble.
    As for "exact commands"...cmoputres dno't hanlde tyops lal
    taht wlel... :-P

    And one still has to wonder why

    CD C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data

    works in Windows XP (look ma, no quotes!), but

    CD \\fileserver\share\directory\path

    does not. Yeah, there's consistency for you!

    >:: GOOD
    >
    > MS Viewer worked.
    >
    > Can use net beans.

    Java.

    > Can use eclipse

    Java.

    > Can program in Ruby on Rails

    Multiplatform.

    > There is a CSS2 editor: CSSed

    A useful utility.

    > FireFTP works way faster on linux then windows

    One wonders why.

    > Multiple HTML programs that work nice.

    "HTML programs"? Either you mean Javascript, or there's
    some odd variant of XSL running amuck.

    > Easy to set up apache and mysql with xammp.
    > does not have that little icon like on Windows, but it is acceptable.

    Yeah, it really needs an icon for the novice sysadmin, I guess.
    :-P

    > Was able to print, and scan pics with my hp printer.
    >
    > Was able to add a HOME folder to the Gnome desktop.
    > While not a pretty solution, it works.

    Did "ln -s .. '~/Desktop/Home Folder'" not work for you?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}