[News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws

    Write to your MEP: say no to “3 strikes” through the backdoor

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Could Europe be drafting a new law to disconnect suspected filesharers from
    | the internet? MEPs have already signalled their condemnation of this
    | approach. But last-minute amendments to telecommunications legislation could
    | bring the so-called “3 strikes” approach in by the backdoor. If you want your
    | MEP to stick to their guns on 3 strikes, write to them today to voice your
    | concerns.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Over in France, President Nicolas Sarkozy (who also took over the European
    | presidency yesterday) has put his weight behind legislation proposed by the
    | Olivennes report. The bill, which has been delayed until the Autumn, will
    | mandate termination of internet connections. It goes without saying that it
    | is the subject of much controversy across the Channel.
    `----

    http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...-the-backdoor/
    http://tinyurl.com/43hxtd

    Recent:

    Digital copyright: it's all wrong

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The ACTA draft is a scary document. If a treaty based on its provisions were
    | adopted, it would enable any border guard, in any treaty country, to check
    | any electronic device for any content that they suspect infringes copyright
    | laws. They need no proof, only suspicion.
    |
    | They would be able to seize any device - laptop, iPod, DVD recorder, mobile
    | phone, etc - and confiscate it or destroy anything on it, merely on
    | suspicion. On the spot, no lawyers, no right of appeal, no nothing.
    `----

    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...e#contentSwap1
    http://tinyurl.com/6ylvpx

    Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Criticism from NGOs
    |
    | Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
    | Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
    | that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
    | by Hollywood companies.
    |
    | Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
    | warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
    | counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
    | insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
    | an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
    | infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
    `----

    http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

    Microsoft could force your mobile into silence

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is developing a new technology that could force mobiles into silent
    | mode, or even prevent calls from being made.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Phone jammers, which work in small spaces, are banned in the UK and come with
    | a hefty fine for use.
    `----

    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...silence-393006

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > Write to your MEP: say no to ?3 strikes? through the backdoor
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Could Europe be drafting a new law to disconnect suspected filesharers from
    >| the internet? MEPs have already signalled their condemnation of this
    >| approach. But last-minute amendments to telecommunications legislation could
    >| bring the so-called ?3 strikes? approach in by the backdoor. If you want your
    >| MEP to stick to their guns on 3 strikes, write to them today to voice your
    >| concerns.
    >|
    >| [...]
    >|
    >| Over in France, President Nicolas Sarkozy (who also took over the European
    >| presidency yesterday) has put his weight behind legislation proposed by the
    >| Olivennes report. The bill, which has been delayed until the Autumn, will
    >| mandate termination of internet connections. It goes without saying that it
    >| is the subject of much controversy across the Channel.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...-the-backdoor/
    > http://tinyurl.com/43hxtd

    Oh dear, more corruption. It would be useful to find out who was
    promoting, and who funded, the Olivennes report. I doubt that this will
    be seen as acceptable in the UK, and in Germany, it's already been found
    that snooping is a privacy violation anyway, unless you're the
    government of course. Perhaps this legislation is trying to pretend
    that ISPs are acting on behalf of the government, rather than the
    teenie-bopper pop industry.

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 04 July 2008 10:13 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>
    >> Write to your MEP: say no to ?3 strikes? through the backdoor
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Could Europe be drafting a new law to disconnect suspected filesharers from
    >>| the internet? MEPs have already signalled their condemnation of this
    >>| approach. But last-minute amendments to telecommunications legislation
    >>| could bring the so-called ?3 strikes? approach in by the backdoor. If you
    >>| want your MEP to stick to their guns on 3 strikes, write to them today to
    >>| voice your concerns.
    >>|
    >>| [...]
    >>|
    >>| Over in France, President Nicolas Sarkozy (who also took over the European
    >>| presidency yesterday) has put his weight behind legislation proposed by the
    >>| Olivennes report. The bill, which has been delayed until the Autumn, will
    >>| mandate termination of internet connections. It goes without saying that it
    >>| is the subject of much controversy across the Channel.
    >> `----

    http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...-the-backdoor/
    >> http://tinyurl.com/43hxtd
    >>

    > Oh dear, more corruption. It would be useful to find out who was
    > promoting, and who funded, the Olivennes report. I doubt that this will
    > be seen as acceptable in the UK, and in Germany, it's already been found
    > that snooping is a privacy violation anyway, unless you're the
    > government of course. Perhaps this legislation is trying to pretend
    > that ISPs are acting on behalf of the government, rather than the
    > teenie-bopper pop industry.

    The BBC wrote an article about it this morning. It seems as though the BPI
    (???) is controlling the government behind the scenes now. Not that such
    things are unusual, but you'd think that only MPAA/RIAA (US) could do this...

    Yesterday:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Did you know that there are more than 34,750
    | registered lobbyists in Washington, D.C., for just 435 representatives and
    | 100 senators? That's 64 lobbyists for each congressperson.* * *
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/article/419764/_R..._Is_Clueless/1

    Context:

    RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
    | science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
    | and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
    `----

    Maybe the next Bilderberg meeting will appoint another Sarkozy-type puppet for
    a puppet regime in more EU countries (Gordon and Tony are already senior
    members of the club, aren't they?).

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [Nicolas] Sarkozy and his family have been vacationing at
    | a lakefront estate in Wolfeboro owned by former Microsoft Corp. executive
    | Michael Appe.
    `----

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20137506/

    Someone recently told me that Italy has just got its own 'Sarkozy', too.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
    Tasks: 163 total, 1 running, 162 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 04 July 2008 10:13 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>>
    >>> Write to your MEP: say no to ?3 strikes? through the backdoor
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]

    >>> `----
    >>>

    > http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...-the-backdoor/
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/43hxtd
    >>>

    >> Oh dear, more corruption. It would be useful to find out who was
    >> promoting, and who funded, the Olivennes report. I doubt that this will
    >> be seen as acceptable in the UK, and in Germany, it's already been found
    >> that snooping is a privacy violation anyway, unless you're the
    >> government of course. Perhaps this legislation is trying to pretend
    >> that ISPs are acting on behalf of the government, rather than the
    >> teenie-bopper pop industry.
    >>

    > The BBC wrote an article about it this morning. It seems as though the BPI
    > (???) is controlling the government behind the scenes now. Not that such
    > things are unusual, but you'd think that only MPAA/RIAA (US) could do this...

    Ah, don't imagine that the UK is in any way immune to such things.
    The culture is very different here in many respects, but people remain
    people. Some people want power, some choose to get it through
    politics, politicians have to be funded, and funders expect some return
    for their investment.

    The best way of minimising such corruption is by increasingly insisting
    on open governance and freedom of information so that all such sources
    are clearly visible. The system of caps on funding is essential to
    avoid the situation we see in some countries where only the exceedingly
    rich can achieve major success in politics.

    > Yesterday:
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Did you know that there are more than 34,750
    >| registered lobbyists in Washington, D.C., for just 435 representatives and
    >| 100 senators? That's 64 lobbyists for each congressperson.* * *
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cio.com/article/419764/_R..._Is_Clueless/1

    The lobbying industry really needs regulation in some respects.

  5. Re: [News] [SOT] Political Corruption Likely Behind "3 Strikes" Laws

    Homer espoused:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
    >
    >> Perhaps this legislation is trying to pretend that ISPs are acting on
    >> behalf of the government, rather than the teenie-bopper pop industry.

    > That's what bugs me the most about this crap. My privacy is being
    > violated because a bunch of spotty kids are "stealing" "music" that
    > I wouldn't even take if it was being given away for free, and a room
    > full of Pete Waterman lookalikes are running around screaming blue
    > murder about protecting their precious "property".
    >
    > For goat's sake just /ban/ music or something. Films and television too.
    > It's all crap anyway. Just ban it all. Burn it. Maybe then we can get
    > some peace ... and our civil-rights back. The garbage they call
    > "entertainment" just isn't worth all this hassle. Seriously.

    I have to agree with you. There was a young chap on Radio 4 a few days
    ago, complaining about having received one of these warning letters from
    his ISP for downloading a song from some teen-pop singer, and he was
    quite adamant that he loathed that particular singer (Amy Winehouse?)
    and wouldn't take it if you tried to give it to him.

    This rather sums up the problem, to my mind. It is just not reasonable
    for the BPI to be judge and jury in their own court.