Getting Distro's to Work Together - Linux

This is a discussion on Getting Distro's to Work Together - Linux ; The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > A distinct possibility, indeed. *Of course one does have to > ask the interesting (and probably ultimately unanswerable, > especially in COLA :-) ) question as to how many distros > or OSes ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: Getting Distro's to Work Together

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > A distinct possibility, indeed. *Of course one does have to
    > ask the interesting (and probably ultimately unanswerable,
    > especially in COLA :-) ) question as to how many distros
    > or OSes are too many, anyway -- especially when mobiles
    > are dragged into the mix.

    Who cares? Use and support the ones you like.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: Getting Distro's to Work Together

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > (Linux is indeed a monopoly at the kernel level, as it's the
    > only Linux kernel, and even then, patches abound, if one
    > needs them. Also, one can freely modify the source to
    > suit his or her own needs.)

    Maybe not for long. The Hurd seems to be progressing.

  3. Re: Getting Distro's to Work Together

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, RonB

    wrote
    on Wed, 09 Jul 2008 22:30:11 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> A distinct possibility, indeed. *Of course one does have to
    >> ask the interesting (and probably ultimately unanswerable,
    >> especially in COLA :-) ) question as to how many distros
    >> or OSes are too many, anyway -- especially when mobiles
    >> are dragged into the mix.

    > Who cares? Use and support the ones you like.

    Aye; that's the best answer I can give as well.

    I like Gentoo. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  4. Re: Getting Distro's to Work Together

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!

    wrote
    on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:44:03 +0100
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> (Linux is indeed a monopoly at the kernel level, as it's the
    >> only Linux kernel, and even then, patches abound, if one
    >> needs them. Also, one can freely modify the source to
    >> suit his or her own needs.)

    > Maybe not for long. The Hurd seems to be progressing.

    I'm hoping for Gentoo/HURD. ;-) There's some risk of
    ossification, but HURD will help keep everyone honest, as
    software that hews to standards will have more chances at
    working on all three of Linux, FreeBSD, and HURD, as well
    as MacOSX, ReactOS, and Windows.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    GNU and improved.

  5. Re: Getting Distro's to Work Together

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil Da Lick!
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 10 Jul 2008 12:44:03 +0100
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> (Linux is indeed a monopoly at the kernel level, as it's the
    >>> only Linux kernel, and even then, patches abound, if one
    >>> needs them. Also, one can freely modify the source to
    >>> suit his or her own needs.)

    >> Maybe not for long. The Hurd seems to be progressing.

    > I'm hoping for Gentoo/HURD. ;-) There's some risk of
    > ossification, but HURD will help keep everyone honest, as
    > software that hews to standards will have more chances at
    > working on all three of Linux, FreeBSD, and HURD, as well
    > as MacOSX, ReactOS, and Windows.

    Aint choice grand?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2