[News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

    An Open Video to HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Shawn Powers has a message for hardware vendors. Listen up!
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/open-letter-hp

    Microsoft, the marketing company, forces actual companies and OEMs to say what
    they 'recommend' or pays them for it (gentle forcing with conditional
    discounts). What a twisted market filled with deception. It was the same with
    H-P France and Microsoft OOXML (see below).

    Former HP VP charged with stealing IBM trade secrets

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A former Hewlett-Packard Co. vice president was indicted by a federal grand
    | jury last week for allegedly stealing trade secrets from his former employer,
    | IBM.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...&intsrc=kc_top

    Related:

    E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
    | arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
    | system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
    | machinations with Intel, HP and Dell. Â*
    |
    | The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
    | described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
    | complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP." Â*
    |
    | The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
    | Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
    | reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
    | famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
    | Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://origin.mercurynews.com/busine...nclick_check=1

    Microsoft seeds HP PCs with Live Search

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ever determined to close the gap on Google, Microsoft has cut a deal with HP
    | to dope all new PCs it flogs to North Americans with Live Search.
    `----

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...p_live_search/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:15:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It's a form of a Big Lie. People might think that Vista is actually recommended
    > if the slogan is repeated in many place (remember "people-ready" shills
    > [1,2,3] and other sickening stories [4]?). Isn't there a law against this?
    > Called "false advertising" or something along those lines?

    Boy are you ignorant Roy Schestowitz.
    No wonder you're still in school.

    False advertising would be OpenOffice claiming it's fully Microsoft Office
    compatible like they used to do.
    They no longer make that claim probably because they got threatened with
    lawsuits from people who got sucked into believing that ridiculous claim.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

    ____/ Homer on Friday 04 July 2008 14:00 : \____

    >> Isn't there a law against this? Called "false advertising" or
    >> something along those lines?

    > In the specific example (the mini-notebook) they get away with it by
    > printing a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of the flyer, and even
    > on the front it only reads "recommends" rather than "uses" or "needs",
    > so that's how they game the system.
    >
    > There may be a case for /misleading/ advertising though. I'm not sure if
    > the ASA (or the US equivalent - if there is such a thing) considers this
    > in the same light.
    >
    > Certainly the ASA have taken them to task before over /other/ ads,
    > mainly because of the Vole's predilection for violence and pornography.

    Yes, and I once heard that they had also banned Get the Facts. Now, if only
    they could make it a universal ban, like the Web... Microsoft also has fake
    blogs now. Who knows how many? Those responsible should be put in prison. It's
    illegal according to EU laws. Microsoft breaks the law again.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...icrosoft_blog/

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
    education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
    university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."
    --Nathan Newman

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:00:22 +0100, Homer wrote:

    >> Isn't there a law against this? Called "false advertising" or something
    >> along those lines?

    > In the specific example (the mini-notebook) they get away with it by
    > printing a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of the flyer, and even on
    > the front it only reads "recommends" rather than "uses" or "needs", so
    > that's how they game the system.
    >
    > There may be a case for /misleading/ advertising though. I'm not sure if
    > the ASA (or the US equivalent - if there is such a thing) considers this
    > in the same light.
    >
    > Certainly the ASA have taken them to task before over /other/ ads, mainly
    > because of the Vole's predilection for violence and pornography.

    Not only that, the ASA also had them pull ads comparing Windows with Linux
    because they were totally incorrect:

    http://www.cxolinux.com/linux/jsp/ar...93&cat_id=1202

    They also had M$ pull other ads which compared Windows to Linux showing
    Windows in a more favourable light....*except* M$ were comparing their
    present offering with a Linux product (RedHat IIRC) of TWO years before!

    The South African ASA also pulled M$ ads which inferred that the "hacker*
    was now extinct" because it was misleading.
    http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/busi...e&A=SFT&O=FPMS

    * They actually meant cracker, but the popular press *will* use the term
    hacker.

    --
    The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
    turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.

+ Reply to Thread