Actually Using Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Actually Using Linux - Linux ; Being a Web Designer with Javascript on the front end with PHP or Ruby on Rails on the back end, I can actually use Ubuntu 8 to design and test web sites locally. There is a cool CSS tool called ...

  1. Actually Using Linux

    Being a Web Designer with Javascript on the front end with PHP or Ruby
    on Rails on the back end, I can actually use Ubuntu 8 to design and
    test web sites locally. There is a cool CSS tool called CSSed Editor,
    and I use Net Beans instead of Eclipse of some sorts for the work.
    Apache and MySQL are pretty easy to actually set up and run.

    Ubuntu is way faster then Vista on my HP Pavilion Laptop. Things work
    a little bit differently, but they do work, and most is pretty nice.
    Getting used to the difference takes a bit of effort, as you are used
    to one thing and now it all works a bit differently.

    But you can do it without to much hassle. Getting current working
    install instructions for ruby on rails was a bit of a hassle, but
    once you find some, you are good.

    For the most part, Ubuntu is a pretty nice place to code in.

    And if you get bored, you can always harass somebody on Cola.

    got Milk?

  2. Re: Actually Using Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 19:59:08 -0700 (PDT)
    :
    > Being a Web Designer with Javascript on the front end with PHP or Ruby
    > on Rails on the back end, I can actually use Ubuntu 8 to design and
    > test web sites locally. There is a cool CSS tool called CSSed Editor,

    # emerge cssed

    after editing /etc/portage/package.keywords/cssed to enable it (it's
    masked using ~x86 for some reason). This is admittedly specific
    to Gentoo, of course.

    > and I use Net Beans instead of Eclipse of some sorts for the work.
    > Apache and MySQL are pretty easy to actually set up and run.
    >
    > Ubuntu is way faster then Vista on my HP Pavilion Laptop.

    How much RAM is on your laptop, then? The dv5000z specs
    suggest it can have up to 2 GB RAM and 128 MB video RAM
    (ATI RADEON XPRESS 200); 2GB should be plenty for Vista.

    The hard drive is 120 GB so shouldn't be a problem either.

    The main oddity is that the databus speed is 200 MHz.

    > Things work
    > a little bit differently,

    A *lot* differently. For starters, no UAC requesters.

    > but they do work, and most is pretty nice.
    > Getting used to the difference takes a bit of effort, as you are used
    > to one thing and now it all works a bit differently.
    >
    > But you can do it without to much hassle. Getting current working
    > install instructions for ruby on rails was a bit of a hassle, but
    > once you find some, you are good.
    >
    > For the most part, Ubuntu is a pretty nice place to code in.
    >
    > And if you get bored, you can always harass somebody on Cola.

    :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/brain: Permission denied