Why people "choose" Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Why people "choose" Windows - Linux ; My spouse, a college teacher, has been able to do a lot of work from our own house using her Linux laptop, for years on end. And where her colleagues were plagued by malware and viruses, and regular Windows reinstalls, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. Why people "choose" Windows

    My spouse, a college teacher, has been able to do a lot of work from our own
    house using her Linux laptop, for years on end. And where her colleagues
    were plagued by malware and viruses, and regular Windows reinstalls, all of
    her trouble consisted of adjusting the odd table padding here or margin
    there in the documents she created and processed with OpenOffice.
    In short: no problems to speak of in years, and she could merrily download
    and upload her work and check and send mail through the college's servers.

    Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the login
    page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    Access 7 Control for continued access".

    Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're
    stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they have
    a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up with
    this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the first
    place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold this
    crapware to the college.

    And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar fines
    to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying non-Microsoft
    users access to the use of their products and services? This is very, very
    sad indeed.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  2. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Richard Rasker writes:

    > My spouse, a college teacher, has been able to do a lot of work from our own
    > house using her Linux laptop, for years on end. And where her colleagues
    > were plagued by malware and viruses, and regular Windows reinstalls, all of
    > her trouble consisted of adjusting the odd table padding here or margin
    > there in the documents she created and processed with OpenOffice.
    > In short: no problems to speak of in years, and she could merrily download
    > and upload her work and check and send mail through the college's
    > servers.

    Meanwhile in the real world people make "cuckoo" noises and think Dicky
    Rasker is a liar. After all more than 90% of the world's desktop use
    Windows and the great majority use it with no problems at all.

    This is not advocating Linux. It's simply telling lies about Windows.

    > Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    > today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the login
    > page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    > Access 7 Control for continued access".

    IBM eh?

    > Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    > Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    > Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're
    > stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    This bit I agree with you.

    > This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they have
    > a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up with
    > this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the first
    > place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold this
    > crapware to the college.

    Yup this is bad. But it also sounds like all that needs to happen is IBM
    need to release a NON active X certification tool.

    --
    "Don't like Linux.. don't use it. Simple."
    -- Rick in comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp

  3. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message

    > Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    > today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the
    > login
    > page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    > Access 7 Control for continued access".
    >
    > This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they
    > have
    > a choice, but because they're forced to use it.

    --- "users are required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control for
    continued access".

    What part of "IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control" did Microsoft write? But
    wait... isn't IBM this big friend of linux so how could this be?

  4. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system,
    > and as of today, all connections from here fail, with an
    > ominous warning on the login page: "Home and laptop users are
    > required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control for
    > continued access".
    >
    > Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to
    > use their Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX
    > controls on Web sites are Microsoft's way to give any
    > non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're stuck with a
    > simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    Richard, I haven't tried it yet and have not a need, so you are
    on your own.

    I noticed the following on:

    http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml

    This solution is now available on Linux. Domino Web Access 6.5
    extends messaging and collaboration to Linux clients with support
    for the Mozilla browser — making it the first-ever fully
    supported client-to-server collaboration solution for Linux.
    Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to remain
    in a Linux environment after all.

    --
    HPT

  5. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    >> today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the
    >> login
    >> page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    >> Access 7 Control for continued access".
    >>
    >> This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they
    >> have
    >> a choice, but because they're forced to use it.

    > --- "users are required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control for
    > continued access".
    >
    > What part of "IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control" did Microsoft write? But
    > wait... isn't IBM this big friend of linux so how could this be?

    Yes. And wonder upon wonder! They have Linux access too!

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg27011450

    --
    "Hey, who needs mp3, wma, acc when we can have ogg?"
    -- "Moshe Goldfarb." in comp.os.linux.advocacy

  6. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    High Plains Thumper wrote:
    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT
    >> system, and as of today, all connections from here fail,
    >> with an ominous warning on the login page: "Home and laptop
    >> users are required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7
    >> Control for continued access".
    >>
    >> Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue
    >> to use their Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX
    >> controls on Web sites are Microsoft's way to give any
    >> non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're stuck with a
    >> simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    > Richard, I haven't tried it yet and have not a need, so you
    > are on your own.
    >
    > I noticed the following on:
    >
    > http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml

    This solution is now available on Linux. Domino Web
    > Access 6.5 extends messaging and collaboration to Linux
    > clients with support for the Mozilla browser — making it the
    > first-ever fully supported client-to-server collaboration
    > solution for Linux.
    >
    > Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to
    > remain in a Linux environment after all.

    This is just a thought. Perhaps you could check with your IT
    department to see is they have the Linux version available for
    your use and whether the current IBM x86 Linux 6.5 version would
    work.

    I looked at the pricing for an individual license, varies from 87
    to 174 EUR for Netherlands, depending on options.

    It might be worth a try to check with them first. Worst they
    could say is, "no."

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Richard Rasker

    wrote
    on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:39:46 +0200
    :
    > My spouse, a college teacher, has been able to do a lot of work from our own
    > house using her Linux laptop, for years on end. And where her colleagues
    > were plagued by malware and viruses, and regular Windows reinstalls, all of
    > her trouble consisted of adjusting the odd table padding here or margin
    > there in the documents she created and processed with OpenOffice.
    > In short: no problems to speak of in years, and she could merrily download
    > and upload her work and check and send mail through the college's servers.

    Erm...if this is why people "choose" Windows, why open
    with OpenOffice? Granted, OO is an excellent product
    (within its limitations; I still want to have it *generate*
    CSS properly), and apart from Badbunnyz suffers from no
    known viral infections unlike certain competitive products.

    But the simple answer is: people "choose" Windows because
    people want a computer system to work, and Microsoft,
    in their, erm, wisdom (for lack of a better term) is a
    working (again, for lack of a better term) solution.

    Of course, working is in the eye of the beholder. One can
    take one's groceries home in a small soapbox derby car
    or wagon pulled by one's children, but most people want
    something along the lines of an automobile. :-)

    > Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    > today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the login
    > page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    > Access 7 Control for continued access".
    >
    > Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    > Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    > Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger.

    And to monitor website usage, presumably.

    > So we're
    > stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    Not quite that stark. Get Windows, get OpenOffice on
    Windows. Then again, that's like replacing the wheels
    on that soapbox derby cart with proper inflatable tires.
    Might improve traction some and look better, but the kids
    still have to pull.

    I'm hoping this is a somewhat special case, though.
    $EMPLOYER here did install a new Windows-based system but
    I can still file my timesheets fine, and I can now file
    bugs through our bug tracking system as well (seems that
    Mozzie cookie issue is gone, wohoo!).

    But one now has to wonder about IBM.

    Another possibility is to get IE6 working under WinE
    in Linux. I'll admit to some curiosity as to how well
    ActiveX runs in that environment. (PNGs are crap on my
    machine at the moment, in IE6. I have no clue why.)

    > This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they have
    > a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up with
    > this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the first
    > place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold this
    > crapware to the college.
    >
    > And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar fines
    > to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying non-Microsoft
    > users access to the use of their products and services? This is very, very
    > sad indeed.

    Sad, but not that surprising.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  8. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message

    > And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar
    > fines
    > to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying non-Microsoft
    > users access to the use of their products and services? This is very, very
    > sad indeed.

    Oh, getting a little vigorish as the cost of doing business in foreign lands
    has been the way of the world for centuries. Ms Kroes and the EU wetting
    their beak in the Microsoft pot is nothing to get excited about. With the
    enhanced prices in the EU for their products, Microsoft manages to turn a
    nice profit regardless.

    As to the fairness of having to adapt to your employer's demands, I cannot
    say. If you are dissatisfied with your place, it is your own fault. You
    are either too lazy or too foolish or too incompetent to obtain something
    better, so you must put up with it.

  9. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:39:46 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:

    > Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    > today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the login
    > page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    > Access 7 Control for continued access".

    Hmmm...

    > Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    > Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    > Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're
    > stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    ActiveX controls go back to 1995 and were a response to Netscapes binary
    control plug-ins.

    > This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they have
    > a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up with
    > this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the first
    > place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold this
    > crapware to the college.

    Why would a Microsoft "gold partner" sell the college an IBM solution?
    Something doesn't sound right with your story.

    > And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar fines
    > to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying non-Microsoft
    > users access to the use of their products and services? This is very, very
    > sad indeed.

    Since when did Microsoft write IBM software?

  10. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:21:50 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >> Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT
    >>> system, and as of today, all connections from here fail,
    >>> with an ominous warning on the login page: "Home and laptop
    >>> users are required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7
    >>> Control for continued access".
    >>>
    >>> Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue
    >>> to use their Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX
    >>> controls on Web sites are Microsoft's way to give any
    >>> non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're stuck with a
    >>> simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    >> Richard, I haven't tried it yet and have not a need, so you
    >> are on your own.
    >>
    >> I noticed the following on:
    >>
    >> http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml

    This solution is now available on Linux. Domino Web
    >> Access 6.5 extends messaging and collaboration to Linux
    >> clients with support for the Mozilla browser ˇX making it the
    >> first-ever fully supported client-to-server collaboration
    >> solution for Linux.
    >>
    >> Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to
    >> remain in a Linux environment after all.

    > This is just a thought. Perhaps you could check with your IT
    > department to see is they have the Linux version available for
    > your use and whether the current IBM x86 Linux 6.5 version would
    > work.
    >
    > I looked at the pricing for an individual license, varies from 87
    > to 174 EUR for Netherlands, depending on options.
    >
    > It might be worth a try to check with them first. Worst they
    > could say is, "no."

    Further proof you don't work in the Information Technology world HPT.

    One thing you Linux loons ignore is that people don't want to have to jump
    through hoops just to run Linux.
    They want to run applications that they need to perform their jobs.
    Most are not interested in spending countless hours trying to shoehorn
    Linux into a situation where it just doesn't fit.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  11. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:19:09 -0400, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:39:46 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    >> today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the login
    >> page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino Web
    >> Access 7 Control for continued access".

    > Hmmm...
    >
    >> Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    >> Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    >> Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're
    >> stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    > ActiveX controls go back to 1995 and were a response to Netscapes binary
    > control plug-ins.
    >
    >> This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they have
    >> a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up with
    >> this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the first
    >> place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold this
    >> crapware to the college.

    > Why would a Microsoft "gold partner" sell the college an IBM solution?
    > Something doesn't sound right with your story.
    >
    >> And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar fines
    >> to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying non-Microsoft
    >> users access to the use of their products and services? This is very, very
    >> sad indeed.

    > Since when did Microsoft write IBM software?

    It appears that Richard Rasker is writing fairy tales again.
    He ain't no Hans Christian Andersen that's for sure.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> This is just a thought. Perhaps you could check with your
    >> IT department to see is they have the Linux version
    >> available for your use and whether the current IBM x86 Linux
    >> 6.5 version would work.
    >>
    >> I looked at the pricing for an individual license, varies
    >> from 87 to 174 EUR for Netherlands, depending on options.
    >>
    >> It might be worth a try to check with them first. Worst
    >> they could say is, "no."

    > Fu [SNIP rest of troll rant]

    Richard's rant is related to the continuance of the monopoly,
    latest expression as follows:

    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/200...soft_monopoly/

    [quote]
    China in anti-monopoly investigation of Microsoft
    By Kelly Fiveash → More by this author
    18 Jun 2008 11:20
    Enter the dragon

    Updated China has kicked off an anti-monopoly probe into
    Microsoft’s business practices and lawsuits from local firms
    could follow, according to state media reports today.

    [....]

    "On the one hand, global software firms, taking advantage of
    their monopoly position, set unreasonably high prices for genuine
    software while on the other hand, they criticise Chinese for poor
    copyright awareness. This is abnormal."

    [....]

    One copy of the Windows operating system bundled with Microsoft
    Office software can cost up to 7,000 yuan ($1,015) in China, the
    source said, making it more expensive than a PC.

    --
    HPT

  13. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:39:46 +0200, Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system, and as of
    >> today, all connections from here fail, with an ominous warning on the
    >> login page: "Home and laptop users are required to install the IBM Domino
    >> Web Access 7 Control for continued access".

    > Hmmm...
    >
    >> Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to use their
    >> Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX controls on Web sites are
    >> Microsoft's way to give any non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're
    >> stuck with a simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    > ActiveX controls go back to 1995 and were a response to Netscapes binary
    > control plug-ins.
    >
    >> This is a perfect example why people "choose" Windows: not because they
    >> have a choice, but because they're forced to use it. And oh, who came up
    >> with this idea to set up the college's Internet portal this way in the
    >> first place? Yup, the Certified Microsoft Gold Partner bastards who sold
    >> this crapware to the college.

    > Why would a Microsoft "gold partner" sell the college an IBM solution?
    > Something doesn't sound right with your story.

    I know they were responsible for rolling out new, all-Windows client
    workstations around the college in the past months, and for drawing up the
    students' system requirements ("a Windows machine with Microsoft Office,
    Outlook Express and Internet Explorer").
    But you're right, it doesn't make sense server-side. [checking netcraft]
    Hm, interesting, they're running Apache on Linux (and have been for the past
    few years).
    This still begs the question who is responsible for choosing an ActiveX
    control for essential Internet access functions -- this is bound to give
    big problems for non-Widows users, and whoever made this decision, must
    have known this. But my conclusion that the desktop supplier is actually
    responsible for this choice was probably a premature one. I know that
    Microsoft-peddling outfits often have a lot of incluence on what gets
    installed with their customers, but indeed it's doubtful if this is the
    case with this ActiveX mess.

    >> And, er, didn't mrs. Kroes just hand out multi-hundred-million-dollar
    >> fines to Microsod for exactly this kind of practice, i.e. denying
    >> non-Microsoft users access to the use of their products and services?
    >> This is very, very sad indeed.

    > Since when did Microsoft write IBM software?

    Hehe, last I heard, some time around 1985, when Microsoft created a
    graphical interface for IBM's OS/2 :-)
    All I'm saying is that whoever chose this Windows-only solution, regardless
    whether it is IBM, this Microsoft Gold Partner, or the college IT
    department itself, it's a bad development -- especially since it concerns
    an Internet function, not just a local desktop application. There are
    plenty ways to implement a Web-based access control system without ActiveX
    controls and the likes.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  14. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Richard Rasker wrote:
    >
    >> Until today, that is. Now, they've "modernized" the IT system,
    >> and as of today, all connections from here fail, with an
    >> ominous warning on the login page: "Home and laptop users are
    >> required to install the IBM Domino Web Access 7 Control for
    >> continued access".
    >>
    >> Great. So we need to install an ActiveX control to continue to
    >> use their Internet services. And, as we all know, ActiveX
    >> controls on Web sites are Microsoft's way to give any
    >> non-Windows users the middle finger. So we're stuck with a
    >> simple choice: get Windows, or give up working from home.

    > Richard, I haven't tried it yet and have not a need, so you are
    > on your own.
    >
    > I noticed the following on:
    >
    > http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml
    >

    > This solution is now available on Linux. Domino Web Access 6.5
    > extends messaging and collaboration to Linux clients with support
    > for the Mozilla browser — making it the first-ever fully
    > supported client-to-server collaboration solution for Linux.
    >

    > Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to remain
    > in a Linux environment after all.

    Yeah, someone else also pointed me in this direction, and it's sort of
    encouraging. But as far as I could see, Domino Web Access 7 (the one we're
    dealing with here) only supports Firefox 1.0.

    But I'm certain to check it out -- and I also sent another request for help
    to the college's IT department, perhaps they're willing to do something
    after all. (They weren't exactly co-operative yesterday, which was also the
    cause for the somewhat ranty tone in my posting ...)

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  15. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:21:50 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> I noticed the following on:
    >>>
    >>> http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml

    This solution is now available on Linux. Domino Web
    >>> Access 6.5 extends messaging and collaboration to Linux
    >>> clients with support for the Mozilla browser — making it the
    >>> first-ever fully supported client-to-server collaboration
    >>> solution for Linux.
    >>>
    >>> Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to
    >>> remain in a Linux environment after all.

    >> This is just a thought. Perhaps you could check with your IT
    >> department to see is they have the Linux version available for
    >> your use and whether the current IBM x86 Linux 6.5 version would
    >> work.
    >>
    >> I looked at the pricing for an individual license, varies from 87
    >> to 174 EUR for Netherlands, depending on options.
    >>
    >> It might be worth a try to check with them first. Worst they
    >> could say is, "no."

    > Further proof you don't work in the Information Technology world HPT.
    >
    > One thing you Linux loons ignore is that people don't want to have to jump
    > through hoops just to run Linux.

    The point is that my spouse has been using Linux for years here, without
    having to jump through any hoops.

    > They want to run applications that they need to perform their jobs.

    All my spouse needed to perform her job was an Internet browser; Firefox is
    as good a browser as you can get, and everything worked perfectly fine,
    until some genius came up with the idea to deploy a Windows-only bit of
    software in a widely used Internet service. You don't expect to be locked
    out all of a sudden.

    > Most are not interested in spending countless hours trying to shoehorn
    > Linux into a situation where it just doesn't fit.

    So what you're saying is that Linux isn't a good choice for using Internet
    services. Yeah, right.
    Dumbass.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl

  16. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    * Richard Rasker peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >

    > Dumbass.

    We knew that already.

    --
    A lack of leadership is no substitute for inaction.

  17. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Richard Rasker wrote:

    >All I'm saying is that whoever chose this Windows-only solution, regardless
    >whether it is IBM, this Microsoft Gold Partner, or the college IT
    >department itself, it's a bad development -- especially since it concerns
    >an Internet function, not just a local desktop application. There are
    >plenty ways to implement a Web-based access control system without ActiveX
    >controls and the likes.

    Yet fsckwits like the mentally-ill flat**** troll will continue with
    their "if Linux is so good, why is it only 1% of desktops after 10
    years" nonsense.

  18. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    And ****wits like you fail to realise there are linux clients for this
    too.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg27011450

    Duh.

    --
    "Give it up because going on the offensive, and you are quite offensive, is
    not going to cover up your trolling and nym shifting blunders no matter now

  19. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    Richard Rasker wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/solution...solution.shtml
    >>
    >> [SNIP]
    >>
    >> Have you researched yet this option? You may be able to
    >> remain in a Linux environment after all.

    > Yeah, someone else also pointed me in this direction, and it's
    > sort of encouraging. But as far as I could see, Domino Web
    > Access 7 (the one we're dealing with here) only supports
    > Firefox 1.0.
    >
    > But I'm certain to check it out -- and I also sent another
    > request for help to the college's IT department, perhaps
    > they're willing to do something after all. (They weren't
    > exactly co-operative yesterday, which was also the cause for
    > the somewhat ranty tone in my posting ...)

    I can understand that. Sometimes one ends up dealing with some
    moronic toner monkey twat who as a Government employee, thinks he
    runs the department. I usually end up going over his head and
    talking to his supervisor. Sometimes I think having these so
    called IT certifications breed arrogance with knowledgeless idiots.

    --
    HPT

  20. Re: Why people "choose" Windows

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >Richard Rasker wrote:
    >>
    >> Yeah, someone else also pointed me in this direction, and it's
    >> sort of encouraging. But as far as I could see, Domino Web
    >> Access 7 (the one we're dealing with here) only supports
    >> Firefox 1.0.
    >>
    >> But I'm certain to check it out -- and I also sent another
    >> request for help to the college's IT department, perhaps
    >> they're willing to do something after all. (They weren't
    >> exactly co-operative yesterday, which was also the cause for
    >> the somewhat ranty tone in my posting ...)

    >I can understand that. Sometimes one ends up dealing with some
    >moronic toner monkey twat who as a Government employee, thinks he
    >runs the department. I usually end up going over his head and
    >talking to his supervisor.

    May help, or may not, of course. They may tell you to fsck right off,
    because the M$-only solution makes THEIR lives easier, and, after all,
    the monay is not is not coming from their own personal bottom-lines.

    Plus, of course, they are rarely called to task on this sort of lazy,
    selfish behavior, because, after all, "It's Windows. Everyone is
    already using it anyway."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast