Google Inks Deal to Use Tele Atlas Maps on Android OS

| This Wiki style of map making by using user edits has already been a
| tremendous help to both Google maps and TomTom devises through the Map Share
| feature, however now edits made on one map system will be carried over to the
| other.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007201.html

Related:

Google's Secret Weapon

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Google is] an example of a company that literally couldn't have existed in
| the same form pre-Linux or pre-open source," says Jim Zemlin, executive
| director of The Linux Foundation -- the organization that pays Linus Torvalds
| to work on the Linux kernel. "If they had to rely on Microsoft or Sun, not
| only would it have been too expensive, they could not have done the
| modifications necessary to create their services." * *
|
| The last point is confirmed by Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris
| DiBona, who joined the company in August 2004 to oversee and coordinate its
| open source activities: "The thing about open source [is], it's kind of like
| it's yours. Considering that Google does an insane amount of software
| development, if we had to have some of the restrictions that heavily
| proprietary would present us, we couldn't develop at the speed that we do." * * *
`----

http://redmondmag.com/features/artic...torialsID=2395

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards. *
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum. *
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption." *
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
`----