Retro gaming comes to Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Retro gaming comes to Linux - Linux ; Play battlezone and other golden oldies! http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...2-017-26-RV-GM But beware! You probably have to go proprietary! ,---- | A 3-D accelerated video card is also required for most of the | games. Proprietary drivers for Nvidia and ATI-based video cards are ...

  1. Retro gaming comes to Linux

    ,----
    | A 3-D accelerated video card is also required for most of the
    | games. Proprietary drivers for Nvidia and ATI-based video cards are
    | included, so you can enable acceleration for those types of cards by
    | simply answering a few dialogs during the boot process.
    `----

    It'll take you back to classics such as pacman, space invaders and
    missile command.!

    http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/

    Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!

    http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/

    Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

  2. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >
    > http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >
    > Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.

    Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

  3. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>
    >> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>
    >> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    > What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    > Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >

    > Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    Nonsense. Here's a screenshot from a new "state of the art" linux game that
    was just released in April 2008. (In all fairness... the game was released
    earlier than this but the latest update 04/08 added the latest features
    like sound and 2 player support.)

    http://www.allegro.cc/depot/screenshots/3614_large.png

  4. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    >> Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>

    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > Nonsense. Here's a screenshot from a new "state of the art" linux game that
    > was just released in April 2008. (In all fairness... the game was released
    > earlier than this but the latest update 04/08 added the latest features
    > like sound and 2 player support.)
    >
    > http://www.allegro.cc/depot/screenshots/3614_large.png

    Pretty cool.

    7 was right. How the hell can something like this

    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/bioshock/images.html

    compete?

    --
    "The even stupider thing about it is, these morons really believe that
    threatening people will fire and brimstone will "convert" them."

  5. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 20:48:46 -0400
    <83f52$486c21ee$12614@news.teranews.com>:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    >> Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>

    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > Nonsense. Here's a screenshot from a new "state of the art" linux game that
    > was just released in April 2008. (In all fairness... the game was released
    > earlier than this but the latest update 04/08 added the latest features
    > like sound and 2 player support.)
    >
    > http://www.allegro.cc/depot/screenshots/3614_large.png

    Exactly! Nowadays, one should not only have a full 3-D
    environment for a game, but the toy franchise, website,
    and the movie rights as well...

    http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom-final/
    http://www.doommovie.com/ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419706/)
    http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=606

    (Presumably Unreal Tournament is in the works. Google didn't
    pull up anything for a movie.)

    http://www.halo3.com/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0464037/
    http://www.toywiz.com/haacfi.html

    Now how well does Pong translate?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  6. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards
    >> their Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>

    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > Nonsense. Here's a screenshot from a new "state of the art" linux
    > game that was just released in April 2008. (In all fairness... the
    > game was released earlier than this but the latest update 04/08 added
    > the latest features like sound and 2 player support.)
    >
    > http://www.allegro.cc/depot/screenshots/3614_large.png

    Sweet! Go Linux!

  7. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:07:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Play battlezone and other golden oldies!
    >
    > http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story...2-017-26-RV-GM
    >
    > But beware! You probably have to go proprietary!
    >
    > ,----
    >| A 3-D accelerated video card is also required for most of the
    >| games. Proprietary drivers for Nvidia and ATI-based video cards are
    >| included, so you can enable acceleration for those types of cards by
    >| simply answering a few dialogs during the boot process.
    > `----
    >
    > It'll take you back to classics such as pacman, space invaders and
    > missile command.!
    >
    > http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >
    > Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >
    > http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >
    > Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    Incredible.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>
    >> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>
    >> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    > What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    > Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >
    > Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    ....yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game
    that sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    --
    Sophocles wants his cut. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:19:14 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards
    >> their Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>
    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > ...yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game that
    > sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    What amazes me, is that a clown who hates Linux subscribes to a Linux
    magazine at around $179 a year, so so he can denigrate the OS.
    Sick or what..

    --
    The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
    turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.

  10. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On 2008-07-03, William Poaster wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:19:14 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards
    >>> their Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>>
    >>> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    >> ...yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game that
    >> sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    > What amazes me, is that a clown who hates Linux subscribes to a Linux
    > magazine at around $179 a year, so so he can denigrate the OS.
    > Sick or what..

    ....saves us the expense.

    I will have to check this out now and see if it's interesting.

    --
    The best OS in the world is ultimately useless |||
    if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates. / | \

  11. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:19:14 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    >> Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>
    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > ...yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game
    > that sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    Is this guy for real?
    It looks like you are talking to some kind of mis-wired bot...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>
    >>> Check out the glorious detail of this battleship!
    >>>
    >>> http://tnlgame.net/component/option,...per/Itemid,58/
    >>>
    >>> Gaming is very much alive on Linux!

    >> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    >> Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>
    >> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    > ...yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game
    > that sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    Exactly. Who needs realistic 3D rendering and accurate physics models for
    game play.

    Something like this newly released "Pong" will certainly keep linux gamers
    on the edge of their seat for months with the deep strategy and superior
    gameplay. Especially now that the latest version (1.0) adds support for
    sound. It doesn't have increasing difficulty (yet) but it's on the checklist
    for version 2.0. So for now it's just one single level of Pong with one
    single level of difficulty.

    Yeah... that pixel pushing high performance state of the art gaming is so
    mundane.

    http://www.allegro.cc/depot/Pong4Linux

    What's New:
    1.0
    - Sound implemented
    - 2Player mode implemented

    TODO: Documentation

    2.0 Checklist:
    - Not-outright-dumb AI
    - Increasing Difficulty
    - At least one more game mode

  13. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    >Exactly! Nowadays, one should not only have a full 3-D
    >environment for a game, but the toy franchise, website,
    >and the movie rights as well...

    Poor, poor, trolls - getting all exited over some evidence that "Linux
    isn't the best platform for gamers". Well, duh. With the exception
    of a couple rather unrealistic advocates, I think we could agree on
    that.

    Linux isn't the best tool for all people and for all applications.
    That doesn't mean it's not an excellent tool for many people and for
    many applications . The same could be said for Windows.

    So, should we all troll each other for all eternity? Because there's
    always going to be some extremists, on each side of the fence, who
    will not "confess" that "the other tool is a better choice for some
    people"...

    For pathetic fsckwits like our Wintrolls, the answer to that question
    is, apparently, "yes".

  14. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    On 2008-07-03, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    >>> What amazes me is the dreck games that Linux Format magazine awards their
    >>> Hot Picks! each month. It's always stuff like that and X-Moto.
    >>>
    >>> Can't get these young guys to code good Linux/GPL games for free.

    >> ...yes, I can see where a guy like you might be put off by a game
    >> that sells itself on the non pixel pushing aspects of gameplay.

    > Exactly. Who needs realistic 3D rendering and accurate physics models for
    > game play.

    Suburbanites fixated on conspicous consumption perhaps.

    A 3D rendering engine may or may not be a requirement for
    effective gameplay depending on the game. Your comment about
    the physics model is just slander straight from your nether
    regions.

    [deletia]

    Not everyone is fixated on shooters.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  15. Re: Retro gaming comes to Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv

    wrote
    on Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:15:59 -0500
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >>Exactly! Nowadays, one should not only have a full 3-D
    >>environment for a game, but the toy franchise, website,
    >>and the movie rights as well...

    > Poor, poor, trolls - getting all exited over some evidence that "Linux
    > isn't the best platform for gamers".

    Personally, I would dispute that. Its stability lends
    itself towards more creative gaming, presumably; also, the
    ability to multitask without falling down drunk enhances
    debugging. It also appears that at least one version of
    Quake had a higher framerate on the same hardware, when
    running with Linux -- though I for one would think such
    highly dependent on the hardware.

    > Well, duh. With the exception
    > of a couple rather unrealistic advocates, I think we could agree on
    > that.

    Is DirectX10 *that* good? :-)

    > Linux isn't the best tool for all people and for all applications.
    > That doesn't mean it's not an excellent tool for many people and for
    > many applications . The same could be said for Windows.
    >
    > So, should we all troll each other for all eternity? Because there's
    > always going to be some extremists, on each side of the fence, who
    > will not "confess" that "the other tool is a better choice for some
    > people"...
    >
    > For pathetic fsckwits like our Wintrolls, the answer to that question
    > is, apparently, "yes".

    Evidently.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}