Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful" - Linux

This is a discussion on Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful" - Linux ; http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/ KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad June 25th, 2008 I wanted to like KDE 4. I really did. I can't. It is the most annoying GUI (graphical user interface) I've used in years. And, yes, I'm including Vista's slow ...

  1. Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/

    KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad
    June 25th, 2008

    I wanted to like KDE 4. I really did. I can't. It is the most annoying GUI
    (graphical user interface) I've used in years. And, yes, I'm including Vista's
    slow as sludge Aero in my evaluation.

    I found KDE 4 to be awful.

    With KDE 4, I actually saw complete system crashes. I don't remember ever
    seeing a total Linux crash this century, but with KDE 4, I saw them. I'm
    still trying to work out the rhyme and reason to those massive crashes.

    I also found endless small annoyances. Dragging an application icon to the
    taskbar doesn't work; the desktop was amazingly slow; and even when the
    desktop wasn't crashing, it certainly wasn't stable.

    I found that KDE 4.04 was still an absolutely miserable interface.

    I don't care. My experiences with KDE 4.04 has left such a bad taste in my
    mouth that it's going to be a long, long time before I try KDE 4.anything
    again.

  2. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    On Jul 2, 10:24*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/
    >
    > KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad
    > June 25th, 2008
    >
    > I wanted to like KDE 4. I really did. I can't. It is the most annoying GUI
    > (graphical user interface) I've used in years. And, yes, I'm including Vista's
    > slow as sludge Aero in my evaluation.
    >
    > I found KDE 4 to be awful.

    Linux guys don't think user experience. They think bits and bytes.
    KDE is dead. Long live DFS. Long live Flat Fish.

    Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer,
    they hate me, call me, and start shooting at me?

  3. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    Ezekiel wrote:

    Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?

  4. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    "DFS" writes:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?

    He's honest? I like Linux but see no reason to defend the "slopware"
    which taints the repositories and which the "advocates" claim is better
    than the commercial alternatives when it obviously is not.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  5. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?

    Everybody has their threshold for how much they are willing to put up with.
    In his case he saw an app that he likes (KDE) just get worse, and worse and
    worse. At some point reasonable people have to admit the truth and speak up.

    It's rather telling how pretty much everyone that tried KDE 4.x (and I say
    "tried" because very few are actually able to "use" it for any period of
    time.) Anyone who "tried " KDE4.x admits what a useless unstable pile of
    crap it is except here in COLA where it's the greatest fastest and most
    stable software of all time. It all "just works" perfectly for the
    advocates.

  6. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >> Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?
    >>

    > Everybody has their threshold for how much they are willing to put up with.
    > In his case he saw an app that he likes (KDE) just get worse, and worse and
    > worse. At some point reasonable people have to admit the truth and speak up.
    >
    > It's rather telling how pretty much everyone that tried KDE 4.x (and I say
    > "tried" because very few are actually able to "use" it for any period of
    > time.) Anyone who "tried " KDE4.x admits what a useless unstable pile of
    > crap it is except here in COLA where it's the greatest fastest and most
    > stable software of all time. It all "just works" perfectly for the
    > advocates.

    According to Rick KDE 4.0 is not a "final release" so ....

  7. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> "DFS" wrote in message
    >>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?
    >>>

    >> Everybody has their threshold for how much they are willing to put up
    >> with.
    >> In his case he saw an app that he likes (KDE) just get worse, and worse
    >> and
    >> worse. At some point reasonable people have to admit the truth and speak
    >> up.
    >>
    >> It's rather telling how pretty much everyone that tried KDE 4.x (and I
    >> say
    >> "tried" because very few are actually able to "use" it for any period of
    >> time.) Anyone who "tried " KDE4.x admits what a useless unstable pile of
    >> crap it is except here in COLA where it's the greatest fastest and most
    >> stable software of all time. It all "just works" perfectly for the
    >> advocates.

    > According to Rick KDE 4.0 is not a "final release" so ....

    Oh, that's right. In Rick's world there is no such thing as a "final
    release" of anything because some day there will be another version
    released.

  8. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    if the software was not stable, it should not show up in a repository.
    even in SuSE ......

    but the main point is the INTERFACE SUCKS.
    the crash alpha stuff being pushed as beta stuff.

  9. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:24:45 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/
    >
    > KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad
    > June 25th, 2008
    >
    > I wanted to like KDE 4. I really did. I can't. It is the most annoying GUI
    > (graphical user interface) I've used in years. And, yes, I'm including Vista's
    > slow as sludge Aero in my evaluation.
    >
    > I found KDE 4 to be awful.
    >
    > With KDE 4, I actually saw complete system crashes. I don't remember ever
    > seeing a total Linux crash this century, but with KDE 4, I saw them. I'm
    > still trying to work out the rhyme and reason to those massive crashes.
    >
    > I also found endless small annoyances. Dragging an application icon to the
    > taskbar doesn't work; the desktop was amazingly slow; and even when the
    > desktop wasn't crashing, it certainly wasn't stable.
    >
    > I found that KDE 4.04 was still an absolutely miserable interface.
    >
    > I don't care. My experiences with KDE 4.04 has left such a bad taste in my
    > mouth that it's going to be a long, long time before I try KDE 4.anything
    > again.

    But the people here in COLA keep telling us how great kde 4.x is.
    Somebody is lying...........................

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    Psyc Geek wrote:

    >Linux guys don't think

    *plonk*

  11. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > Wonder what made Vaughan-Nichols turn honest so suddenly?

    One more (obvious) thing worth mentioning is that fairness and honesty are
    the best forms of advocacy and I'll give SVN credit for that. Being able to
    honestly discuss both the benefits and perils of a product/technology is
    more likely to attract people than the "fan boi" mentality found here in
    COLA. The dishonesty and hypocrisy of the COLA "advocates" is readily
    apparent and the frothing fan boi attitude is bound to turn more people away
    then it will attract.

  12. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and"awful"

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 10:24:45 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/
    >
    > KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad
    > June 25th, 2008

    (snip)

    Well, Zeke... if ya don't like it, don't use it.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and"awful"

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 07:29:22 -0700, Psyc Geek wrote:

    > On Jul 2, 10:24*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...ust-plain-bad/
    >>
    >> KDE 4.04: Bad, Just Plain Bad
    >> June 25th, 2008
    >>
    >> I wanted to like KDE 4. I really did. I can't. It is the most annoying
    >> GUI (graphical user interface) I've used in years. And, yes, I'm
    >> including Vista's slow as sludge Aero in my evaluation.
    >>
    >> I found KDE 4 to be awful.

    > Linux guys don't think user experience. They think bits and bytes. KDE
    > is dead. Long live DFS. Long live Flat Fish.
    >
    > Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer, they hate
    > me, call me, and start shooting at me?

    Because you are an idiot, and it has nothing to do with Linux?

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    Psyc Geek wrote:

    > Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer,
    > they hate me, call me, and start shooting at me?

    Your charming personality?

  15. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    On Jul 2, 8:00*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > Psyc Geek wrote:
    > > Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer,
    > > they hate me, call me, and start shooting at me?

    > Your charming personality?

    Dang. It was not Linux. I feel bad now. Sigh.

  16. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 17:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
    <9f7df550-fdd3-4cc3-9674-909b5de53c9d@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jul 2, 8:00*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> Psyc Geek wrote:
    >> > Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer,
    >> > they hate me, call me, and start shooting at me?

    >> Your charming personality?

    > Dang. It was not Linux. I feel bad now. Sigh.

    No, it was a Linux distro, perhaps. Slightly different animal.

    Putting Linux on a computer won't do much, though it depends on how
    one installs it. Yes, yes, I know, I'm being pedantic again:

    [1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.6.25.tar.bz2
    Perfectly safe, all fine, just a 46 MB archive file
    which will sit there and do nothing interesting until
    one actually unpacks and builds it. That is the start
    of it all, as it were.

    [2] /usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage (most systems).
    This is an intermediate image, which cannot be run, but
    which can be further processed. He won't do much, either.
    (I don't know if this contains piggy.o or not.)

    [3] /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
    Another intermediary.

    [4] /vmlinuz (some systems). Now we're getting into
    something a bootloader can understand. The general
    idea is that the bootloader transfers control, and
    /vmlinuz unpacks itself into RAM and starts. The start
    may unpack additional things if they're available,
    such as an initrd ramdisk, though it's unclear to me
    who unpacks what when, as both GRUB and LILO allow/require
    'initrd'. Of course, the kernel will panic if there's
    no /sbin/init or /bin/sh available.

    [5] Various .ko files.
    These are loadable modules. Once the distro gets in a
    certain state, it can be instructed to load a module
    (insmod contains a system call). Until so instructed,
    it's just so much inert code. These can be located
    in the initrd, though more often they're put on the
    hard drive and read after the pivot.

    Of course now I've got to ask you: how many of your
    friends have asked you to install a (legitimate!) copy of
    Microsoft Windows Vista? ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
    elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

  17. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    Because you're a ****ing idiot?

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  18. Re: Steven Vaughan-Nichols - KDE 4.x is "Just plain bad" and "awful"

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 01:31:53 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-07-02, Psyc Geek wrote:
    >>
    >> Why is it, that everytime I put Linux on a friends computer, they hate
    >> me, call me, and start shooting at me?

    > Because you're a ****ing idiot?

    Because it's a stupid troll?

    --
    The little scamps! It's the oldest trick in the book: capture your ship,
    turn it into a planet, then explore a macro universe in a laundry basket.

+ Reply to Thread