CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship. - Linux

This is a discussion on CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship. - Linux ; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/ Desktop Linux maker Xandros is understood to be in the process of buying Linux distributor Linspire. "To me, this looks like Michael [Robertson, Linspire's founder and chief owner], the 'captain' of the Linspire ship, sees the boat sinking, so ...

  1. CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/

    Desktop Linux maker Xandros is understood to be in the process of buying
    Linux distributor Linspire.

    "To me, this looks like Michael [Robertson, Linspire's founder and chief
    owner], the 'captain' of the Linspire ship, sees the boat sinking, so he
    casually tells the passengers on the ship that he's just going on a quick
    supply run, jumps on the only life boat with any cash and valuables, paddles
    off to safety, and leaves everyone else behind to sink. Pathetic," he said
    in a blog post.

    Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007, described
    any such merger as "being a completely insignificant event for Linspire
    shareholders, and the end for Linspire customers". He also accused Robertson
    of being unable to face the "public humiliation that Linspire failed under
    his leadership".

  2. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and desertsthe sinking ship.

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/

    Another Wintroll justifying the abusive monopoly. Nothing to
    see, move along ....

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out anddeserts the sinking ship.

    On Jul 2, 7:13*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/
    >
    > Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007, described

    The Register ("bites the hand that feeds IT") has some good writers,
    that border on being journalist trolls. But there's probably some
    truth to this story (Linux is dead; long live Linux to those die-hard
    faithfuls that live on this board).

    RL

  4. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship.

    On 2008-07-02, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 7:13*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/
    >>
    >> Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007, described

    > The Register ("bites the hand that feeds IT") has some good writers,
    > that border on being journalist trolls. But there's probably some
    > truth to this story (Linux is dead; long live Linux to those die-hard
    > faithfuls that live on this board).

    A distro that started out by tweaking Microsoft over it's trademarks
    (weak though they may be) could obviously be seen as something going no
    where fast. The fact that they finally got bought out is no surprise and
    isn't really news.

    In a free market, companies that provide commodity products come
    and go. That's rather the point of capitalism to begin with.

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship.

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 10:13:51 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/
    >

    > Desktop Linux maker Xandros is understood to be in the process of buying
    > Linux distributor Linspire.

    The only two Linux distributions that actually have a chance of competing
    with Windows on the desktop.
    Forget about Ubuntu because despite the fan bois, the product is riddled
    with bugs that nobody seems able to fix.

    Of course the Linux loons hate Xandros and Linspire because they are too
    cheap to pay for anything, even if it happens to work rather well.

    These same bozos would rather spend weeks trying to make free Linux
    function than spend a few dollars on a version that actually was tested and
    most likely will work.

    > "To me, this looks like Michael [Robertson, Linspire's founder and chief
    > owner], the 'captain' of the Linspire ship, sees the boat sinking, so he
    > casually tells the passengers on the ship that he's just going on a quick
    > supply run, jumps on the only life boat with any cash and valuables, paddles
    > off to safety, and leaves everyone else behind to sink. Pathetic," he said
    > in a blog post.

    He's smart.
    I would do the exact same thing because Linux in general is a turd floating
    in the ocean waiting for someone to pull the chain and send it to the
    bottom.

    > Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007, described
    > any such merger as "being a completely insignificant event for Linspire
    > shareholders, and the end for Linspire customers". He also accused Robertson
    > of being unable to face the "public humiliation that Linspire failed under
    > his leadership".

    Typical.

    Commercial Linux, ie:Xandros/Linspire is really the only kind of Linux that
    can have even a remote chance of unseating Microsoft's desktop stronghold.

    The junk put together by the basement dwellers doesn't stand a chance.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out and deserts the sinking ship.

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-07-02, raylopez99 wrote:
    >> On Jul 2, 7:13 am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007,
    >>> described

    >> The Register ("bites the hand that feeds IT") has some good writers,
    >> that border on being journalist trolls. But there's probably some
    >> truth to this story (Linux is dead; long live Linux to those die-hard
    >> faithfuls that live on this board).

    > A distro that started out by tweaking Microsoft over it's trademarks
    > (weak though they may be)

    So you actually think that Microsoft trademarks are weak?

    I'll tell you this, Microsoft and any company will vigoursly defend it's
    trademarks. They have to because if they don't challenge a trademark
    infringement then it will leave the door open for others to encroach on it's
    name and products. Companies don't have the luxury/option of selectively
    enforcing it's trademarks only in the cases they feel like.

    > could obviously be seen as something going no
    > where fast. The fact that they finally got bought out is no surprise and
    > isn't really news.
    >
    > In a free market, companies that provide commodity products come
    > and go. That's rather the point of capitalism to begin with.
    >
    > --
    >
    > It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.
    >
    > They brought us the email virus.
    >
    > In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    > been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    > http://www.usenet.com

  7. Re: CEO of another failed linux distro (Linspire) sells out anddeserts the sinking ship.

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 07:21:48 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Jul 2, 7:13*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07...buys_linspire/
    >>
    >> Ubuntu-loving Carmony, who left the firm in the summer of 2007,
    >> described

    > The Register ("bites the hand that feeds IT") has some good writers,
    > that border on being journalist trolls. But there's probably some truth
    > to this story (Linux is dead; long live Linux to those die-hard
    > faithfuls that live on this board).
    >
    > RL

    Live on this board? You do know this is Usenet, don't you?

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread