Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a oldersystem? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a oldersystem? - Linux ; On Jul 1, 3:15 am, raylopez99 wrote: > But I wonder, with Ubuntu etc, why would anybody want to use gOS? > What cool features are there and nowhere else? This whole Linux > distro fragmentation makes no sense to ...

  1. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a oldersystem?

    On Jul 1, 3:15 am, raylopez99 wrote:

    > But I wonder, with Ubuntu etc, why would anybody want to use gOS?
    > What cool features are there and nowhere else? This whole Linux
    > distro fragmentation makes no sense to me.
    >
    > RL

    Really the only advantage gOS has over Ubuntu is it works better with
    older hardware and gOS includes "Google Apps" (Google Docs, Google
    Maps, Google News, Google Reader, etc.) in its "Dock" interface.
    There's some software made for Ubuntu that won't work with gOS (TV
    Time doesn't work for me on gOS or any other E17-based distro, but
    Myth TV does...go figure0, but if you're looking for a distro which
    will surf the web and play music and play some games without being too
    taxing on hardware, then gOS might suit your needs.

    The reason I recommend gOS Ultimate E (my customized gOS) over gOS
    Rocket E (the "official" release that thinkgos.com offers) is because
    gOS Ultimate E includes things that makes it way more useable than the
    official gOS. For example, in the official gOS, gnome-system-tools is
    not included so it could be hard for the Linux novice to add new users
    or adjust the date or time, while gOS Ultimate E includes gnome-system-
    tools so you can easily add new users and manage groups. In addition,
    gOS Ult. E also includes gnome-cups-manager (better printing support)
    and gnome-mount for easy mounting of removable drives and other
    partitions. Finally, gOS Ultimate E includes the Thunar file manager
    and xfce4-terminal; Thunar greatly compensates for the shoddy file
    manager included with the official gOS Rocket E (EFM is the worst file
    manager I have ever used since some text-based file manager I used on
    MS-DOS).

  2. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a oldersystem?

    On Jul 1, 6:09*pm, Darth Chaos wrote:

    {STUFF ON gOS DELETED}

    Sounds like a great OS Darth. But for my proposed system (Pentium II
    from over 10 years ago) , it's got too many features I'll never use.

    RL

+ Reply to Thread