Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment? - Linux

This is a discussion on Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment? - Linux ; Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment? They can use a DVD with DSL, Puppy Linux, System Rescue CD, GParted, Ubuntu and a few other distros that boot and run from LiveCD. The bigger distros should have bare ...

  1. Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    They can use a DVD with DSL, Puppy Linux, System Rescue CD,
    GParted, Ubuntu and a few other distros that boot and run from LiveCD.
    The bigger distros should have bare minimum such as Open Office,
    Games like Torcs, Nexuiz etc, education stuff like xmaxima, Rasmol,
    CAD like QCad, K-3D, Gimp for photos, Seamonkey to create
    and maintain websites, GAMBAS2 and gcc for writing software,
    and K3b for burning CDs.

    At a cost of 10 cents, it not only boosts system builders to diagnose PCs
    but also helps all the punters avoid installing boot leg copies
    of proprietory software and reduce piracy.

    People like the BSA, Appil fools, Micoshaft dummies, Oricle unbreakable
    idiots etc who regularly asstroturf here should pressure manufacturers to
    spend the 10 cents to reduce piratical behaviour of nefarious motherboard
    buyers and nincompoopic system builders.

  2. Re: Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:24:57 GMT
    :
    > Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    No. There should be no special treatment. Granted,
    the idea isn't that bad of one, especially considering
    Microsoft's history; the trouble is that showing favoritism
    sets a bad precedent, helpful as the notion is otherwise.

    Ask yourself the question: should we bundle a Vista CD
    installation kit with every shipment?

    At best, one might provide some general instructions
    and a list of possible OS suppliers, Microsoft among them.
    (The list should probably be in alphabetical order ;-) .)
    Ideally one would include a parts list as well, indicating
    details on each and every component, board, and chip that
    drivers might be interested in. (Once Linux is installed,
    one can install lspci and/or hwinfo as well, to generate
    such a printout, of course. I don't know how well the
    Windows "Device Manager" variant works. I have no idea
    what FreeBSD has.)

    There's also the issue of which distro -- one might leave
    that up to the company, which will probably want to select
    a distro after internal wrangling. Of course Microsoft
    will probably get into the act (like it's not already?) and
    mess up the works.

    Also, how does one distinguish a Linux or BSD distro
    from a Microsoft one, legally speaking? AFAIK, special
    exemptions in the law are frowned upon severely, though
    there is apparently a subindustry of careful law-writers
    who write such convoluted language that it only applies
    to one specific company, which is not actually named in
    the law.

    Best I can do is distinguish profit-driven enterprises
    (RedHat, Novell SuSE, Microsoft) from not-for-profit
    (Debian, Gentoo, FreeBSD, Fedora) and require a disc
    from the latter, and even then Fedora might be a bit of
    a gray area.

    > They can use a DVD with DSL, Puppy Linux, System Rescue CD,
    > GParted, Ubuntu and a few other distros that boot and run from LiveCD.

    They will boot, but there's a number of issues regarding
    running, mostly because one can't make config changes that
    survive a reboot. Admittedly, this might work for bigger
    companies with LDAP capability and a lot of cloneboxes,
    if one generates a custom CD/DVD that can use that for
    authentication. (PAM in particular wouldn't have a problem
    with it. I'm tempted to try it in a QEMU box. Gentoo,
    and presumably lots of other distros [including Vista,
    though I don't know how well!], can autodetect hardware
    anyway, so cloning isn't an absolute requirement; it does slow
    down the boot process, though.)

    > The bigger distros should have bare minimum such as Open Office,
    > Games like Torcs, Nexuiz etc, education stuff like xmaxima, Rasmol,
    > CAD like QCad, K-3D, Gimp for photos, Seamonkey to create
    > and maintain websites, GAMBAS2 and gcc for writing software,
    > and K3b for burning CDs.
    >
    > At a cost of 10 cents, it not only boosts system builders to diagnose PCs
    > but also helps all the punters avoid installing boot leg copies
    > of proprietory software and reduce piracy.

    The main problem: Microsoft may cry foul. It's still
    a gorilla, after all.

    As for diagnosing PCs....one *can* add a diagnostics disc.
    This disc might have memtest and a few other things.

    > People like the BSA, Appil fools, Micoshaft dummies, Oricle unbreakable
    > idiots etc who regularly asstroturf here should pressure manufacturers to
    > spend the 10 cents to reduce piratical behaviour of nefarious motherboard
    > buyers and nincompoopic system builders.

    I could think of worse ways of spending 10cents a unit,
    but remember this is the same industry that spawned the
    idea of a Winmodem because they didn't want to buy an
    extra UART per unit.

    Both my Athlon and my nx9010 have one (different models).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. It'll Fix Everything(tm).

  3. Re: Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > No. *There should be no special treatment.

    Not at all like OEM Windows being bundled with new computers.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  4. Re: Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:24:57 GMT, 7 wrote:

    > Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    Microsoft should bundle a Ubuntu LiveCD with every pre load and every Vista
    shrink wrap.

    Once people try Linux, Microsoft will no longer have to worry about the
    remote possibility that Linux might actually catch on with desktop users.

    I sent them this suggestion a while ago.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >
    > wrote
    > on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:24:57 GMT
    > :
    >> Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    > No. There should be no special treatment. Granted,
    > the idea isn't that bad of one, especially considering
    > Microsoft's history; the trouble is that showing favoritism
    > sets a bad precedent, helpful as the notion is otherwise.

    Have you ever left the CD that comes with your MB in the drive? The last 3
    motherboards that I have assembled, boots to FreeDos, though I'm not sure
    if it was installable on the PC.

  6. Re: Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, QuantumLeaper

    wrote
    on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 21:54:52 GMT
    :

    > "The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in message
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:24:57 GMT
    >> :
    >>> Should Motherboard makers bundle Linux CD with every shipment?

    >> No. There should be no special treatment. Granted,
    >> the idea isn't that bad of one, especially considering
    >> Microsoft's history; the trouble is that showing favoritism
    >> sets a bad precedent, helpful as the notion is otherwise.
    >>

    > Have you ever left the CD that comes with your MB in the drive?
    > The last 3 motherboards that I have assembled, boots to FreeDos,
    > though I'm not sure if it was installable on the PC.

    Lately, my systems have been used and preassembled.
    The Athlon was a weird one in that they wiped Windows
    from it for me (and gave me a credit to boot). In fact,
    I've not bought a truly new system in some time; the last
    three systems (Athlon, Kayak, nx9010) have all been used.

    As for FreeDOS being installable...don't see why not.
    Of course it's still a piece of junk; one can't replace
    a payware DOS with a freeware DOS and expect it to do
    miracles such as multitasking. ;-) Still, it's mildly
    interesting stuff, and presumably easily hackable for
    those that know how.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Because it's not a question of if.
    It's a question of when.