[News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista

    Windows Vista, meet my Mother-In-Law.

    ,----[ Quot ]
    | “What the hell is wrong with this computer? I thought you said a Lenovo
    | ThinkPad was a nice machine when you had me buy it only a few months ago.”
    |
    | “It is a nice machine, Mom, it’s the same kind I have. It’s just that you
    | happen to be using Windows Vista, which is a piece of crap.”
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9204

    Recent:

    Everybody Hates Vista

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But only if Microsoft stops plugging its ears.
    `----

    http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...tes-vista.aspx

    Microsoft struggles to get act together

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In an effort to satisfy the throngs of dissatisfied Vista users, several
    | major PC manufacturers have taken advantage of the downgrade rights provided
    | by Microsoft to the Business and Ultimate Vista suites. The clause, which is
    | part of the licensing agreement, states that if a customer specifically
    | requests it, PC makers may ship machines pre-installed with XP, with the *
    | option to upgrade to Vista for free, if they should they choose to at some
    | point down the road. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Of course, all of this just prompts the question: Why not just return to the
    | old layout everyone in the world of technology knew and understood!? Like
    | grandpappy always said: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” *
    `----

    http://uweekly.com/newsmag/04-30-2008/8344

    Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
    | market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
    | doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
    | maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
    | forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
    | revenue significantly."
    `----

    http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

    Microsoft’s elephant in the OS room: Apple

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft’s three reasons for the client malaise are all legitimate. What’s
    | curious is that piracy–always a big deal for Microsoft–was mentioned 12 times
    | on the conference call by CFO Christopher Liddell and analysts, who were
    | following the software giant’s lead. The takeaway: Microsoft is facing tough
    | growth comparisons and any blip in piracy levels can be the difference
    | between Vista and XP hitting Wall Street targets. If Microsoft didn’t need
    | that extra percent of growth or two it’s unlikely we’d get a conference call
    | where piracy chatter was dominant. * * *
    |
    | Also see: Salesforce dumping 4,000 PCs for Macs?
    |
    | But let’s dig deeper: Could it be that the real elephant in the room was
    | Apple? Let’s be real: Apple isn’t taking over operating system dominance, but
    | it is fast enough to take away a few incremental dollars from Microsoft. *
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8614&tag=nl.e589

    Is Vista to Blame for Windows Revenue Drop?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft said this week that Windows revenues during the first three months
    | of 2008 were down nearly 24% from the same period last year.
    |
    | One analyst argued that the decline is more evidence that the company is
    | having trouble convincing users of Windows Vista's value.
    |
    | "More than a year has passed since the rollout of Vista to both the business
    | and consumer markets, and experiencing revenue declines so early in the
    | product lifecycle is not a positive sign," said Allan Krans, an analyst with
    | Technology Business Research. *
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista Until They Try Linux..... (was: [News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista)

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:03:21 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Windows Vista, meet my Mother-In-Law.
    >
    > ,----[ Quot ]
    >| What the hell is wrong with this computer? I thought you said a Lenovo
    >| ThinkPad was a nice machine when you had me buy it only a few months ago.
    >|
    >| It is a nice machine, Mom, its the same kind I have. Its just that you
    >| happen to be using Windows Vista, which is a piece of crap.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9204

    Good thing she wasn't given this Lenovo Thinkpad running LINUX...

    Notice all the stuff that DOES NOT WORK....

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    " After the initial boot and logon, we were faced with a clean,
    well-organized desktop, but one element caught our eye right awayXa text
    document called ThinkPad Readme.txt. We launched it and found that the
    documents first line was Limitations, Workarounds and How Tos for
    SLED10. We did not like the sound of that limitations element. After
    all, isnt Linux supposed to be about overcoming limitations?

    The first part of the document covered features not supported. Some of
    those features are:

    * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    From our point of view, Lenovo was not off to a good start. "

    Yes, another *quality* Linux loaded brick.....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista

    ____/ Homer on Wednesday 02 July 2008 04:35 : \____

    >> Windows Vista, meet my Mother-In-Law.
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | "What the hell is wrong with this computer? I thought you said a
    >> | Lenovo ThinkPad was a nice machine when you had me buy it only a
    >> | few months ago."
    >> |
    >> | "It is a nice machine, Mom, it's the same kind I have. It's just
    >> | that you happen to be using Windows Vista, which is a piece of
    >> | crap."
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9204

    > It occurs to me that a lot of OEMs must be royally pissed off that their
    > reputations are suffering (albeit through mis-attribution) because of
    > Vista, given that the PeeCee-using masses can't distinguish between the
    > OS and the hardware it runs on.
    >
    > Maybe they should consider an alternative.
    >
    > Oh wait...

    People recognise their computer as "a computer", a box. What comes with it
    (Windows) is assumed to be "that thing which runs on the computer". If it
    refuses to work, as in the case of Vista, they blame the OEM. That's why Dell
    insists on making XP available and visible and along with other OEMs it began
    selling GNU/Linux.

    Microsoft is having a rough time at the moment *and* it struggles to hide this.
    I can't wait until the quarterly report (coming soon). We'll see them
    stretching and cooking the books again.

    Remember that Microsoft bought some large companies and their employees, so
    what you don't want to look at is bottom-line revenue (the cash reserves were
    spent to acquire some). Watch the sales of Windows and Office, which are the
    only /relevant/ products that are actually profitable. My guess is that there
    will be a double-digit drop just like in the previous quarter. Microsoft and
    its Munchkins will try to use revenue as a distraction (it's a bit like stock
    price amid aggressive buybacks) and blame 'piracy' for the drop in sales.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
    08:00:03 up 78 days, 6:12, 7 users, load average: 1.07, 1.75, 1.83

+ Reply to Thread