[News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux - Linux

  2. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Support for 100+ webcams in Linux 2.6.27 (USB Video Class Driver)
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to a thread on the Linux uvcvideo driver mailing list if
    > everything
    > | goes well we will see it included in the 2.6.27 kernel!

    One side of "advocates" mouth: Webcam support in linux is great and they all
    "just work."

    Other side of "advocates" mouth: Don't worry... it'll all be fixed when the
    next kernel is released.

  3. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    On 2008-07-01, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Support for 100+ webcams in Linux 2.6.27 (USB Video Class Driver)
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | According to a thread on the Linux uvcvideo driver mailing list if
    >> everything
    >> | goes well we will see it included in the 2.6.27 kernel!
    >> |

    > One side of "advocates" mouth: Webcam support in linux is great and they all
    > "just work."

    No, that claim only comes up when you need some false strawman to knock down...

    > Other side of "advocates" mouth: Don't worry... it'll all be fixed when the
    > next kernel is released.

    That would be the next minor version release. This isn't like we're talkinga
    about 2.0 vs. 2.2 here.

    If you guys had a little imagination or weren't such mundane Windows users
    yourself you would have picked up on this sort of thing by now rather than trying
    to troll UbuntuForums for malcontents.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  4. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-01, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Support for 100+ webcams in Linux 2.6.27 (USB Video Class Driver)
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> everything
    >>> |

    >> One side of "advocates" mouth: Webcam support in linux is great and they all
    >> "just work."

    > No, that claim only comes up when you need some false strawman to knock down...
    >

    >> Other side of "advocates" mouth: Don't worry... it'll all be fixed when the
    >> next kernel is released.

    > That would be the next minor version release. This isn't like we're talkinga
    > about 2.0 vs. 2.2 here.
    >
    > If you guys had a little imagination or weren't such mundane Windows users
    > yourself you would have picked up on this sort of thing by now rather than trying
    > to troll UbuntuForums for malcontents.

    Q: does any part of Jebs latest rambling make any sense at all?

    --
    "The even stupider thing about it is, these morons really believe that
    threatening people will fire and brimstone will "convert" them."

  5. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:24:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:
    >
    >> On 2008-07-01, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    >>> One side of "advocates" mouth: Webcam support in linux is great and they all
    >>> "just work."

    >> No, that claim only comes up when you need some false strawman to knock down...
    >>

    >>> Other side of "advocates" mouth: Don't worry... it'll all be fixed when the
    >>> next kernel is released.

    >> That would be the next minor version release. This isn't like we're talkinga
    >> about 2.0 vs. 2.2 here.
    >>
    >> If you guys had a little imagination or weren't such mundane Windows users
    >> yourself you would have picked up on this sort of thing by now rather than trying
    >> to troll UbuntuForums for malcontents.

    > Q: does any part of Jebs latest rambling make any sense at all?

    Nope.

    I rarely read what Jebbediah writes because it's a total waste of time.
    He talks in circles.

    He must have been a philosophy major in school.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:57:39 -0400
    <5bqpv6emz3r4$.1pv7so66q58g0.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:24:17 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> No, that claim only comes up when you need some false strawman to knock down...

    >>> That would be the next minor version release. This isn't like we're talkinga
    >>> about 2.0 vs. 2.2 here.
    >>>
    >>> If you guys had a little imagination or weren't such mundane Windows users
    >>> yourself you would have picked up on this sort of thing by now rather than trying
    >>> to troll UbuntuForums for malcontents.

    >> Q: does any part of Jebs latest rambling make any sense at all?

    > Nope.
    >
    > I rarely read what Jebbediah writes because it's a total waste of time.
    > He talks in circles.
    >
    > He must have been a philosophy major in school.

    The greatest lie is self-delusion. Keep that in mind;
    it applies to both sides.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random double-edged sword here
    Linux sucks efficiently, but Windows just blows around
    a lot of hot air and vapor.

  7. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:57:39 -0400
    > <5bqpv6emz3r4$.1pv7so66q58g0.dlg@40tude.net>:

    >>> Q: does any part of Jebs latest rambling make any sense at all?

    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> I rarely read what Jebbediah writes because it's a total waste of time.
    >> He talks in circles.
    >>
    >> He must have been a philosophy major in school.
    >>

    > The greatest lie is self-delusion. Keep that in mind;
    > it applies to both sides.

    Jeb would have been proud of that. Did you just pick it up from a
    fortune cookie?

    --
    It explains a lot. I've not heard of anyone I know, anywhere, buying XP,
    and I've not seen it sold whilst I've been in any shops.

  8. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:31:47 +0200
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    [snippage]

    >> The greatest lie is self-delusion. Keep that in mind;
    >> it applies to both sides.

    > Jeb would have been proud of that. Did you just pick it up from a
    > fortune cookie?

    Somebody has to write them. :-P

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
    while(bit&BITMASK) ;

  9. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:38:19 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:31:47 +0200
    > :
    >> The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    > [snippage]
    >
    >>> The greatest lie is self-delusion. Keep that in mind;
    >>> it applies to both sides.

    >> Jeb would have been proud of that. Did you just pick it up from a
    >> fortune cookie?
    >>

    > Somebody has to write them. :-P

    You may not like or agree with what I write, but at least I actually *write
    something*...
    Jebbediah talks in circles.

    Example: Linux tends to be unstable on my P4 system...
    Jeb: Unstable can be a function of some other process going on.

    or such....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:

    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:38:19 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:31:47 +0200
    >> :
    >>> The Ghost In The Machine writes:

    >> [snippage]

    >>> Jeb would have been proud of that. Did you just pick it up from a
    >>> fortune cookie?
    >>>

    >> Somebody has to write them. :-P

    > You may not like or agree with what I write, but at least I actually *write
    > something*...
    > Jebbediah talks in circles.
    >
    > Example: Linux tends to be unstable on my P4 system...
    > Jeb: Unstable can be a function of some other process going on.
    >
    > or such....

    Heh! Good one.

    --
    "Unfortunately, once again, the user-unfriendly dirtware sucks so bad it's
    hard to prove how bad it sucks."

  11. Re: [News] Significant Webcam Support Improvement Coming to Linux

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron

    wrote
    on Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:58:11 +0200
    :
    > "Moshe Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:38:19 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:31:47 +0200
    >>> :
    >>>
    >>> [snippage]

    >>> Somebody has to write them. :-P

    >> You may not like or agree with what I write, but at least I actually *write
    >> something*...
    >> Jebbediah talks in circles.
    >>
    >> Example: Linux tends to be unstable on my P4 system...
    >> Jeb: Unstable can be a function of some other process going on.
    >>
    >> or such....

    > Heh! Good one.

    Well, maybe between the two of you there might actually
    be some additional information as to the root cause of
    this instability? Or at least how to elicit the symptoms?

    Saying "a system is unstable" doesn't help a whole lot.

    I once installed some RAM on my Athlon and it started
    behaving in little, peculiar ways. Memtest identified it
    as a problem with the RAM. I've also had Linux fail in
    little, peculiar ways on another system, long ago; that was
    also a hardware problem (probably an underpowered machine,
    and I mean that literally -- overdrawn power supplies can
    cause a fair amount of strangeness).

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}