    http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png

    Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

  2. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:40:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >

    > Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    You enjoy being a jerk, don't you?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On 2008-07-01, DFS wrote:
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >

    > Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    So what. Don't cream yourself for no reason here...

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  4. Re: Linux: so stylish

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:40:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >>
    >> Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    > You enjoy being a jerk, don't you?

    The poor idiot didn't even know enough to install gdm-themes. Tsk tsk.

    I wonder what he thinks of Windows' log-on screen then!

    --
    A day for firm decisions!!!!! Or is it?

  5. Re: Linux: so stylish

    "DFS" wrote in message
    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >

    > Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    OT but I noticed that you 're running this in a virtual machine using
    virtual box. At work we have VMWare licenses and it works great. I'd like to
    run VMWare at home but it's a bit pricey for personal use.

    So what are your thoughts and opinions on virtual box?

    - ss

  6. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:58:17 -0400, Subway steel wrote:

    > "DFS" wrote in message
    >> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >>

    >> Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.
    >>

    > OT but I noticed that you 're running this in a virtual machine using
    > virtual box. At work we have VMWare licenses and it works great. I'd
    > like to run VMWare at home but it's a bit pricey for personal use.
    >
    > So what are your thoughts and opinions on virtual box?
    >
    > - ss

    I know you didn't ask me, but ...

    I have both installed. VMWare Workstation install looks a little more
    complicated than VBox's, but not if you just take the defaults. VBox
    seems to run slightly slower to me. I hadn't noticed until I tried to
    install opensuse 10.3 on VMWare. The install chocked. I have no idea why.
    It installed on VBox. Screen drawing seemed slower, as well as opening
    apps, even after installing guest tools. To be fair I was comparing
    opensuse 10.3/VBox with opensuse 11/VMWare workstation.

    Out of the box, VMWorkstation uses bridged networking so your VMs look
    like they are on the same part of the network as the physical machines.
    Out of the box, VBox VMs are behind a built in software router. You can
    use bridged networking, but it is more involved.

    If you want to run VMware, you can DL VMWare Server to make VMs, or you
    can use other means. You can use VMWare Player to run you machines, but
    you can't alter you machines from Player. You can from server.

    Most distros include only the OSE version of VBox. You can DL the full
    version for free for personal use from virtualbox.org.

    I hope most of this was helpful.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:40:24 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >

    > Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    That looks awful.

    That is one reason why people dump Linux so fast, it makes a horrible first
    impression as far as looks are concerned.

    Then of course they start trying the applications and they realize it
    doesn't get any better so good bye Linux.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On 2008-07-01, Linonut wrote:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:40:24 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dfs0/Debian_eyecandy.png
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes, using Linux dirtware is like stepping back in time 30 years.

    >> You enjoy being a jerk, don't you?

    > The poor idiot didn't even know enough to install gdm-themes. Tsk tsk.
    >
    > I wonder what he thinks of Windows' log-on screen then!

    He doesn't care as long as he can misrepresent Linux and troll.

  9. Re: Linux: so stylish

    Donovan Hill wrote:

    > He doesn't care as long as he can misrepresent Linux and troll.

    Let's face it. He has no life. And the feeding and care of his Windows
    addiction takes up what little time he has left after his rounds of spewing
    in COLA. He's tired and cranky, give him a break, the poor pitiful bastard.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  10. Re: Linux: so stylish

    On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:05:40 -0500, Donovan Hill wrote:

    > On 2008-07-01, Linonut wrote:
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> You enjoy being a jerk, don't you?

    >> The poor idiot didn't even know enough to install gdm-themes. Tsk tsk.
    >>
    >> I wonder what he thinks of Windows' log-on screen then!
    >>

    > He doesn't care as long as he can misrepresent Linux and troll.

    It doesn't matter a *hill* of beans, Donovan.......

    Why?

    Because the average user isn't going to know to install some crazy them
    package either.

    They will look at the installed system, which will look like crap as the
    screenshots show, and their first impression will be a negative one.

    Chances are good, Linux will be unloaded from yet another system.

    First impressions count for a lot and that screenshot certainly leaves the
    audience wanting less.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: