Universal Package Manager System for Linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Universal Package Manager System for Linux? - Linux ; John Hasler writes: > Jasen writes: >> If you install gpm (a console-based service) it offers (and >> reccomends) restarting X. > > This is because it used to be necessary to use gpm as a repeater for X in ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 63 of 63

  1. Re: Universal Package Manager System for Linux?

    John Hasler writes:

    > Jasen writes:
    >> If you install gpm (a console-based service) it offers (and
    >> reccomends) restarting X.

    > This is because it used to be necessary to use gpm as a repeater for X in
    > order to get gpm and X to play together nicely. I believe (but am not
    > certain) that this is no longer necessary.

    It's definitely no longer necessary with the new kernel input layer.
    Both gpm and X can use the same device under /dev/input, and the
    repeater is no longer needed.

    --
    .''`. Roger Leigh

  2. Re: Universal Package Manager System for Linux?

    Jasen Betts writes:
    > On 2008-07-03, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
    >> John Hasler writes:
    >>>
    >>> What problem?

    >>> What Linux applications have you found to kill things when installed?

    >> This is not an experience of me, either. I am Debian user since 1998
    >> (SuSE and RH before that) and no new installation of anything or
    >> upgrade of an existing something has ever terminated an application I
    >> was using on its own.

    > various library upgrades will restart services, but this never seems
    > to effect applications that are using those services - most apps can
    > handle the service being restarted

    For a server, this will usually affect the listening process only.
    And the upgrade system asks before doing so (at least when configured
    to always ask any questions).

    > If you install gpm (a console-based service) it offers (and
    > reccomends) restarting X.

    Most people will have little use for a VT with mouse support (except
    Norton Commander diehards, I guess :-). I remember that I have played
    around with this program at the time the computer I was using could
    support either X or (La)TeX (171M disk) but I didn't even really use
    it then (although I usually don't bother to start X to just have look
    at my e-mail ...).

  3. Re: Universal Package Manager System for Linux?

    Keep Linux free
    Spam and smoke free as well

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2008-07-01, tsaar2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > In my opinion, the ultimate goal should be that each and every main
    > > Linux (and BSD) distro would use the same universal and unified
    > > package management system, so that the end-user would always have the
    > > same experience no matter what distro one uses.

    > The distros are supposed to be different.
    >
    > this is what GPL is all about.
    >

    > Bye.
    > JasenKeep Linux free

+ Reply to Thread