[News] Software Developers Reject Software Patents; USPTO is Broken - Linux

  1. [News] Software Developers Reject Software Patents; USPTO is Broken

    What’s Wrong with Software Patents?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Surveys regularly find that computer programmers are opposed to patents on
    | software by a wide margin. In what other field is the class of inventors so
    | opposed to patents?
    `----

    http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2008...wrong-wit.html

    Business bookshelf: Patent system hinders innovation

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The U.S. patent system is not working. It stands accused on all sides of
    | stifling innovation instead of nurturing it. Some critics say the system is
    | fundamentally wrecked, others that it can be fixed.
    |
    | In this new book, "Patent Failure: How Judges, Bureaucrats, and Lawyers Put
    | Innovation at Risk," economist James Bessen and law academic Michael Meurer
    | show that the system no longer provides predictable property rights. They go
    | on to offer solutions based on empirical evidence from history, law and
    | economics.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | While making these criticisms, however, the authors ignore that the fault may
    | lie with the appointment of judges who are unfamiliar with patents to hear
    | patent trials.
    `----

    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7882576.story

    Related:

    [KDE developer:] stupid patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Many of Apple's concepts such as icons stacks, parabolic zooming in panels
    | and (most recently) widgets on media centers that they seem to feel are
    | patentable are either unoriginal or just plain trivial. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Future society will look back upon us and cluck their tongue at how stupid we
    | were for having let the patent system encroach upon things such as software
    | on the one hand and become so baroque a system as to be generally lacking
    | usefulness on the other. *
    `----

    http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/02/stupid-patents.html

  2. Re: [News] Software Developers Reject Software Patents; USPTO is Broken

  3. Re: [News] Software Developers Reject Software Patents; USPTO is Broken

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> What's Wrong with Software Patents?

    > It's counter-productive to both efficiency and academic principles,
    > since it inhibits the reuse of mathematical solutions, thus forcing
    > people to waste time reinventing them, rather than learning and
    > advancing the development of both science and business.

    And even if they reinvent them, they are still subject to litigation.

    --
    Used staples are good with SOY SAUCE!

+ Reply to Thread