Is there a market for an open source router? - Linux

This is a discussion on Is there a market for an open source router? - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer wrote on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:58:08 +0100 : > Verily I say unto thee, that Doug McIntyre spake thusly: > >> But you do have to license the stateful inspection FW feature. > > Licensed from ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: Is there a market for an open source router?

    <1bbqj5-5n1.ln1@sky.matrix>:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Doug McIntyre spake thusly:
    >
    >> But you do have to license the stateful inspection FW feature.

    > Licensed from whom?

    AFAICT, Cisco. Google coughed up

    http://www.elara.ie/products/details...ode=MME6778043

    which might be relevant. Pricey beast.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because it's not the desktop that's
    important, it's the ability to DO something
    with it.

  2. Re: Is there a market for an open source router?

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:29:39 +0000 (UTC), Rod Dorman wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >>On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:00:54 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>> Jebbediah talks like that crazy professor in the old made for TV
    >>> Superman series with Jim Reeve.

    >>What Superman show with Jim Reeve?

    > He spelled George Reeves incorrectly.

    Ooops!
    You are correct!

    I was getting mixed up with the country western singer.

    Thanks!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Is there a market for an open source router?

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:04:46 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Oh I see. He's talking about /buying/ a /product/.

    A concept that is totally foreign to the cheapskate Linux users.
    Ask Loki for details.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Is there a market for an open source router?

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:07:13 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > "While Cisco accidentally created an open source router a few years
    > ago, getting caught with Linux in its Linksys, the company never
    > exploited this as a feature, but treated it as a bug, blaming chip
    > supplier Broadcom.
    >
    > Netgear is definitely treating this as a feature."
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2612&tag=nl.e550

    There certainly is a market. Not for me, though. It seems like i'm the
    only person in the world that wants various features from my routers. It
    doesn't seem too much to ask.

    What I want:

    1) Multi-wan support with failover only (not load-balancing with failover)
    2) Transparent DMZ support (bridging)
    3) Many:1 NAT support
    4) 1:1 NAT support
    5) All of the above at the same time (meaning some addresses mapped 1:!,
    some many:1, some bridged) and this *is* possible, i've done it on
    commercial routers.
    6) Source Based Routing
    7) SIP/RTP Proxy functioality (that works with the failover)

    I have yet to find a single open source Firewall/router that supports all
    these features. I don't even care if it has a nice GUI (though that would
    be nice).

    Routers like ipcop and smoothwall express don't do bridging (though the
    commercial smoothwall does, but firewall vendors nickel and dime you to
    death. I don't mind buying, but i want it to be a one-time cost).

    I have yet to find an open source router that does SIP/RTP proxying (though
    with some you could hack it in if you wanted). I'm looking for something
    that just does this out of the box (so to speak) without having to piece it
    together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2