Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system? - Linux ; On Jul 2, 10:48 am, Psyc Geek wrote: > for the 2nd time, get the atari os. > you can get one at a swap meet for about 50 cents. > the atari may work too. they have word processing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

  1. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older?system?

    On Jul 2, 10:48 am, Psyc Geek wrote:
    > for the 2nd time, get the atari os.
    > you can get one at a swap meet for about 50 cents.
    > the atari may work too. they have word processing built in.
    >
    > geeze. read the replies.

    lol

    Funny thing about the Atari OS. The Tramiels were such glory hogs that
    they named the OS after them (TOS stands for Tramiel Operating
    System), and the ST in Atari ST supposedly was taken from Sam
    Tramiel's initials. Why they would name a computer after the most
    inept person to ever run a company into the ground (and Sam Tramiel
    was exactly that), I will never know.

  2. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older ?system?

    On 2008-07-02, Darth Chaos wrote:
    > On Jul 2, 10:48 am, Psyc Geek wrote:
    >> for the 2nd time, get the atari os.
    >> you can get one at a swap meet for about 50 cents.
    >> the atari may work too. they have word processing built in.

    You are confused.

    Now, if you really wanted to you could run GEM on an old PC.
    However, that's something slightly different than TOS. The GEM
    that ran on the Atari was in some ways better and in some ways
    worse than the version straight from DR.

    The Atari version didn't come with "word processing built in".

    Atari did bundle a word processor though.

    --

    The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
    Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.

  3. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:13:10 -0700 (PDT)
    <02a6906e-c8db-4a28-adf4-7305b0a5f7c1@c58g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jul 2, 4:16*am, Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >>
    >> Owner/Proprietor, Cheesus Crust Pizza Company
    >> Good to the last supper

    > ^ ^ ^ that's blasphemy. You're going to hell.
    >
    > RL

    http://www.markfiore.com/what_if_0

    :-)

    (Specific to the US elections and not strictly speaking
    relevant to Linux, I know...but many will consider it
    blasphemy, and many others will see through Mr. Fiore's
    editorial message and note the blasphemy of the "Religious
    Right". In its way, Linux is also blasphemous; it
    challenges what many consider to be the One True Operating
    System, which is Microsoft Windows. Never mind that there
    are a lot more computer types than the desktop PC. Never
    mind that Win 3.1 is/was quite different from Vista.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable

  4. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older ?system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Darth Chaos

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:00:52 -0700 (PDT)
    <656eecf1-8e2b-4779-87ba-fdd773ca697a@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jul 2, 10:48 am, Psyc Geek wrote:
    >> for the 2nd time, get the atari os.
    >> you can get one at a swap meet for about 50 cents.
    >> the atari may work too. they have word processing built in.
    >>
    >> geeze. read the replies.

    > lol
    >
    > Funny thing about the Atari OS. The Tramiels were such glory hogs that
    > they named the OS after them (TOS stands for Tramiel Operating
    > System), and the ST in Atari ST supposedly was taken from Sam
    > Tramiel's initials. Why they would name a computer after the most
    > inept person to ever run a company into the ground (and Sam Tramiel
    > was exactly that), I will never know.

    Unfortunately, they outlasted Commodore, though.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2