    Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.
    Want fries with that shake?

  2. Re: Let us just admit.

    On 2008-06-30, Psyc Geek wrote:

    > Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.
    > Want fries with that shake?

    Fortunately, for such people there's Apple.

    Been pushing that idea for years in this very forum.

    Linux not cutting the mustard for you? Visit the local Apple store.

    Buy the product designed to be excellent rather
    than one intended to enable world domination.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  3. Re: Let us just admit.

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:48:20 -0700, Psyc Geek wrote:

    > Linux is not perfect,

    No, it isn't.

    > but it is perfect for some people.

    I think that is going a little far. Everything can be improved.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: Let us just admit.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Psyc Geek

    wrote
    on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:48:20 -0700 (PDT)
    <8210e41a-d0f1-487f-8d4a-eccd4d7fe780@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:

    > Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.

    Define "perfect"...but you're quite correct; it (plus
    additional utilities/applications/software) works for many
    of us here in COLA.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #889123:
    std::vector<...> v; for(int i = 0; i < v.size(); i++) v.erase(v.begin() + i);

  5. Re: Let us just admit.

    Psyc Geek wrote:

    >Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.

    If we're going to go "on the record" with bold statments, why not use
    accurate language?

    Linux is the best available solution, for large segments of the
    market.

  6. Re: Let us just admit.

    chrisv wrote:
    > Psyc Geek wrote:
    >
    >> Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.

    > If we're going to go "on the record" with bold statments, why not use
    > accurate language?
    >
    > Linux is the best available solution, for large segments of the
    > market.

    You said 'accurate language' then you made a liar of yourself.

    Linux is the WORST available solution for practically everyone on the planet
    who uses a desktop computer.

  7. Re: Let us just admit.

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:58:06 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Psyc Geek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.

    >> If we're going to go "on the record" with bold statments, why not use
    >> accurate language?
    >>
    >> Linux is the best available solution, for large segments of the
    >> market.

    > You said 'accurate language' then you made a liar of yourself.
    >
    > Linux is the WORST available solution for practically everyone on the planet
    > who uses a desktop computer.

    No question about it.....
    The numbers back that statement up nicely.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Let us just admit.

    On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    > chrisv wrote:
    >> Psyc Geek wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux is not perfect, but it is perfect for some people.

    >> If we're going to go "on the record" with bold statments, why not use
    >> accurate language?
    >>
    >> Linux is the best available solution, for large segments of the
    >> market.

    > You said 'accurate language' then you made a liar of yourself.
    >
    > Linux is the WORST available solution for practically everyone on the planet
    > who uses a desktop computer.

    If you want to be "accurate", then you must admit that the vast majority
    of people on the planet would barely notice if you secretly traded out
    their Windows boxes for a Mac or Linux.

    "fear of being incompatable" has driven Microsoft marketshare for over 20 years.

    --

    It is not true that Microsoft doesn't innovate.

    They brought us the email virus.

    In my Atari days, such a notion would have |||
    been considered a complete absurdity. / | \

    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Re: Let us just admit.

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:14:02 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-02, DFS wrote:
    >> chrisv wrote:

    >>> If we're going to go "on the record" with bold statments, why not use
    >>> accurate language?
    >>>
    >>> Linux is the best available solution, for large segments of the
    >>> market.

    >> You said 'accurate language' then you made a liar of yourself.
    >>
    >> Linux is the WORST available solution for practically everyone on the planet
    >> who uses a desktop computer.

    > If you want to be "accurate", then you must admit that the vast majority
    > of people on the planet would barely notice if you secretly traded out
    > their Windows boxes for a Mac or Linux.

    For surfing, email, occasional letter writing, probably not.
    As soon as they went to hook up their digital camera, iPod, wireless router
    or tried to visit the iTunes store they would know.

    Then when they went to plan their latest excursion to download to their GPS
    unit, they would know.

    When they went to run software that their children bring home from school,
    like SAT prep software, they would know.

    When they started college and the school sends out the requirements for
    student computers, they would know.

    When they went to update the BIOS on their motherboard etc they would know.

    And on and on and on and on............

    > "fear of being incompatable" has driven Microsoft marketshare for over 20 years.

    No.

    The idea of being a square peg in a round hole scares people who need to
    get work done and could care less about an operating system as it's the
    applications that allows them to do their work.
    At least from their perspective.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Let us just admit.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:44:20 -0400
    <1tjftuwvnzzzv.trg4wnihkijc.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:14:02 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> You said 'accurate language' then you made a liar of yourself.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is the WORST available solution for practically everyone on the planet
    >>> who uses a desktop computer.

    >> If you want to be "accurate", then you must admit that the vast majority
    >> of people on the planet would barely notice if you secretly traded out
    >> their Windows boxes for a Mac or Linux.

    > For surfing,

    An issue, to be sure; there are Shockwave games out
    there even now. For example:

    http://www.miniclip.com/games/tennis-doubles/en/

    Most of Miniclip's stuff is Flash, but not all. I know
    of other gamesites as well. To be fair, Shockwave
    is becoming increasingly rare...but they are there.

    Disney in particular uses Flash, and while I think Linux is
    up to date for Disney, it's a treadmill. Video streaming
    is hit and miss; msnbc.msn.com works, but green960.com does
    not. (I believe this is a player issue, not a codec one.
    I've not investigated it in detail.)

    > email,

    Linux works fine for email, though there might be minor
    issues regarding presentation.

    > occasional letter writing,

    Ditto.

    > probably not.
    > As soon as they went to hook up their digital camera,

    Hit and miss, and that may depend on whether one's discussing
    a still picture unit (which looks to Linux like a USB drive
    and generally works), or a webcam (which AFAIK is hit and miss).

    > iPod,

    Unknown.

    > wireless router

    Not sure what you mean here; did you mean a wireless router card,
    or a connection to an external wireless router "hotspot" or unit?

    The former I know little about; the latter appears to
    be hit and miss, though Gentoo in particular has good
    instructions on how to set up a wireless system *once
    the drivers are working*. (In my case, I could also get
    the drivers working and my Wifi is therefore functional,
    if generally useless as I'm not near any "hot spots".
    However, $EMPLOYER is making noises about setting up one;
    this will be interesting.)

    > or tried to visit the iTunes store they would know.

    I don't do iTunes so can't say.

    > Then when they went to plan their latest excursion to download to their GPS
    > unit, they would know.

    Ditto.

    > When they went to run software that their children bring home from school,
    > like SAT prep software, they would know.

    Ditto.

    > When they started college and the school sends out the requirements for
    > student computers, they would know.

    The requirements for student *systems*; get it right.
    A computer is an inert hulk without Windows, Linux, or
    FreeBSD, and in most cases Windows is preinstalled.
    Once Windows is installed it becomes a system. Once
    Linux is installed it may become a system depending
    on the user's needs, and compatibility with uplinks.

    > When they went to update the BIOS on their motherboard etc they would know.

    That is an issue that's best taken up with the mobo manufacturer.

    > And on and on and on and on............
    >
    >> "fear of being incompatable" has driven Microsoft marketshare
    >> for over 20 years.

    > No.
    >
    > The idea of being a square peg in a round hole scares people who need to
    > get work done and could care less about an operating system as it's the
    > applications that allows them to do their work.
    > At least from their perspective.

    Exactly. Ignorance and apathy are Microsoft's greatest allies.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    "Woman? What woman?"