Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system? - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99 wrote on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 03:08:47 -0700 (PDT) : > Fourth time (and I've lost count) of this question: an older system, > running fine but very slow on Windows 2000, might need (I increasingly > ...

  1. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system?

    <53d31e23-795b-43b3-a83d-2aca20f9eb1e@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > Fourth time (and I've lost count) of this question: an older system,
    > running fine but very slow on Windows 2000, might need (I increasingly
    > question this) Linux, just for "fun" (pulling teeth fun). Which
    > distro? It's a Pentium II, small HD about 2 or maybe 3 GB, with 225
    > or probably 512 MB RAM.

    [rest snipped]

    What category of answer would you want here? You said
    you wanted a "straight answer"; I want to know what you're
    expecting in this context.

    Otherwise, backup the user's data and reinstall Win2k and
    have done with it; that machine's probably suffering from
    bit rot or malware. You'll also want to set the virtual
    memory settings to a constant 400 MB, to predispose paging
    file fragmentation in the future.

    It's not rocket science; it just needs to be done on Windows boxes.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Murphy was an optimist.

  2. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a oldersystem?

    On Jun 30, 3:06*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    wrote:

    > Otherwise, backup the user's data and reinstall Win2k and
    > have done with it; that machine's probably suffering from
    > bit rot or malware. *You'll also want to set the virtual
    > memory settings to a constant 400 MB, to predispose paging
    > file fragmentation in the future.
    >
    > It's not rocket science; it just needs to be done on Windows boxes.

    Thanks Ghost, that's a straight answer I guess. What I will do now is
    this: I will buy yet another SCSI controller card, since my BIOS does
    not support 20+ GB drives, and the first SCSI controller card had a
    weird form factor that prevented it from fitting into the PCI slot for
    this system. Then I will install a 40 GB drive. Then I will see if
    this helps. Then, if all that fails, I might try Linux, but honestly
    I don't know what Linux would easily work on even a PII with a 40 GB
    drive (since I'm confident I will be able to eventually get a bigger
    HD on this old system). No help from any of these threads, though I
    do have Puppy Linux (from last year), some version of Ubuntu (forget
    now, it's in my CD bin), Vector (as of this week downloaded). Any
    other suggestions welcome.

    Failing ALL of the above, I searched eBay and found that a Pentium III
    or IV system with a 20 GB HD goes for around $120 total (includes
    shipping). Since I don't need a monitor or KB, I might just buy this
    type system, though for political reasons too complicated to get into,
    this user is a cheapskate and prefers never to buy new stuff "if the
    old stuff can be made to work". One of these ecology freaks who
    thinks modern life has too much waste. To make them happy, I might
    have to repair the old system, unless I can, as I outlined above,
    convince them there's no hope for this old system.

    BTW on any Pentium III or IV system I wonder what Linux flavor might
    easily install on that, but I'll cross that bridge later.

    RL

  3. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older ?system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy raylopez99 wrote:
    > Thanks Ghost, that's a straight answer I guess. What I will do now is
    > this: I will buy yet another SCSI controller card, since my BIOS does
    > not support 20+ GB drives, and the first SCSI controller card had a
    > weird form factor that prevented it from fitting into the PCI slot for
    > this system. Then I will install a 40 GB drive. Then I will see if
    > this helps. Then, if all that fails, I might try Linux, but honestly
    > I don't know what Linux would easily work on even a PII with a 40 GB
    > drive (since I'm confident I will be able to eventually get a bigger
    > HD on this old system). No help from any of these threads, though I
    > do have Puppy Linux (from last year), some version of Ubuntu (forget
    > now, it's in my CD bin), Vector (as of this week downloaded). Any
    > other suggestions welcome.

    Lopez, you're such a lying pile of ****e.
    I told you waaaaay back that linux worked ok on a 486 with only 16 meg of
    RAM and a 400meg hard disk. Big deal, that was a while back and things've
    got bigger since then, but if you choose WHAT you install from the distro,
    you can fine tune it to your hearts content. Distros only say "miniumum
    diskspace... xxxx" if you select their pre-defined installs.

    "Not sure if linux'll work on a PII even with 40gig disk, indeed...."

    Pa-thetic.
    --
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |

  4. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 00:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
    <707fc0f4-fb07-4c43-aa3d-d42771df3304@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Jun 30, 3:06*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Otherwise, backup the user's data and reinstall Win2k and
    >> have done with it; that machine's probably suffering from
    >> bit rot or malware. *You'll also want to set the virtual
    >> memory settings to a constant 400 MB, to predispose paging
    >> file fragmentation in the future.
    >>
    >> It's not rocket science; it just needs to be done on Windows boxes.
    >>

    > Thanks Ghost, that's a straight answer I guess. What I will do now is
    > this: I will buy yet another SCSI controller card, since my BIOS does
    > not support 20+ GB drives, and the first SCSI controller card had a
    > weird form factor that prevented it from fitting into the PCI slot for
    > this system. Then I will install a 40 GB drive. Then I will see if
    > this helps. Then, if all that fails, I might try Linux, but honestly
    > I don't know what Linux would easily work on even a PII with a 40 GB
    > drive (since I'm confident I will be able to eventually get a bigger
    > HD on this old system).

    You've yet to answer *my* question. Why are you installing
    Linux on this machine? What is this machine's ultimate
    purpose in life? What does its user intend? Why is reinstalling
    Win2k and reconfiguring its virtual memory properly not an option?

    And why add a SCSI controller? Does the user need more
    disk space? 40GB is peanuts nowadays; I just bought a
    1 terabyte Firewire-capable solution for $300. Granted,
    it may depend on the area, and I doubt that klunker has Firewire,
    though it might have USB.

    > No help from any of these threads, though I
    > do have Puppy Linux (from last year), some version of Ubuntu (forget
    > now, it's in my CD bin), Vector (as of this week downloaded). Any
    > other suggestions welcome.

    Gentoo, if you're not averse to a fair bit o' tweaking. ;-)
    Call it a personal bias of mine.

    > Failing ALL of the above, I searched eBay and found that a Pentium III
    > or IV system with a 20 GB HD goes for around $120 total (includes
    > shipping). Since I don't need a monitor or KB, I might just buy this
    > type system, though for political reasons too complicated to get into,
    > this user is a cheapskate and prefers never to buy new stuff "if the
    > old stuff can be made to work". One of these ecology freaks who
    > thinks modern life has too much waste.

    It is legally required in California to turn waste
    machines into recycling areas...I don't know the details.
    The general idea is to recover things such as gold and
    prevent pollution.

    YMMV in other states, of course.

    > To make them happy, I might
    > have to repair the old system, unless I can, as I outlined above,
    > convince them there's no hope for this old system.

    Plenty of hope if you can find a copy of Win2k. After all,
    it worked fine on that era system. If you really want
    Linux, though, be prepared for a lot of interesting
    questions -- from me, if nothing else.

    > BTW on any Pentium III or IV system I wonder what Linux flavor might
    > easily install on that, but I'll cross that bridge later.

    Define "easily". There's a *lot* of details, especially
    where RAID is involved. I can't help you much on RAID; my
    systems don't have it. I *do* have PIII and PIV systems
    successfully running Gentoo Linux, admittedly (this
    particular one has a PIII, 320 MB, primary drive 4.3 GB,
    secondary drive 300 GB). I also have mentioned my Athlon,
    Kayak, and nx9010; the Athlon is 1.7 GHz, the Kayak 833
    MHz PIII (he could take a second processor, if I can find
    one...not horribly likely nowadays), and the nx9010 is a
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 mobile; /proc/cpuinfo doesn't tell me
    what variety exactly.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;

  5. Re: For the FOURTH time, please, which Linux distro for a older ?system?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Andrew Halliwell

    wrote
    on Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:42:19 +0100
    :
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy raylopez99 wrote:
    >> Thanks Ghost, that's a straight answer I guess. What I will do now is
    >> this: I will buy yet another SCSI controller card, since my BIOS does
    >> not support 20+ GB drives, and the first SCSI controller card had a
    >> weird form factor that prevented it from fitting into the PCI slot for
    >> this system. Then I will install a 40 GB drive. Then I will see if
    >> this helps. Then, if all that fails, I might try Linux, but honestly
    >> I don't know what Linux would easily work on even a PII with a 40 GB
    >> drive (since I'm confident I will be able to eventually get a bigger
    >> HD on this old system). No help from any of these threads, though I
    >> do have Puppy Linux (from last year), some version of Ubuntu (forget
    >> now, it's in my CD bin), Vector (as of this week downloaded). Any
    >> other suggestions welcome.

    > Lopez, you're such a lying pile of ****e.
    > I told you waaaaay back that linux worked ok on a 486 with only 16 meg of
    > RAM and a 400meg hard disk.

    I had Debian working on a *386* at one point, with 4MB
    RAM (it needed swap just to boot). Installing it there
    was tricky. I still have the mobo (AFAIK it's still
    functional, though I've not put it in a box and fired it
    up lately). Granted, that was little more than Linux,
    bash, init, and vi, and Debian now wants 14 MB RAM, so I'd
    have to build it from Gentoo.

    > Big deal, that was a while back and things've
    > got bigger since then, but if you choose WHAT you install from the distro,
    > you can fine tune it to your hearts content. Distros only say "miniumum
    > diskspace... xxxx" if you select their pre-defined installs.
    >
    > "Not sure if linux'll work on a PII even with 40gig disk, indeed...."
    >
    > Pa-thetic.

    Depends on what he means by the term. I doubt he'll ever get
    compiz to work well thereon. ;-) But a basic Linux system
    with leafnode capabilities, not a problem; the main issue
    is RAM, and he's got more than enough of that.

    But he does have to clarify his question, especially
    if he's getting paid; AFAIK the going rate for a Linux
    consultancy would pay for a brand new (if cheap) machine
    in less than a half-day.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net