Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot - Linux

This is a discussion on Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot - Linux ; I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it. Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires me to destroy ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.

    Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

  2. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:36:06 -0500, core dump wrote:
    >I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.

    >Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    >dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    >Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    >me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    So ****ing what? Leave it. Is a few dozen K going to destroy your
    day? I suggest you go outside with a coffee cup and wait for the next person
    to toss you a penny to cover the cost for the storage of gnome-pilot and
    a few dozen other apps you are to ****ing anal to allow to be on the
    same hard drive.

  3. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    core dump wrote:
    > I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >
    > Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    > dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    > Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    > me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    I didn't know Synaptic had such a cool feature...

  4. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    * core dump peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >
    > Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    > dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    > Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    > me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    Use aptitude. It has a lot more options, including marking package a
    being manually installed. I'm guessing you can do that, and do

    $ locate gnome-pilot

    to find out what you should delete manually to free up some space on
    your obviously cramped system.

    --
    There is something in the pang of change
    More than the heart can bear,

  5. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:36:06 -0500, core dump wrote:

    > I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >
    > Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to dependencies.
    > Synaptic informs me it will also remove Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall
    > a small component requires me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    You might ask in the Ubuntu forums why removing the desktop is necessary
    when removing gnome-pilot.

    And, did you check which apps would be installed? The desktop might have
    been un-installed and then re-installed due to some weird dependency thin.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:36:06 -0500, core dump wrote:

    > I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >
    > Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to dependencies.
    > Synaptic informs me it will also remove Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall
    > a small component requires me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    It seems this has been reported and in under consideration:

    From looking around, it also seems that if you remove gnome-pilot, Ubuntu
    desktop will be removed. Your system will run fine, but there will be
    problems upgrading. When you re-install Ubuntu desktop, gnome-pilot will
    be re-installed.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:36:42 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * core dump peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >>
    >> Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to dependencies.
    >> Synaptic informs me it will also remove Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall
    >> a small component requires me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    > Use aptitude. It has a lot more options, including marking package a
    > being manually installed. I'm guessing you can do that, and do
    >
    > $ locate gnome-pilot
    >
    > to find out what you should delete manually to free up some space on
    > your obviously cramped system.

    Removing gnome-pilot will remove Ubuntu desktop. Installing Ubuntu
    desktop will install gnome-pilot. It is a reported bug.

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On 2008-07-01, DFS wrote:
    > core dump wrote:
    >> I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >>
    >> Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    >> dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    >> Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    >> me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    > I didn't know Synaptic had such a cool feature...

    ....if it didn't do something like this, people like you would
    whine when the removed functionality didn't work automagically
    at some point in the future.

    Yeah, Ubuntu thinks that pilot support is a necessary component
    of the desktop...

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  9. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:39:05 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-01, DFS wrote:
    >> core dump wrote:
    >>> I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >>>
    >>> Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to dependencies.
    >>> Synaptic informs me it will also remove Ubuntu desktop! so to
    >>> uninstall a small component requires me to destroy loads of other
    >>> stuff. Great!

    >> I didn't know Synaptic had such a cool feature...

    > ...if it didn't do something like this, people like you would whine when
    > the removed functionality didn't work automagically at some point in the
    > future.
    >
    > Yeah, Ubuntu thinks that pilot support is a necessary component
    > of the desktop...

    It seems that gnome-pilot is tied to Ubuntu desktop, which is required to
    do updates. Apparently gnome-pilot and Ubuntu desktop can both be removed
    without system harm, except that ability to update is missing. Re-install
    Ubuntu desktop, and gnome-pilot gets installed. I learned this from a bug
    report in the Ubuntu forums. I posted the bug number in another message/
    thread.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:36:42 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * core dump peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >>> I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.

    >> Use aptitude. It has a lot more options, including marking package a
    >> being manually installed. I'm guessing you can do that, and do
    >>
    >> $ locate gnome-pilot
    >>
    >> to find out what you should delete manually to free up some space on
    >> your obviously cramped system.

    > Removing gnome-pilot will remove Ubuntu desktop. Installing Ubuntu
    > desktop will install gnome-pilot. It is a reported bug.

    Whatever. I'm saying that, with aptitude, he may be able to work around
    that bug.

    --
    Linux: Where Don't We Want To Go Today?
    -- Submitted by Pancrazio De Mauro, paraphrasing some well-known sales talk

  11. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On 2008-07-01, Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:39:05 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    >>> I didn't know Synaptic had such a cool feature...

    >> ...if it didn't do something like this, people like you would whine when
    >> the removed functionality didn't work automagically at some point in the
    >> future.
    >>
    >> Yeah, Ubuntu thinks that pilot support is a necessary component
    >> of the desktop...

    > It seems that gnome-pilot is tied to Ubuntu desktop, which is required to
    > do updates. Apparently gnome-pilot and Ubuntu desktop can both be removed
    > without system harm, except that ability to update is missing. Re-install
    > Ubuntu desktop, and gnome-pilot gets installed. I learned this from a bug
    > report in the Ubuntu forums. I posted the bug number in another message/
    > thread.

    I would imagine there is a whole lot of stuff tied to ubuntu-desktop
    and not just gnome-pilot. I guess the real question is what is and what
    is not appropriate.

    --
    vi isn't easy to use. |||
    / | \

  12. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:55:34 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:36:42 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >>
    >>> * core dump peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Use aptitude. It has a lot more options, including marking package a
    >>> being manually installed. I'm guessing you can do that, and do
    >>>
    >>> $ locate gnome-pilot
    >>>
    >>> to find out what you should delete manually to free up some space on
    >>> your obviously cramped system.

    >> Removing gnome-pilot will remove Ubuntu desktop. Installing Ubuntu
    >> desktop will install gnome-pilot. It is a reported bug.

    > Whatever. I'm saying that, with aptitude, he may be able to work around
    > that bug.

    Not according to what I have been able to find, unfortunately.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:58:38 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-07-01, Rick wrote:

    >>> ...if it didn't do something like this, people like you would whine
    >>> when the removed functionality didn't work automagically at some point
    >>> in the future.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, Ubuntu thinks that pilot support is a necessary component
    >>> of the desktop...

    >> It seems that gnome-pilot is tied to Ubuntu desktop, which is required
    >> to do updates. Apparently gnome-pilot and Ubuntu desktop can both be
    >> removed without system harm, except that ability to update is missing.
    >> Re-install Ubuntu desktop, and gnome-pilot gets installed. I learned
    >> this from a bug report in the Ubuntu forums. I posted the bug number in
    >> another message/ thread.

    > I would imagine there is a whole lot of stuff tied to ubuntu-desktop
    > and not just gnome-pilot. I guess the real question is what is and what
    > is not appropriate.

    Apperently that is what the developers are trying to figure out after
    this bug was reported and meto-ed.

    --
    Rick

  14. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    JEDIDIAH writes:

    > On 2008-07-01, Rick wrote:

    >>> ...if it didn't do something like this, people like you would whine when
    >>> the removed functionality didn't work automagically at some point in the
    >>> future.
    >>>
    >>> Yeah, Ubuntu thinks that pilot support is a necessary component
    >>> of the desktop...

    >> It seems that gnome-pilot is tied to Ubuntu desktop, which is required to
    >> do updates. Apparently gnome-pilot and Ubuntu desktop can both be removed
    >> without system harm, except that ability to update is missing. Re-install
    >> Ubuntu desktop, and gnome-pilot gets installed. I learned this from a bug
    >> report in the Ubuntu forums. I posted the bug number in another message/
    >> thread.

    > I would imagine there is a whole lot of stuff tied to ubuntu-desktop
    > and not just gnome-pilot. I guess the real question is what is and what
    > is not appropriate.

    Did you work that out all by yourself?

    Wow!

    Jeb has suggested that people should consider "dependencies".

    LOL. What a load of hot air!

    Hint : people know.

    --
    I really think XP is going to be a flop. Between the glut of hardware out
    there (and slowing down of purchasing), and the fact that W2K is

  15. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:29:46 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > JEDIDIAH writes:

    >>> It seems that gnome-pilot is tied to Ubuntu desktop, which is required
    >>> to do updates. Apparently gnome-pilot and Ubuntu desktop can both be
    >>> removed without system harm, except that ability to update is missing.
    >>> Re-install Ubuntu desktop, and gnome-pilot gets installed. I learned
    >>> this from a bug report in the Ubuntu forums. I posted the bug number
    >>> in another message/ thread.

    >> I would imagine there is a whole lot of stuff tied to
    >> ubuntu-desktop
    >> and not just gnome-pilot. I guess the real question is what is and what
    >> is not appropriate.

    > Did you work that out all by yourself?
    >
    > Wow!
    >
    > Jeb has suggested that people should consider "dependencies".
    >
    > LOL. What a load of hot air!
    >
    > Hint : people know.

    Onservation: you didn't help provide an information about the bug, did
    you?

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:55:34 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >>> Removing gnome-pilot will remove Ubuntu desktop. Installing Ubuntu
    >>> desktop will install gnome-pilot. It is a reported bug.

    >> Whatever. I'm saying that, with aptitude, he may be able to work around
    >> that bug.

    > Not according to what I have been able to find, unfortunately.

    I wonder what would happen if he simply deleted the file. Probably
    would come back during the next update.

    --
    Recently deceased blues guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughan "comes to" after
    his death. He sees Jimi Hendrix sitting next to him, tuning his guitar.

  17. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    "core dump" wrote in message
    >I have no need for gnome-pilot, so trying to remove it.
    >
    > Add/remove tells me to use synaptic instead due to
    > dependencies. Synaptic informs me it will also remove
    > Ubuntu desktop! so to uninstall a small component requires
    > me to destroy loads of other stuff. Great!

    FYI - I think that the Epiphany browser is also tied to the Ubuntu desktop.
    You can't remove the Epiphany browser without also removing the desktop.

    This used to be the case at one time about a year ago. I'm not sure if it's
    still true or not. I tried a quick Google search and it looks like it's
    still the case but perhaps there's a link somewhere in there that proves
    otherwise.

    -ss

  18. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On 2008-07-01, Rick wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 09:55:34 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Removing gnome-pilot will remove Ubuntu desktop. Installing Ubuntu
    >>> desktop will install gnome-pilot. It is a reported bug.

    >> Whatever. I'm saying that, with aptitude, he may be able to work around
    >> that bug.

    > Not according to what I have been able to find, unfortunately.

    ...sounds like the "bug" is in the "data".

    Apt is just doing what it's supposed to do.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  19. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On 2008-07-01, Hadron wrote:
    > Rick writes:

    >>> Did you work that out all by yourself?
    >>>
    >>> Wow!
    >>>
    >>> Jeb has suggested that people should consider "dependencies".
    >>>
    >>> LOL. What a load of hot air!
    >>>
    >>> Hint : people know.

    >> Onservation: you didn't help provide an information about the bug, did
    >> you?

    > I know what the bug is. I used Ubuntu. It happens all the time. It's
    > simply yet another f*cked up dependency. It happens. You had already
    > pointed this out. Why would I do it again or do what Jeb did?

    Not get excited over things that don't really matter?

    [deletia]

    I can certainly understand why some sort of hotplug package might be
    considered part of the desktop core meta package.

    This would be one of those differences in opinion that you don't
    seem to be willing to acknowledge or account for that leads to diversity
    in software and other products.

    --

    iTunes is not progressive. It's a throwback. |||
    / | \

  20. Re: Ubuntu gripe No. 2 - gnome-pilot

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:46:54 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Whatever. I'm saying that, with aptitude, he may be able to work
    >>> around that bug.

    >> Not according to what I have been able to find, unfortunately.

    > I wonder what would happen if he simply deleted the file. Probably
    > would come back during the next update.

    "simply deleted the file" - generally not a good idea.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast